• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Better and The Best vs NE

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He fooled me at the stadium and everyone around me. Totally didn’t see that one.
I was fooled as well, but many times on TV I don't know where the ball is either. He's the best in the league at this.

Tank

Hall of Famer
That wasn’t an effort to get out of bounds, at least not at first. He has made a few plays by cutting back and just buying himself space to run, he covers a lot of ground with one back cut and I believe he was trying to buy himself space to turn the corner on that LB who had committed downhill, but he had the angle to the sideline already so he just went out.

If that LB wasn’t taking the smart approach and taking the outside angle, Hollywood could’ve busted that one with that back cut
That’s a good positive thought but I think if you watch again that “back cut” was a run straight to the sideline and out of bounds.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The funniest part is that Whitlock had his chest puffed out last week, was the only one saying the ravens would win and he said they would win decisively. Instead of giving everyone the blues for being the only one right, he downplays what we did
that's right, I saw that last week. He had the chance to conquer and passed the buck.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Did anyone else notice how physical the secondary was with Edelman? They basically said screw it, bumped and hit Edelman at the line and made life harder on him with double teams. Pretty sure Marcus Peters was the one who said that every team New England has faced so far were passive on defense. Our guys wanted to bring the aggression to them.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I got 3 hours of sleep last night, and I hadn't had anything to eat all day until 30 minutes ago. It was such a good game last night, but I haven't had any time to enjoy it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wow ... to chose the Ravens over such a storied franchise. While I'm pretty sure the wife (aka the boss) has roots/family here and wants to stay in the area, that only happens if he sees the Ravens as a prime opportunity.

with the packers it was such an opportunity that while he didnt want to move from the ravens he did double check with steve and ozzie that the 5 year plan (for him to takeover) was still in place and they reassured him it was - but i think from what he's said that's the only offer that ever made him double check his standing here

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2. I love Hollywood Brown, and he's definitely a playmaker out there... BUT... am I the only one a little put off by how he avoids contact like the plague? I get it... he's small, and you don't want him taking big hits. But there's one play where he literally lost yardage in an attempt to run out of bounds, just so he doesn't get tackled. Its still football. You don't have to be Mark Ingram trying to run over people, but I'm not sure if running out of bounds or losing yardage to avoid contact is smart, both short term and long term. In certain spots, every yard matters.

i think with this point my guess is there's a couple of reasons - the one where he loses yardage felt to me like he thought he could get the edge for a moment and create more yards

but in general i think because he's still recovering from injuries that he's avoiding contact where he can (when he can) while he's still healing - i fully expect as he gets healthier that he will play differently - and i think part of it is just underestimating the speed of linebackers etc. to close him down when he's trying to get yards a bit like lamar early in his first season where he was surprised by how fast everyone else was and it took him a while to readjust his angles

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know Lamar is an artist when it comes to handing the ball off or faking a handoff but two he did yesterday just blew my mind - fake to Hill before the last TD and absolutely insane flick to Hollywood on a jet sweep. On that one I think only Lamar and Hollywood knew where the football is. I'm including NE and the Ravens players, both sidelines, 70K + people in the Bank and few million watching at home. After watching that over and over again, I'm still not sure where the football is.

i knew where the ball was immediately but only because of the block pat ricard put on the only pats guy who had a chance at hollywood

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It seems like jihad ward has quietly been a really solid addition

he's got physical tools that could make him a really nice pickup - what's been surprising is how well he's done technically and how sure-handed he's been when he's been in despite only being here 3-4 weeks

he's showing us why the raiders thought he was worth a 2nd round pick - high ceiling type player because of his athletic gifts

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I stayed up till 3 AM because the adrenalin pumping through my veins didn't settle down. This morning I went right back to scouring the internet for videos and articles to see how the naysayers were doing in the aftermath of a severe drubbing of the Pats at the hands of imho the Michael Jordan of the NFL. How would the haters reconcile the facts with their perception? Some still hated like Whitlock, Gonzalez and Mancini saying they were all super impressed with the Patriots! Figure that one out for me please. Some reluctantly gave Lamar his props. Some outright jumped bandwagons shamelessly. Some stood their ground looking stupid.

Bottom line is Lamar doesn't give a rat's tiny poop bit what these guys think and that is the most satisfying thing to me.