• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Cardinals Edition

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean to flip script on Thomas, not hearing his number called might just mean they were actively avoiding him which, like when it was done to Jimmy, can be considered a good thing.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
He’s a free safety !

I mean yes, but they could have given him the treatment Tom Brady gave Ed Reed which is to identify where he is at all times and not go there.

On the deep completions, he is generally 1 on 1 on opposite side of the field like on the 55 yarder to Fitz where he was wide open, it looks like Jefferson was supposed to stick on him, but Jefferson passed him off to a defender that didn't exist while Thomas was already on other side of the field.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The most annoying thing for me is that we still don't produce enough pressure through the middle by our DL. We struggled there last few seasons and now have even less guys on the roster who can do that.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It looked to me like Roman wanted to go vanilla and trusted the defense, I think he was saving some stuff for the chiefs, because we were ROLLING early on, we saw lots of misdirections, lots of Hollywood, lots of jet motions and fakes, then all of a sudden we just started running vanilla plays into LOADED boxes and took the ball out of Lamar’s hands for 2 straight quarters, and when we passed it was also very vanilla, no RPO type looks, just shotgun quick drops and taking shots at 5-15 yards on mostly vertical routes. It all looked way too vanilla for me to think it wasn’t intentional. Although I will say that the few times we wanted to lean on Lamar’s arm, for a short stretch, he wasn’t hitting the mark, he rebounded though.

For the defense, I did NOT like that we were blitzing Carr instead of averett and leaving averett on an island, I didn’t like that we were leaving the pickup duties to Tony Jefferson in the event that the corner blitz didn’t get home, Jefferson blew a big assignment in this situation today and we’ve seen for 2 years now that when he’s put in a position to execute a deep pickup on a cb blitz he’s often gonna fail, it’s literally his worst trait. I think some kind of adjustment was made after that huge catch and run to fitz because we kept blitzing Carr and the outlets weren’t there anymore and the blitz was getting home.

This was a strange game and idk what to make of it, I think the cardinals defensive front is very underrated and we were tested today and overall came out pretty strong, and the defense was tested as well by a new age offense and they were up and down and seemed to adjust as the game went on.

I feel pretty good that we’ve been so blatantly vanilla for 2 weeks and went 2-0 and looked damn good on both sides doing so, and we should have lots of tricks up our sleeves for the chiefs. We responded very well to adversity, and I think the chiefs have their hands full next week

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It looked to me like Roman wanted to go vanilla and trusted the defense, I think he was saving some stuff for the chiefs, because we were ROLLING early on, we saw lots of misdirections, lots of Hollywood, lots of jet motions and fakes, then all of a sudden we just started running vanilla plays into LOADED boxes and took the ball out of Lamar’s hands for 2 straight quarters, and when we passed it was also very vanilla, no RPO type looks, just shotgun quick drops and taking shots at 5-15 yards on mostly vertical routes. It all looked way too vanilla for me to think it wasn’t intentional. Although I will say that the few times we wanted to lean on Lamar’s arm, for a short stretch, he wasn’t hitting the mark, he rebounded though.

For the defense, I did NOT like that we were blitzing Carr instead of averett and leaving averett on an island, I didn’t like that we were leaving the pickup duties to Tony Jefferson in the event that the corner blitz didn’t get home, Jefferson blew a big assignment in this situation today and we’ve seen for 2 years now that when he’s put in a position to execute a deep pickup on a cb blitz he’s often gonna fail, it’s literally his worst trait. I think some kind of adjustment was made after that huge catch and run to fitz because we kept blitzing Carr and the outlets weren’t there anymore and the blitz was getting home.

This was a strange game and idk what to make of it, I think the cardinals defensive front is very underrated and we were tested today and overall came out pretty strong, and the defense was tested as well by a new age offense and they were up and down and seemed to adjust as the game went on.

I feel pretty good that we’ve been so blatantly vanilla for 2 weeks and went 2-0 and looked damn good on both sides doing so, and we should have lots of tricks up our sleeves for the chiefs. We responded very well to adversity, and I think the chiefs have their hands full next week
Let's hope some of that is true

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean to flip script on Thomas, not hearing his number called might just mean they were actively avoiding him which, like when it was done to Jimmy, can be considered a good thing.
Could very well be. Let's hope so.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The fact that the last big play given up was one where Jefferson blew the pickup, and with what appeared to be the same blitz concept for the rest of the fourth quarter we were getting home and not giving up big chunks, it seemed like they re-assigned Jefferson and Thomas at the end possibly

The good: Jackson to Brown. They both came up big at a crucial moment in the game.

The bad: Breakdowns in our secondary

The ugly: Stanley is becoming a penalty machine. WTF!

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
One interesting fact is Suggs didn’t add to his stat of sacked QB today as he didn’t record a sack.

what was the penalty this week? i dont think he had one...

and one of the holding calls on him last week was complete bull - was bemused that they called it

He was called for 2 today I’m pretty sure. Holding and he wasn’t set on the other, I think.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lamar Jackson is the MVP of this team and he put them on his back today. Andrews and Hollywood were very good as well. Other players in the passing game need to step up. Offensive penalties need to get corrected and I really wish we had a stud center.

I don't have much positive to say about the defense tbh. They stopped the run well I guess and got some key sacks but the bad easily outnumbers the good.
the Cardinals 10 personnel were really stressing out the defense. We did pretty well against future HOFer Larry Fitzgerald outside of that long bomb. Fitz is going to get his catches, but Averett had a really bad game and the secondary overall has had better days.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
what was the penalty this week? i dont think he had one...

and one of the holding calls on him last week was complete bull - was bemused that they called it
I don't think he did either. Zeus Jr had two holding penalties.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I felt like our whole OL had a lot of struggles today. I can’t say Yanda did but it felt like those defenders were fast and pushing forward a lot and closing the pocket in on Jackson to limit his vision and room to run