• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Patriots

Pats

Veteran
On a serious note, how many believe in your hearts that Lamar Jackson will outplay the Patriots defense Sunday night? Can we realistically beat the titans of the NFL? I believes sincerely we can but there is doubt creeping in as we move towards Sunday night and I hate it.
I dont think thats the right question, I think the right question is whether the baltimore defense can limit brady more than lighting up the pats D. I think pats defense is much better but brady aint no spring chicken and the O line has been bad so it might not matter.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
On a serious note, how many believe in your hearts that Lamar Jackson will outplay the Patriots defense Sunday night? Can we realistically beat the titans of the NFL? I believes sincerely we can but there is doubt creeping in as we move towards Sunday night and I hate it.

I dont think thats the right question, I think the right question is whether the baltimore defense can limit brady more than lighting up the pats D. I think pats defense is much better but brady aint no spring chicken and the O line has been bad so it might not matter.

Bingo!

I don't think this game is as difficult as people make it out to be. The Pats defense is good, but I just think the offense can't turn the ball over. This game will come down to trench play. Ravens OL needs to handle business as does the DL and rushers. We get Jimmy back which is huge. Can put him on Sanu and maybe have Marlon follow Edelman. Have to keep them in third and long. Run d has to show up. These games get ugly when their opposition get sloppy with the football. Don't do that and we should be in the game all thru.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
For me, it is just those late primetime games. I always thought of the Ravens as a blue collar, bring your lunch box to work kind of team. Therefore, I prefer the 1pm time slot for a smash mouth football, grind it out kind of team. Beside 8:30 is passed my bedtime.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
For me, it is just those late primetime games. I always thought of the Ravens as a blue collar, bring your lunch box to work kind of team. Therefore, I prefer the 1pm time slot for a smash mouth football, grind it out kind of team. Beside 8:30 is passed my bedtime.

Yeah for us get up early guys its kinda tough.

Tank

Hall of Famer

Yeah for us get up early guys its kinda tough.

I put leave in for Monday as soon as I saw the schedule. lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Keys to the game aside from the obvious ball security..

-motion often to sniff out the man coverage, when you find cover zero, make them pay, run everybody hot on fly routes with max protect, if Hollywood can outrun somebody hit him, if Boykin or andrews is singled give them some chances to make a play, or simply let Lamar gash the dbs who have their backs turned

-if they decide they wanna switch it up for confusion sake and run a lot of zone and 4 man rushes, spread them out, work the seams, vary Hollywood’s route tree, use nick Boyle and isolate the creases in the front after you spread them out. keep with the motions so you can sniff out man and single coverage though, anytime you see it you send the house deep, this is key imo.

-power runs all across the front, not read option with power concepts, I’m talking real power, under center, i-formation, strong/weak side FB, jumbo sets with powers lined up at TE, give us the threat of bootlegs constantly, if we’re gashing them in the run game then Lamar will become LETHAL on bootlegs, they will commit to stopping the run and even if they spy the backside Lamar will make a guy miss, if you have Hollywood backside the corner can’t contain and if he does we have a TD.

This game is all about overpowering their front, forcing the front to commit, then isolating their corners and safeties and forcing them to make a decision to contain one of 2 deadly playmakers on every possible snap. When Lamar drops back, we need to make a defender decide whether they’re gonna worry about Hollywood scoring or Lamar picking up a run, you do that by forcing the front to cheat to one side with a power run game.

Tank

Hall of Famer
It's why I like my Wed-Sat schedule at my job. Already off Sundays and can sleep in Tuesdays for the rare MNF game.
Yeah that’s cool, especially during football season. I work a 8-9s, 1-8 and get every other Monday off. Just happened that this wasn’t my Monday.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
First one I agree with, 2nd one I remember pats just simply being better in a shootout type game.
yeah yeah yeah. This was just the game we played that had so many injuries in the secondary, they couldn't be counted on one hand. Also the game where there refs didn't give us time to adjust to the substitutions

Tank

Hall of Famer
Keys to the game aside from the obvious ball security..

-motion often to sniff out the man coverage, when you find cover zero, make them pay, run everybody hot on fly routes with max protect, if Hollywood can outrun somebody hit him, if Boykin or andrews is singled give them some chances to make a play, or simply let Lamar gash the dbs who have their backs turned

-if they decide they wanna switch it up for confusion sake and run a lot of zone and 4 man rushes, spread them out, work the seams, vary Hollywood’s route tree, use nick Boyle and isolate the creases in the front after you spread them out. keep with the motions so you can sniff out man and single coverage though, anytime you see it you send the house deep, this is key imo.

-power runs all across the front, not read option with power concepts, I’m talking real power, under center, i-formation, strong/weak side FB, jumbo sets with powers lined up at TE, give us the threat of bootlegs constantly, if we’re gashing them in the run game then Lamar will become LETHAL on bootlegs, they will commit to stopping the run and even if they spy the backside Lamar will make a guy miss, if you have Hollywood backside the corner can’t contain and if he does we have a TD.

This game is all about overpowering their front, forcing the front to commit, then isolating their corners and safeties and forcing them to make a decision to contain one of 2 deadly playmakers on every possible snap. When Lamar drops back, we need to make a defender decide whether they’re gonna worry about Hollywood scoring or Lamar picking up a run, you do that by forcing the front to cheat to one side with a power run game.
And Lamar has to be on point passing, can’t afford missing opportunities in these types of games.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i was with you until this bit - i dont want lamar under centre very much at all - it takes away the threat of zone-read and i want lamar making choices and not turning his back on the field

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i was with you until this bit - i dont want lamar under centre very much at all - it takes away the threat of zone-read and i want lamar making choices and not turning his back on the field
I understand the sentiment, but you have a big advantage of being able to make the defense overcommit to an entire side and really isolate one side of the field. A stretch bootleg has the option of basically leaving Lamar the option to run against just a spy or throw downfield in single coverage from a clean “pocket”. with our weapons I really like the design, and against a team with such great man corners it seems the best way to beat them is to force them to pick their poison, or to just outrun them. All you need is 3 or so solid runs from under center to set up the bootleg, then execute it. Their corners are great but you can only run so fast, if Hollywood outruns them it’s a TD, if they can’t Lamar just has to beat a spy to the corner

Anyone else super weird about watching big games with friends or family? Like I prefer to be by myself when watching big games for some reason it’s like a focus thing idk lol
It is fun watching with a fan group at a sports bar, but that always seems to kill the entire day. So I generally watch by myself.

Watching with my family (other than my son) is out of the question. They have no concept. They're always like "what the hell is he getting all fired up for" and here is comes the line that kills me "its just a game ..." *head explodes*

Last edited:
I remember the Ravens stomping the Patriots in the AFC Championship game in 2012. I also remember you guys stomping them in the 2009 wildcard round?
2009 was the real boot stomp. I remember saying, just before our first offensive snap "OK - let's see if we can establish the run" and the first play was an 83 yard TD run. I'd say that was establishing the run.

Then the defense took over Suggs strip sack. 3 runs and TD. Pick. 3 runs and TD. Pick FG ... 24 - 0 end of 1st quarter. Game over.

I was watching with a large Ravens party and someone said, "I'm waiting for my alarm clock to go off and I wake up ..."

yeah yeah yeah. This was just the game we played that had so many injuries in the secondary, they couldn't be counted on one hand. Also the game where there refs didn't give us time to adjust to the substitutions
... and required trickery deep in BBs bag for NE to pull it off. And an oh so close to being a fumble that would have ended the game. And the ball that tipped off of our TEs hands.

Man that game was tight and very heart breaking. Our postseason experience has been either a convincing win or a razor thin loss.