• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and The Bengals

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Can someone explain to me how is it possible to outrun opponent 270-30 yards, starve them of possession 40-20 min (!!!) and still defend on side kick at the end because they might win?

WTF???
7 points given up with zero TOP
turnover led to 3 to close the half
Canady and bethel

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
A win is a win, just not sold on this team quite yet, and I don't think anyone should be. We have yet to beat a good team and have even looked sloppy against worse teams including today honestly.

First play of game. When you have the best kicker in football why on Earth would you kick it short when Tuck is good for a touchback every kickoff? That looked like a designed special teams play to try and pin the Bengals deep that obviously failed miserably. Sloppy, and embarrassing. Other than that it looked like our long snapper had trouble with a few low snaps/bad snaps and caused for a visably upset Sam Koch. Nothing overly concerning here but still a sloppy performance on special teams.

On offense the Ravens can really run the ball, but we know that already. Lamar Jackson is a stallion who runs all over everyone with some of the best most enjoyable jukes ever and manages to take hits/get tackled really well, which kind of sounds stupid but he hasn't had a hit shake him up yet and hopefully never and that's important. We have a deep RB group who should remain firmly in the top 5 overall this year and probably moreso top 3 as much as Lamar runs. Rushing game is not a problem.

The passing game still has yet to prove themselves which to me is a huge concern so far this season. Mark Andrews is awesome, Miles Boykin looks like he has big potential, but we still clearly lack a dominant WR who can play consistently and make things a little easier for Lamar. We will NEVER make a significant playoff push when we are not prepared to throw the ball. Another game another couple ugly throws by Lamar to absolutely wide open receivers, can't get more open than that. Lamar is still developing I get that, but we are for better or worse looking a lot like the same offense as last year. We can run on teams all day but when it comes down to crunchtime can we really make plays through the air? That has yet to be proven, and with a tough schedule ahead vs the Seahawks, than against the Pats, Texans, and Rams right after the bye.

I'm all for just running rabid all the way to the super bowl but it won't work like that, we found that out the hard way last year against the Chargers. I hope Lamar can continue to grow as a passer but I don't see him taking much more of a leap forward this year. All I truly wish is to see us pass the ball better, design better plays/more deep shots, and spread the ball around the field more not just to TEs and checkdowns.

Someone mentioned Lamar had a record day? Must have missed it. Was it the fastest QB to 1000 career yards? I know his rushing stats 150 today was only good for 3rd best by a QB. Either way he may not be a great passer but his running and jukes are fun to watch.

Lastly on offense Bozeman had way too many penalties and it begs to question whether we might make a change there.

On defense we played good enough to keep a winless and tanking team from getting the upset. Just looked like the Bengals were intentionally throwing short out routes and not really trying at all. Nice tipped int by Marlon Humphrey.

Overall this win was about as satisfying as last week's win against Pitt. Just nothing to take away from this game that we don't already know. Running game is stacked, I was hoping we would get our passing game back on track but still shaky in that area but didn't need too pass with the run not being stopped. Defense is good but is leaky. And we have the best kicker in the league.

On to Seattle who won a close game against the Browns earlier.

As sloppy as we look so far this season, we are 4-2 in a season where there is room near the top of the AFC next to the Pats, Chiefs, and Texans.
To clarify the ST choice... we do this all the time, and statistically, its the "right" move. Smart teams try to kick the ball just inside the end zone. Most teams try to bring that out, and quality kick coverages team stop them well short of the 25 yard line.
The problem in this case was a) Tucker probably kicked it too short and b) the coverage team execution broke down.

I don't think its going to deter us from doing that. Teams long term can gain like 5 yards of field position in the long run by doing it as well as the Ravens have, but the obvious problem is, when you have a breakdown like this, disaster can happen.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Can someone explain to me how is it possible to outrun opponent 270-30 yards, starve them of possession 40-20 min (!!!) and still defend on side kick at the end because they might win?

WTF???
fumble that lead to points, ko return

A win is a win, just not sold on this team quite yet, and I don't think anyone should be. We have yet to beat a good team and have even looked sloppy against worse teams including today honestly.

First play of game. When you have the best kicker in football why on Earth would you kick it short when Tuck is good for a touchback every kickoff? That looked like a designed special teams play to try and pin the Bengals deep that obviously failed miserably. Sloppy, and embarrassing. Other than that it looked like our long snapper had trouble with a few low snaps/bad snaps and caused for a visably upset Sam Koch. Nothing overly concerning here but still a sloppy performance on special teams.

On offense the Ravens can really run the ball, but we know that already. Lamar Jackson is a stallion who runs all over everyone with some of the best most enjoyable jukes ever and manages to take hits/get tackled really well, which kind of sounds stupid but he hasn't had a hit shake him up yet and hopefully never and that's important. We have a deep RB group who should remain firmly in the top 5 overall this year and probably moreso top 3 as much as Lamar runs. Rushing game is not a problem.

The passing game still has yet to prove themselves which to me is a huge concern so far this season. Mark Andrews is awesome, Miles Boykin looks like he has big potential, but we still clearly lack a dominant WR who can play consistently and make things a little easier for Lamar. We will NEVER make a significant playoff push when we are not prepared to throw the ball. Another game another couple ugly throws by Lamar to absolutely wide open receivers, can't get more open than that. Lamar is still developing I get that, but we are for better or worse looking a lot like the same offense as last year. We can run on teams all day but when it comes down to crunchtime can we really make plays through the air? That has yet to be proven, and with a tough schedule ahead vs the Seahawks, than against the Pats, Texans, and Rams right after the bye.

I'm all for just running rabid all the way to the super bowl but it won't work like that, we found that out the hard way last year against the Chargers. I hope Lamar can continue to grow as a passer but I don't see him taking much more of a leap forward this year. All I truly wish is to see us pass the ball better, design better plays/more deep shots, and spread the ball around the field more not just to TEs and checkdowns.

Someone mentioned Lamar had a record day? Must have missed it. Was it the fastest QB to 1000 career yards? I know his rushing stats 150 today was only good for 3rd best by a QB. Either way he may not be a great passer but his running and jukes are fun to watch.

Lastly on offense Bozeman had way too many penalties and it begs to question whether we might make a change there.

On defense we played good enough to keep a winless and tanking team from getting the upset. Just looked like the Bengals were intentionally throwing short out routes and not really trying at all. Nice tipped int by Marlon Humphrey.

Overall this win was about as satisfying as last week's win against Pitt. Just nothing to take away from this game that we don't already know. Running game is stacked, I was hoping we would get our passing game back on track but still shaky in that area but didn't need too pass with the run not being stopped. Defense is good but is leaky. And we have the best kicker in the league.

On to Seattle who won a close game against the Browns earlier.

As sloppy as we look so far this season, we are 4-2 in a season where there is room near the top of the AFC next to the Pats, Chiefs, and Texans.
Agree that no one should be sold on us being a contender and just making the playoffs is still very much in question. There is a lot still to prove and a tough road ahead.

We are definitely not the same offense as last year ... the fact that Lamar has any passing stats at all will attest to that, though still more reliant on the run than any other team in the NFL. Still working towards a more balanced attack.

As for the short kick, we've been doing it all year and have gotten lots and lots of teams starting their drives at around the 15 by doing it. When it doesn't work, it looks foolish. The kick was too short and not enough air time and it bit us.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Agree that no one should be sold on us being a contender and just making the playoffs is still very much in question. There is a lot still to prove and a tough road ahead.

We are definitely not the same offense as last year ... the fact that Lamar has any passing stats at all will attest to that, though still more reliant on the run than any other team in the NFL. Still working towards a more balanced attack.

As for the short kick, we've been doing it all year and have gotten lots and lots of teams starting their drives at around the 15 by doing it. When it doesn't work, it looks foolish. The kick was too short and not enough air time and it bit us.
actually Canady was held on that kickoff return. Never should have been a TD at all and I'm all for kicking short with air time and having them start at the 15 and anyone who watches the games should understand that as well.

and the wide open miss to Snead that he is referring to was on Snead, not LJ.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i cant believe elliot's out - literally he'd just started to get snaps and he's out
what are the footballing gods punishing us for?

we've now lost 2 starting corners, 1 backup corner, 1 starting safety, 1 backup safety - that's outrageous amounts of losses in one secondary

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i cant believe elliot's out - literally he'd just started to get snaps and he's out
what are the footballing gods punishing us for?

we've now lost 2 starting corners, 1 backup corner, 1 starting safety, 1 backup safety - that's outrageous amounts of losses in one secondary
outrageous is an understatement

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wtf even happened to Elliott? I didn't notice anything while watching the game...

This is starting to feel like 2014 all over again with all the injuries in our secondary. Who the fuck jinxed us?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
also - zrebiec has just reminded me - elliott's been one of our best special teamers so far this year also

and he gives us such great flexibility to allow chuck clark to get in the box

im actually more upset about this injury than i am about jefferson's tbh
I agree with this as well

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Wtf even happened to Elliott? I didn't notice anything while watching the game...

This is starting to feel like 2014 all over again with all the injuries in our secondary. Who the [profanity deleted] jinxed us?
I didn't either. Only heard after the game

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
outrageous is an understatement
With little pass rush ,a decimated secondary really gives us poor prospects against teams with good qbs . Wilson , Watson , Brady , etc.
We can only hope that Lamar can get us more points each game . I’m talking 30 or more .

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Looks like the Elliott hype needs to just die. He’s likely on his way to injuring himself out of the league, 2 early IRs to start your career is a hell of a bad sign

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Looks like the Elliott hype needs to just die. He’s likely on his way to injuring himself out of the league, 2 early IRs to start your career is a hell of a bad sign

this isnt a situation where hes not played well when on the field - this isnt breshad perriman at safety - elliott has done well on the field and has been awesome on special teams - he's just been unfortunate

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
That sucks about Elliott because he had some promise. It’s definitely a big blow with Jefferson also out and because I hoped DeShon would show enough to get Jefferson cut next year. We’re almost bound to go find someone to replace him now. We put too many eggs in our secondary hoping it would mask unproven potential at pass rusher and it has bit us hard this year.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor

yeah. This is true. Guys who have this kind of start never amount to anything and it has nothing to do with talent. He has it but some people just dont have the body for it

Tavon young is one of those guys too

can we stop paying fragile players too?