• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ryan Mink - Mediocre

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
The site's been dead to me since they pulled the plug on the forums. I did visit it once out of curiosity, but it kept trying to push me to join the site's fan club and everything got pretty laggy (which is weird considering the forums were actually designed really well despite all the complaints people made).

I did have a look at the articles though, and it turns out the comments sections are still alive - and they've got the same circle-jerk going from before (people seemed to like the comments/news threads but I never saw them as much of a step up from Facebook tbh). And a certain ex-mod is still hanging around hectoring fans who do as much as question Ozzie's choice of tie colour.
Really? Who's the ex-moderator?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I think I was foiled by the 15 post rule. None of my posts under my troll account were submitting. :(

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I think I was foiled by the 15 post rule. None of my posts under my troll account were submitting. :(
I think it was completely insane how strict and stupid some of those rules were. All it did was create a space for trolls. One of the first things I wanted with this website was a more chill out environment. We really don't have any rules and there have been almost 0 problems with people on here. I also never touch that old website anymore.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I think it was completely insane how strict and stupid some of those rules were. All it did was create a space for trolls. One of the first things I wanted with this website was a more chill out environment. We really don't have any rules and there have been almost 0 problems with people on here. I also never touch that old website anymore.
Yeah, it's just disappointing, though. I spent a lot of time there, and just when I was feeling confident enough to sign up, they announce that they're planning on closing the forums.

On the topic of medicore Ravens reporting, have you thought about starting a youtube channel where some posters can create videos discussing various things, like draft talk, game recaps, player and scheme evaluations. I think it might help grow the site and lead to better Ravens coverage.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, it's just disappointing, though. I spent a lot of time there, and just when I was feeling confident enough to sign up, they announce that they're planning on closing the forums.

On the topic of medicore Ravens reporting, have you thought about starting a youtube channel where some posters can create videos discussing various things, like draft talk, game recaps, player and scheme evaluations. I think it might help grow the site and lead to better Ravens coverage.
Haha yea some of us on the staff team was talking about that earlier today. I think a public video page on here is something we might see within the next week or two ^_^

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
You guys were never there for moderator five. He made your life miserable regardless of whether you were actually doing something wrong or not.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I keep filling out the "contact us" forms on the website and blasting them for being stupid. and that their content is bad.
I mean you're not even wrong on that. Not only do they post shitty videos and articles, they repost them 20 times a month lol. What annoys me the most about them being bad is the inside scoop they have. They can talk to any player or coach whenever they want. Imagine getting payed to interview and talk with Flacco or Suggs! That's the dream.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean you're not even wrong on that. Not only do they post shitty videos and articles, they repost them 20 times a month lol. What annoys me the most about them being bad is the inside scoop they have. They can talk to any player or coach whenever they want. Imagine getting payed to interview and talk with Flacco or Suggs! That's the dream.

that's what annoys me so much about the coaches in cars having coffee thing - they have access to the coordinator/coach in front of a camera and they can talk about pretty much anything and they end up mostly rehashing history that you can find on their wikipedia or talking in vagueries about the future or making shitty jokes... like they never ask anything remotely insightful despite the visible access

I dont really care about what greg roman did in college if i know that its literally just a standard question and its the same deal as dean pees and wink martindale and bobby engram... the interesting things about the greg roman one was how he spoke about losing to the ravens in the superbowl and the plays at the end of the game...

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Thats literally the worst part. THEY SHARE AN OFFICE WITH THE TEAM! They have greater access than any other media member, yet 90% of the time their content is blatant copy/paste from national media outlets.

I get they work for the team, so theres certain obstacles and the team wants to limit access, but their job is to be an extension of the fan base -- meaning theyre supposed to go in there with the mind of the fan and ask the questions we'd ask, find out the things we want to know, and then translate the things that are happening in the home base back to us.

Of course theres going to be a limit, but they need to push that boundary. Push for some more extensive practice footage, push for more play interviews (and ask actual football questions when you get them!), and dont be afraid to hold them accountable. When you get Pees in a car for 20 minutes -- ask about late game collapses. When you talk to Roman, ask him straight up what needs to be done to fix the run game.

Yes, theyre Ravens employees - but they're also responsible to us. If the media team isnt connecting with fans, inspiring deeper engagement, then theyre not doing the job.

--
Side note:*** time for some objectivity -- you guys see the new podcast theyre releasing?? Of course, its Sarah Ellison (not Mink or Downing) but it looks pretty good.

There are going to be different series and the first one is an in depth look at the Harbaugh family. 9 episode series, each on a different topic but will include interviews with family members, friends, players, etc... (25 in all)

THIS is content. You cant cover Harbs in a 5 minute interview asking fluff questions. But NINE episodes, interviewing his family and friends.... THATS what i want. And hopefully they move on to Flacco, Suggs, Jimmy, the 2000 and 2012 SB team - this could become a 30 for 30 like series taking on some really interesting Ravens related topics (1996 draft... or maybe a bit more macro just that first season overall from moving the team, to picking the name, the colors, the draft, filling out a staff, etc...).

This could be cool. And all 9 episodes are already at least planned, so it wont be off the cuff and amateurish like the other podcast. This has a road map with a central theme. Thank you Sarah Ellison for taking your job seriously.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
that's what annoys me so much about the coaches in cars having coffee thing - they have access to the coordinator/coach in front of a camera and they can talk about pretty much anything and they end up mostly rehashing history that you can find on their wikipedia or talking in vagueries about the future or making shitty jokes... like they never ask anything remotely insightful despite the visible access

I dont really care about what greg roman did in college if i know that its literally just a standard question and its the same deal as dean pees and wink martindale and bobby engram... the interesting things about the greg roman one was how he spoke about losing to the ravens in the superbowl and the plays at the end of the game...
EXACTLY. I was excited when i saw that first episode, and thought theyd do it for the whole staff. So far just 2...

And then the questions.... he literally just want through a chronological history of his coaching stops... cool if you want to quickly run through that but wheres the follow up like "youre known for putting together top running games. where in your career did you really solidify or get the basis for your successful philosophy? Was in one mentor in particular you picked it up from, or was it a culmination of all those different stops?" And then depending on how he answers you can ask, so what did you pick up from being under this legendary coach, specifically as it pertains to running the ball (so you avoid the vague, general answers)...

When its Pees, youve got to know the pulse of the fan base and ask the questions that are always being asked... like "Theres a common perception that the defense, as good as it was for large chunks of times, was responsible for surrendering quite a few late leads due to you changing the game plan... and this perception has now lingered for a few years -- first, is there any truth to that perception in your opinion? If so, why not just stick with what's worked for 3+ quarters? If not, why do you think fans see a change in play late in games?"

Stuff like that. Its not sticking it to him. Its giving him a chance to answer his critics and educate the fan base... and that can help unify fan perception. Maybe he admits some mistakes and tries to explain to fans why it was done that way, and fans get behind him for manning up.... or he explains well why its a misconception and a lot of fans change their tune.

Either way that sort of interview makes fans feel like they have a voice into the team, they have an ally in the media team... journalists/media people are supposed to be objective and just get the truth... not help in manufacturing propaganda to distract people -- which is what i feel Mink/Downing do.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The one interview I did like was with Eric DeCosta a few weeks before the draft. We need more interviews like that one,