• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Better and The Best vs NE

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
it feels like when we hit adversity sometimes that lamar can just will us to convert that 1 play that pulls momentum back our way
Yep, anytime we are within 5 yards are less on 3rd down, I think we are going to make the first down. I'm also not that concerned if we lose a yard or two on first down. I believe it was the 3rd quarter, maybe the 4th, where we lost a yard (around our own 40 yard line) and it was 2nd and 11. I had total confidence we would convert.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep, anytime we are within 5 yards are less on 3rd down, I think we are going to make the first down. I'm also not that concerned if we lose a yard or two on first down. I believe it was the 3rd quarter, maybe the 4th, where we lost a yard (around our own 40 yard line) and it was 2nd and 11. I had total confidence we would convert.

we literally converted the next play - hollywood about 7 yards deep and then he turned on the jets for loads of extra yards

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
it feels like when we hit adversity sometimes that lamar can just will us to convert that 1 play that pulls momentum back our way
I think that Lamar hates losing. Winners want to win, so he will always try to find a way to make a play and extend drives no matter how things break down. I think it is rubbing off on other players. Look how Zeus Jr. pulled Lamar into the end zone with ten people on top of him. Players were not doing that kind of thing to Flacco. Give me Lamar Jackson when the game is on the line any day of the week!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think that Lamar hates losing. Winners want to win, so he will always try to find a way to make a play and extend drives no matter how things break down. I think it is rubbing off on other players. Look how Zeus Jr. pulled Lamar into the end zone with ten people on top of him. Players were not doing that kind of thing to Flacco. Give me Lamar Jackson when the game is on the line any day of the week!
If that was anyone else on any other team, no way they would have gotten into the end zone. I mean he was stopped dead to rights, or atleast it appeared that way.

As ALWAYS....the Ravens had me going through a whole gamut of emotions:

When we ran the rock down their throats to go up 17-0; I was like:
JpkL2llm.gif

When our boys coughed up the rock 2xs and let them back in the game I was like:
f1Er8uCm.gif

When we got 2 defensive turnovers and one for a score; I was like:
gYCniREm.gif

Once it was obvious that the RAVENS beat the UNDEFEATED 0-8 Patriots at M&T Bank Stadium on PRIMETIME; I was like:
4rTl98N.gif
Fred Sanford meme will never get old. Elizabeth! I'm comin to join ya honey!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thank God he was willing to stay. How many GM offers did he get? To be patient as the heir apparent isn't always something you see in this instant gratification world we live in.
around seven, with the last one being the Packers.

around seven, with the last one being the Packers.
Wow ... to chose the Ravens over such a storied franchise. While I'm pretty sure the wife (aka the boss) has roots/family here and wants to stay in the area, that only happens if he sees the Ravens as a prime opportunity.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Loved those inverted wishbones we used and the constant motion out of that package. The oline played well and nope I don't think we need to replace Bozeman or Skura. Good to see Jimmy back also. The D could've played better but it was a serious emotion shift after the Cyrus Jones fumble but getting those 2 turnovers was key especially when ol squinteye fumbled. If it was gonna happen to anybody I'm glad it was him.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Thank God he was willing to stay. How many GM offers did he get? To be patient as the heir apparent isn't always something you see in this instant gratification world we live in.
To be fair, he had a future job secured, kids grew up in Baltimore and he was paid as a GM already. Why would you move?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
To be fair, he had a future job secured, kids grew up in Baltimore and he was paid as a GM already. Why would you move?

Yeah he was secure and understood the Ravens and has most definitely added his own knack with aggressive trades and wr's. I'm so glad he stayed.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Our game vs the 49ers better get flexed.
The Texans one as well
Texans game is possible, but I doubt it.

They've got Bears/Rams in that spot, which will draw a pretty strong audience. Patriots/Eagles are on the same network in the late start, and the networks only get to protect one game per week. That one would be a bigger draw than Ravens/Texans.

There is zero chance we get flexed to the Sunday night game for the 49ers week. They already have Patriots/Texans in that spot. No chance they move that.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll go through my "bad" list. Full caveat... its a bit "picky" and these are all problems I can live with I think, especially after a game like last night...

1. TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS. There is no scenario I see where we can be an actual SB contender if you're going to be coughing up the football. Muffed punt in your own territory is unacceptable, and so is your veteran RB fumbling. It cost us 10 points last night, and on nights where the Patriots aren't making similar mistakes and other teams capitalize better of those, they're the kinds of things that cost you games.
Sounds harsh, but I could see Cyrus Jones finding himself unemployed this week. He's not playing on defense, the return game in general has been very disappointing all year long, and now you're fumbling in the biggest game of the year. Especially as players are getting healthy, its getting harder to justify a roster spot there in my eyes.
2. I love Hollywood Brown, and he's definitely a playmaker out there... BUT... am I the only one a little put off by how he avoids contact like the plague? I get it... he's small, and you don't want him taking big hits. But there's one play where he literally lost yardage in an attempt to run out of bounds, just so he doesn't get tackled. Its still football. You don't have to be Mark Ingram trying to run over people, but I'm not sure if running out of bounds or losing yardage to avoid contact is smart, both short term and long term. In certain spots, every yard matters.
3. I like the improvement I saw from the intermediate passing game this week, but we still aren't really stretching the field much in the passing game. I know its hard to replicate what we did to like Miami or even Arizona, but we're really not even taking shots at this point. Its only going to open up the offense that much more if we start attacking deeper in the passing game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'll go through my "bad" list. Full caveat... its a bit "picky" and these are all problems I can live with I think, especially after a game like last night...

1. TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS. There is no scenario I see where we can be an actual SB contender if you're going to be coughing up the football. Muffed punt in your own territory is unacceptable, and so is your veteran RB fumbling. It cost us 10 points last night, and on nights where the Patriots aren't making similar mistakes and other teams capitalize better of those, they're the kinds of things that cost you games.
Sounds harsh, but I could see Cyrus Jones finding himself unemployed this week. He's not playing on defense, the return game in general has been very disappointing all year long, and now you're fumbling in the biggest game of the year. Especially as players are getting healthy, its getting harder to justify a roster spot there in my eyes.
2. I love Hollywood Brown, and he's definitely a playmaker out there... BUT... am I the only one a little put off by how he avoids contact like the plague? I get it... he's small, and you don't want him taking big hits. But there's one play where he literally lost yardage in an attempt to run out of bounds, just so he doesn't get tackled. Its still football. You don't have to be Mark Ingram trying to run over people, but I'm not sure if running out of bounds or losing yardage to avoid contact is smart, both short term and long term. In certain spots, every yard matters.
3. I like the improvement I saw from the intermediate passing game this week, but we still aren't really stretching the field much in the passing game. I know its hard to replicate what we did to like Miami or even Arizona, but we're really not even taking shots at this point. Its only going to open up the offense that much more if we start attacking deeper in the passing game.
I was at the game and know the play you are talking about, but it certainly didn't see it that way. It certainly looked to me that Hollywood thought you could get more yardage by getting around the defense, but in the end it didn't work out that way. He probably did this in college and it worked and is still adjusting to the speed of the NFL.

Azide

Practice Squad
I was at the game and know the play you are talking about, but it certainly didn't see it that way. It certainly looked to me that Hollywood thought you could get more yardage by getting around the defense, but in the end it didn't work out that way. He probably did this in college and it worked and is still adjusting to the speed of the NFL.
Maybe that was his intent, but on TV it looked like he was just avoiding contact. The big 25 yarder earlier on 1st drive clearly looked like avoiding contact just like a QB would.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I kinda thought the same thing rmcjacket did in that it looked like he avoided contact to me. Then again, who knows if we told him to do that to avoid getting hurt. That’s a possibility.

One guy not getting talked about is Jimmy Smith. He had a great game imo. Made some great plays and tackles

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have no problems with Hollywood avoiding contact if it speeds up the process of him getting back to full health. Let's face it: the dude is undersized and not meant to take a lot of hits. Also, if the coaching staff had a problem with it then I'm sure they would have said something.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe in real time it looked that way, but if that's the case, he was sorely mistaken. He got back into the field
I have no problems with Hollywood avoiding contact if it speeds up the process of him getting back to full health. Let's face it: the dude is undersized and not meant to take a lot of hits. Also, if the coaching staff had a problem with it then I'm sure they would have said something.
I mean its not the kind of thing you would see on a practice field mostly, and he simply hasn't played that much.

It just caught my eye a bit. It might be nothing, and its possible that he just realizes that he doesn't have to take contact in those spots. Just something I would watch for if its a big spot where he needs additional yardage for a first down, or even additional yardage for a FG or something similar. I mean I've seen him make contested catches in key spots before, so its not like he's terrified of it.

Its kind of similar to the whole "hey all the TE's try to jump over everybody" thing. Like take what the defense gives you and push forward.