• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 8 Discussion (BYE Week Thread)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Last team with the ball wins........ incredible game and for the Chiefs to be this competitive without Mahomes is incredible.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
upload_2019-10-28_17-16-47.png

Uh oh, looks like Joe ain’t happy.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/joe-flacco-rips-broncos-coaches/

I know Joe has not played well in Denver but I have to agree with him on this one. The play calling by Fangio late in the game yesterday was bullshit. I mean what the hell was he thinking. 3rd and 5 and you thought that running the ball for 2 yards to kill clock was a good call? And then giving them the ball back with over a minute left? To me it was 4 down territory. Get the first down and you get the win.

Oops, wrong thread!

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Last year and in college you could see how confident Mayfield was and I don't see that today. Last year, even when the Browns were fired and Kitchens became the offensive coordinator, there was no way they completely through away the Todd Haley offense. I think what we are seeing today is not only Kitchens incompetence in running a team, but his incompetence in putting together a game plan and calling plays. I hope they win enough games for them to keep Kitchens as the head coach in Cleveland.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Uh oh, looks like Joe ain’t happy.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/joe-flacco-rips-broncos-coaches/

I know Joe has not played well in Denver but I have to agree with him on this one. The play calling by Fangio late in the game yesterday was bullshit. I mean what the hell was he thinking. 3rd and 5 and you thought that running the ball for 2 yards to kill clock was a good call? And then giving them the ball back with over a minute left? To me it was 4 down territory. Get the first down and you get the win.

Oops, wrong thread!
While I understand where he's coming from, he ain't one to talk about urgency. I still vividly remember watching the game at the 49ers in 2015 in which we were down by 5 but we were moving so slow and lethargic to the LOS. It was at the point where even the commentators were shocked on the lack of urgency we were moving to. The following year at the Cowboys, we still had the chance to be in an opportunity to at least cut the lead to 7 points or even 3 (if we got lucky). I'd even mention the Vikings in 2017, but we lost damn near all our of top WRs, RBs, and TEs before the game.

While I'm eternally grateful for his performance in the playoffs and Super Bowl, he shouldn't be throwing stones at glass houses considering the fact that he's a problem of their offense as well.

While I understand where he's coming from, he ain't one to talk about urgency. I still vividly remember watching the game at the 49ers in 2015 in which we were down by 5 but we were moving so slow and lethargic to the LOS. It was at the point where even the commentators were shocked on the lack of urgency we were moving to. The following year at the Cowboys, we still had the chance to be in an opportunity to at least cut the lead to 7 points or even 3 (if we got lucky). I'd even mention the Vikings in 2017, but we lost damn near all our of top WRs, RBs, and TEs before the game.

While I'm eternally grateful for his performance in the playoffs and Super Bowl, he shouldn't be throwing stones at glass houses considering the fact that he's a problem of their offense as well.

Joe’s flaws notwithstanding, I’m talking about the play calling which comes from the coaches. Your team has won 2 games, you’re winning a game against a first place team, on the road. It’s 3rd and 5 and run a dive play in the A gap, then punt the ball back to them with about 1-1/2 minutes left. It makes no sense. Doesn’t matter who the QB is, that’s playing not to lose, and it’s a show of no confidence.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
If the Cowboys can lose to the Jets, the Steelers can lose to the Dolphins right? Asking for too much aren't I?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Joe’s flaws notwithstanding, I’m talking about the play calling which comes from the coaches. Your team has won 2 games, you’re winning a game against a first place team, on the road. It’s 3rd and 5 and run a dive play in the A gap, then punt the ball back to them with about 1-1/2 minutes left. It makes no sense. Doesn’t matter who the QB is, that’s playing not to lose, and it’s a show of no confidence.

as joe said - they're probably gonna get a field goal anyway with that time left on the clock no matter the field position so you might as well take the chance of getting that 1st down to go and ice the game

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
If the Cowboys can lose to the Jets, the Steelers can lose to the Dolphins right? Asking for too much aren't I?
I would say MAYBE if the game was in Miami sure, but then again, it'd be a home game for the Steelers anyways.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
as joe said - they're probably gonna get a field goal anyway with that time left on the clock no matter the field position so you might as well take the chance of getting that 1st down to go and ice the game
Miller almost dropped Brissett for safety though. 99% of other QBs would have been down.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
but the hindsight shouldnt affect the decision or the opinion of the decision - its like with the ravens - i would rather we go for it on 4th down and just suck it up when we dont get it than not try and sustain drives etc. - its the mindset
I know but the coach has more riding on that play than we do. Colts offense didn't do much of anything all game, I reckon it was a percentage decision.