• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ryan Mink - Mediocre

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
dear lord they should cancel ravens mailbag. It's the same cliche crap every single week. Same boring, predictable responses. Want to do something cool? how about audio chats with the fans..

It doesnt help that both mink and garrett have as much charisma as joe flacco and jay cutler.
Agree. They pick the most obvious, bland questions and give the most general answers ever.

Fan: What is the expectation for the passing game in 2017?
Downing: Perriman will take next step, we signed Maclin, and Joe is another year removed from injury. NEXT!
Fan: No, but like specifically... what is the plan to get all 3 involved in the passing game, how is Roman's influence going to change the passing game specifically on the use of the TE's, and what will West/Dixon's role be in obvious passing situations since Weddle is such a good receiving back and expected to have a great impact there?
Downing: I said next...
Mink: And another fan asks who do you think will start at Center? Great question. So far, Jensen and Urschel have split snaps so its anyones guess at this point. Jensen has been more of a mauler, but Urschel has bulked up and his experience in playoff games gives him an edge there. And there's always the possibility they add a veteran as teams make cuts closer to the season.
Fan: Yea... but you didnt answer my question. Who, in your "expert" opinion, is going to win the job? Is one of the in house guys good enough to actually start for us based on what youve seen, or will they have to bring in a vet?
Downing: ...... And thats been the Mailbag for this weeks folks. Thanks for sending in your questions. As always keep em coming - you can send those to [email protected], which we'll ignore and make up some softball questions that we'll still fail to answer with any real insight for you.
Mink: Pumpkin beer! My softball team is better than Downings, and I would beat him in a fight.... woo hoo.

There you have it. I just summarized Mink/Downing and their contributions to the ravens website.

K-Dog

MVP
Naaah, it's so ironic even Alanis Morrisette would understand it.

[Off topic]
The ironic thing about that song is that there is not one single irony in that song.

Which begs the question.
Is she brilliant or an idiot?

Tank

Hall of Famer
[Off topic]
The ironic thing about that song is that there is not one single irony in that song.

Which begs the question.
Is she brilliant or an idiot?

She actually is brilliant, and extremely talented. And she's also extremely attractive. ;-)

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I imagine they have limited access to the team and that their work is subject to censorship.

It's embarrassing how little effort goes into Ravens programming and coverage when compared to The Redskins.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I imagine they have limited access to the team and that their work is subject to censorship.

It's embarrassing how little effort goes into Ravens programming and coverage in comparison to The Redskins.
I agree, but its understandable being that Washington is one of the top markets in the country.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor

It's embarrassing how little effort goes into Ravens programming and coverage when compared to The Redskins.
And on top of that, the team is focused on improving the "gameday experience" by making upgrades on the video boards and other broadcasting stuff inside M&T Bank Stadium even though probably 90% of us aren't able to go to games despite being die hard fans instead of actually improving the content given to us on the website or other outlets.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah the mailbag videos aren't worth a hoot...

Both the questions chosen and the responses are far too generic.

Neither will ever take a definitive stand and give their opinion or insight on matters being discussed.

If question goes in such as "who do you expect to start opposite Suggs week one? "
*The could easily state who they like the most from the limited action they've seen, and they could say look for us to update our predictions as the offseason progresses ".

* Give some insight as to who you think will win the battle at Center, without getting too indepth.
Or at least talk about some of the one on one battles in practice.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Or in Maryland for that matter.

There is a YouTube channel called, "The Ravens Space" that airs five days a week.

My initial reaction was that the host knew absolutely nothing about draft prospects and had some rather off base evaluation immediately following the draft.

But the host is extremely passionate and dedicated and does a great job of passing on daily news blurbs. Seems a likeable sort as well.
I watched that once or twice around draft time and beginning of OTA's.

Couldnt stand it. The guy has no presentation skills... maybe hes nervous when doing it - i dont want to kill the guy, good for him for taking that initiative and putting himself out there... that alone deserves some credit.

But like someone else said, its basically LFW in video form. Quick run down with the most basic, surface view only analysis.

I was thinking about this last night.... we can all keep whining about how theres nothing good out there for our team, or we can do something about it. If we start making content, its quality enough, and we get a little bit of a following - we can get credentialed to have access to press conferences (even if no one has the time to be there physically, you can call/video conference in), and probably even have access to players/coaches/FO staff to ask our own questions and do our own interviews.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

Couldnt stand it. The guy has no presentation skills... maybe hes nervous when doing it - i dont want to kill the guy, good for him for taking that initiative and putting himself out there... that alone deserves some credit.

But like someone else said, its basically LFW in video form. Quick run down with the most basic, surface view only analysis.

I was thinking about this last night.... we can all keep whining about how theres nothing good out there for our team, or we can do something about it. If we start making content, its quality enough, and we get a little bit of a following - we can get credentialed to have access to press conferences (even if no one has the time to be there physically, you can call/video conference in), and probably even have access to players/coaches/FO staff to ask our own questions and do our own interviews.
I've been thinking about that too. The purpleflock dudes could start a youtube channel that could be dedicated to talking about the Ravens. Every week, somebody here could create a video discussing things and then send it to whoever runs the channel. It would help the site and also create some quality content for Ravens fans. And if it does well, maybe some of us can get inside access to the team.

There could also be a draft series during the season and leading up to the draft.

I have some more ideas that I could add later.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yes, but I give the guy a ton of credit for starting it and for the dedication it takes to do it consistently.
Besides, when you're starving, even crusty bread would suffice.

I've always liked the idea of a few in roundtable discussion regarding the draft. Specifically relative to our Ravens.
I enjoy most our debating different prospects that time of year and comparing notes....playing GM,etc.

There really is tremendous passion to go along with knowledge and personal insight(amongst us at least), that time of year.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
I'm down to participate in that.
I would be too.

And the cool thing is, if enough people get involved, no one gets overwhelmed with too much to do. Everyone stays in their lane, does their re-occurring piece or project, makes sure its consistent, and as a group theres consistent content being pumped out.

Obviously youd need an editor kind of in charge who acts as quality control and makes sure everything passes the smell test, is interesting, and is fact-checked... but otherwise it wouldnt be too tough.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

I have to agree. We need to do be productive about this sort of thing. The Raven Space's analysis can be absolutely horrible and he has 0 personality and presentation skill. Someone needs to do something

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Garrett PM'ed me too around the same time... kinda came at me for insulting them and their ability.

Sounds like we had almost the exact conversation.

I told him that if I wanted suggestions or critiques on pumpkin flavored beers they'd be my go to guys.... on football? Not so much.

When i saw the site was starting a podcast I was pumped... finally a podcast that has inside access to the team. Thought it could be great. But their interviews with the players suck. No football talk with them really. Just the basic, company line questions. I get that theyre employed by the team and their job is to be positive and all that, but you could promote the team with actual football talk.... not asking Weddle about how he played baseball in highschool and asking if he'll play on their softball team.

I have a feeling the site is hurting for views now. The content is horrible. I tend to read the LFW just bc it rounds up what every other outlet is reporting on Ravens related things.... but that basically sums it up. The only daily or semi-frequent piece worth reading is a simple copy/paste job of other media coverage.

And I swear if they post another players "camp/OTA highlights" video that literally shows a split second of 1 or 2 plays, filled in with music and other clips of standing around or walking out of the facility -- i may never return to that site again. I know they dont always allow media on the field, but they dont have more than 1 or 2 catches from the WR's or throws from Joe??? Even in 1on1 drills or anything? We're starving for content... or insight into how the players are developing. Show me something!

it is weird that in a world of increased access all around to sports stars and sports teams etc. that the ravens seem to be moving in the opposite direction with more limited access - if the ravens ever want to be a larger market team then they have to accept that the media need access to something be it like peter king in the niners draft room, be it more open training sessions where the nfl can send someone down for an entire minicamp, be it hard knocks or all or nothing - the way they can grow their market is by encouraging new fans to engage with them and the only way to increase that fandom outside of maryland is by increased access or winning a superbowl

we have an interesting team but without access or a larger market we wont see guys become household names etc. - and i can understand this whole under the radar dynamic but theres a difference between being underrated and overlooked and i genuinely think a huge part of it comes down to the media (who get great access to players and have great relations with the pr team but are not given much on the field stuff until the preseason)