• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens Trade News: Marcus Peters, etc...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
if beasley mainly relies on coverage sacks, he could still work for us, now that we have humphrey-peters-thomas in the secondary.

especially if we got him for low-cost 5th rounder, falcons probably live to get him off their books.

is there a feasible way to finesse the cap and fit him in?
Not a chance. He's awful

GG.exe

Practice Squad
theres a dearth of available and reasonably inexpensive vet Ends out there, id ie willing to take a punt and hope better coaching and environment can turn him around. he was a top 10 pick so there has to be a high talent level innate there.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Plus we'd then need a 3rd TE on the roster and if anyone gets hurt at TE all of a sudden our group becomes ice thin. And we use a lot of 2 TE sets in our offense so that's not a position we can afford to be weak at. It needs to stay a strong point

one of the many reasons why the speculated deal always seemed unlikely to be real to me - we're a team that uses the most TEs on the field in the NFL, have 3 good ones who we use in multiple and various ways and for whom we dont have any real backups - and while Hurst hasnt exploded for us this year he's still 4th in yards and receptions for us in addition to being a vital part of our running game...

as good as ramsey is this could quite easily have handicapped our offence significantly and created a huge amount of risk

EDC may be more aggressive than Ozzie but he's not an idiot

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
theres a dearth of available and reasonably inexpensive vet Ends out there, id ie willing to take a punt and hope better coaching and environment can turn him around. he was a top 10 pick so there has to be a high talent level innate there.
I'd prefer Yanick by a mile or even Bennett. I just d ok not trust Beasley at all and hes way too expensive to take a risk on. Plus he doesn't play the run well so he'd really just be a rotational edge rusher which isn't worth it. We need a guy who's gonna play a lot

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he couldn't even fit under our salary cap and thank god for that.

GG.exe

Practice Squad
I'd prefer Yanick by a mile or even Bennett. I just d ok not trust Beasley at all and hes way too expensive to take a risk on. Plus he doesn't play the run well so he'd really just be a rotational edge rusher which isn't worth it. We need a guy who's gonna play a lot
what about cassius marsh?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'd agree with rather having Bennett even though he's not an ideal fit in a 3-4 defense and that is also a reason the Pats aren't using him as much as they did last year. That being said we are rarely in 3-4 base d. He'd have to be cheap to take him on.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

you're not going to take a punt on a player that's not showing traits that suggest they could breakout at any point - especially one with this much money involved and this bad a fit - he's a DE with very little evidence of an ability to play OLB in a 3-4 or set the edge and doesnt create consistent edge pressure despite his athletic gifts

he's a guy who's weaknesses when he was coming out have kind of borne with him...
in bullet point form:

• relies to heavily on pure athleticism to create sacks
  • not bulky enough to be a threat in power-based rushes (bulls or speed-to-power)
  • doesn't transition between moves fluidly (if ever)
  • small arms can lead to getting locked in by OL - can lead to stalled rushes
  • seems content to stay blocked if initial move doesnt bring success
  • doesnt shed blocks in the running game
  • lack of overall viciousness

also important to note with regards to being a top 10 pick: that 2015 draft was notoriously and historically poor overall as a class - other top 10 picks from that year include: Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Dante Fowler, Kevin White, Vic Beasley, Ereck Flowers

of the top 10 picks the only clear hits i'd say were Brandon Scherff, Leonard Williams, Amari Cooper (who is hit and miss) and Todd Gurley (who's not the same post-injury)

but if you extend to the whole first round in that class the picture doesnt get better... Trae Waynes, Danny Shelton, DeVante Parker, Arik Armstead (who's been better this year but poor through his first 3 years), Cameron Erving, Cedric Ogbuehi, Shane Ray, Breshad Perriman, Laken Tomlinson, Phillip Dorsett, Darmarius Randall, Stephone Anthony

there are other players who were fine in the first round that year but the only actual proper hits from that first round that ive missed out were Byron Jones, Marcus Peters (who's now on his 3rd team now he's here with us), Andrus Peat

otherwise its the bud duprees and the nelson aghalors of the world

TL;DR: Vic Beasley was a top 10 pick because of the weakness of the class he was in not because he was an exceptional talent

GG.exe

Practice Squad
Never heard of him
Cardinals signed DE Cassius Marsh.
The Seahawks parted ways with Marsh to make room for Jadeveon Clowney's nearly-$16 million salary. Marsh performed admirably enough as a pass rusher in 2018, racking up 5.5 sacks and 14 quarterback hits. Overall, he earned PFF's 76th-highest grade among 177 qualified edge defenders. Marsh is expected to serve as a rotational piece alongside starters Terrell Suggs and Chandler Jones.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter.
Sep 1, 2019, 12:30 PM ET

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Emmanuel Sanders on the block. Shouldn’t take more than a mid rounder. I’d be interested though I don’t know what his cap number is

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
can't afford him
That’s not entirely true because the Broncos could eat a lot of his salary if we arranged it a la Monroe when we traded for him or we could also work out an extension; however, both are a bit unlikely.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s not entirely true because the Broncos could eat a lot of his salary if we arranged it a la Monroe when we traded for him or we could also work out an extension; however, both are a bit unlikely.
They'd also need to pay for like 80-90% of his remaining money. If they agreed to do that, it would likely cost us a better draft pick than just a mid-to-late rounder.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
They'd also need to pay for like 80-90% of his remaining money. If they agreed to do that, it would likely cost us a better draft pick than just a mid-to-late rounder.
that's exactly what would happen and another reason why this won't happen.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I concur, just saying it’s not impossible nor unprecedented.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ok so I am totally against trading jimmy in about 99% of scenarios, but the eagles cb corps is kinda trash but they’re a team with clear aspirations of contending, could we ship jimmy for a Brandon graham?

I'd agree with rather having Bennett even though he's not an ideal fit in a 3-4 defense and that is also a reason the Pats aren't using him as much as they did last year. That being said we are rarely in 3-4 base d. He'd have to be cheap to take him on.
And really doubt Pats are all that interested in helping us out