• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Bengals

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol I was not thinking a 5 TD game

I was thinking more of a 300 yard passing game with 2-3 tds in the air 60 yards rushing and a rushing TD

Nah man

reach.jpg

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Kinda wish we played them in week 17 this year. It be funny to have a BYE locked up, the AFC North Division locked up and we ruin them getting Tua by sitting players and letting them win lol.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Kinda wish we played them in week 17 this year. It be funny to have a BYE locked up, the AFC North Division locked up and we ruin them getting Tua by sitting players and letting them win lol.
Nah, it will be funnier to watch Bob and Trace beat the shit out of Steelers.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Please for the love of god just take care of business and don’t lay an egg it would be so Ravens like to do so

The Ravens have never won 5 in a row under John Harbaugh, and have only won 5 or more in a row twice in the history of our Franchise. 2006 when we won the AFC North and a first round bye. The only other time we had a 5 game or more winning streak was 2000 en route to our first Super Bowl.

Hopefully Harbaugh finally gets his first 5 game winning streak this week.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Lol, from Bengals forum:

Today, 01:56 AM
I actually think Balt will be over confident coming into this game and rightfully so only to fall for our trap as we hang 3 on them. That’s just our first drive, we will go on to lose 48-3.

I wanna say it might be a shoot out since our D is just going to let Jackson and Co. run all over us but with it being Finley’s first game im sure Taylor will be super conservative run, run, pass. Wash rinse repeat cause well why not.

I would love this game for us to really attack the field using Lamar's arm
Yeah there is that temptation, but it is hard for a team that runs the ball well and is facing one of the leagues worst run Ds to not run the ball early and often. Why get fancy when the sure thing will work? Now, of course if they completely sell out on the run then hit em.

I didn't see the last game vs Bengals, but I know Lamar racked up a lot of yards. I'm assuming that included a fair share of designed runs. We ran a good few last night. I'd really like to only pull those out when we really really need to. Games like this let the big backs run wild and let Lamar take shots on drop backs where they get out of position and take off on those. We should be able to take hold of this game without a full on Lamar attack

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Oh you want another Dolphins game lol. I'm in the same boat.

My only worries in this game is that the Bengals had 2 weeks to prepare and we have no film really on their new QB. I also would like to see less designed Lamar runs since we're playing a team with nothing to lose. Thank goodness the dirty Burfict isn't around since I could see him taking a cheap shot.
I was thinking the same thing. We should win this game, but it is the injuries I am worried about because the last few years the Bengals have been the dirtiest team in the league.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It is funny reading the comments. Many of their fans would rather see Jake Dolegala get the start. They are arguing which backups to start. They are worried that Finley has no arm strength and did not complete a pass over 15 yards in preseason, where Dolegala has good arm strength.

yeah one of the biggest knocks on finley is his arm strength and you just saw what we did to a dink-and-dunk offence

AJ Green's gonna love playing with someone who cant throw it deep without a massive windup - gonna see if i can watch finley's preseason tape and report back

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some loose Ryan Finley observations so far based off some college tape and some preseason tape:

positives:
  • has some nice anticipation in the pocket and moves his feet well - good poise in there - has shown some ability to counteract blitzes
  • clearly has a plan pre-snap (almost to a fault)
  • can throw with touch and anticipation on short throws and early reads especially in the middle of the field
  • can move around a little to create extra time
  • looks pretty good at the backshoulder (which killed us in the last matchup with auden tate)
negatives:
  • poor arm strength - can throw a deep ball but doesnt often try
  • non-aggressive - game-manager style of quarterback play
  • long(ish) release
  • has some accuracy issues in terms of putting the ball in the right spot - doesnt miss by huge amounts but seems to keep defenders interested with underthrows or high passes that limit YAC and create some drop/turnover opportunities
  • when under pressure can get frazzled
  • doesnt threaten outside the numbers a lot
ultimately he's not a particularly threatening qb and he's going to have a lot of plays designed for him to take advantage of his limited strengths which are anticipating throws on digs and crossers and sit downs in zones in the middle of the field but his release is long and he's quite lanky and there's not a huge amount of zip on his balls - earl thomas is going to be absolutely salivating looking at any film they can find of finley - that longer release mixed in with the low arm strength adds an extra bit of time for defenders to close on the ball

this could be an annoying game like the first matchup between these 2 teams where the defence gets disappointingly dinked and dunked a little and beaten by those bengal receivers who make some plays after the catch etc.

i dont think you'll see wink scheme much differently to what hes done all year though - not sure how we match up our corners for this game - will be interesting to see what wink decides to do there to limit the passing game

my guess is that unless we bust coverages we're not gonna see more than 2 maybe 3 attempts that travel more than 20 yards in the air

and we'll see how he deals with the deceptive blitzes that wink likes to use - not sure he's seen any sort of deceptive pressure outside of just extra numbers being sent - against the pats we had one play where we dropped 2 DL into coverage

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Uhhh playing the Bengals in week 17 guarantees us missing the playoffs lol.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Speaking of playing the Bengals, in the 2011 season finale, we managed to hold on to the lead and even swept our division. Since then, we have only won ONCE in Cincy. This shit really needs to change.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Some loose Ryan Finley observations so far based off some college tape and some preseason tape:

positives:
  • has some nice anticipation in the pocket and moves his feet well - good poise in there - has shown some ability to counteract blitzes
  • clearly has a plan pre-snap (almost to a fault)
  • can throw with touch and anticipation on short throws and early reads especially in the middle of the field
  • can move around a little to create extra time
  • looks pretty good at the backshoulder (which killed us in the last matchup with auden tate)
negatives:
  • poor arm strength - can throw a deep ball but doesnt often try
  • non-aggressive - game-manager style of quarterback play
  • long(ish) release
  • has some accuracy issues in terms of putting the ball in the right spot - doesnt miss by huge amounts but seems to keep defenders interested with underthrows or high passes that limit YAC and create some drop/turnover opportunities
  • when under pressure can get frazzled
  • doesnt threaten outside the numbers a lot
ultimately he's not a particularly threatening qb and he's going to have a lot of plays designed for him to take advantage of his limited strengths which are anticipating throws on digs and crossers and sit downs in zones in the middle of the field but his release is long and he's quite lanky and there's not a huge amount of zip on his balls - earl thomas is going to be absolutely salivating looking at any film they can find of finley - that longer release mixed in with the low arm strength adds an extra bit of time for defenders to close on the ball

this could be an annoying game like the first matchup between these 2 teams where the defence gets disappointingly dinked and dunked a little and beaten by those bengal receivers who make some plays after the catch etc.

i dont think you'll see wink scheme much differently to what hes done all year though - not sure how we match up our corners for this game - will be interesting to see what wink decides to do there to limit the passing game

my guess is that unless we bust coverages we're not gonna see more than 2 maybe 3 attempts that travel more than 20 yards in the air

and we'll see how he deals with the deceptive blitzes that wink likes to use - not sure he's seen any sort of deceptive pressure outside of just extra numbers being sent - against the pats we had one play where we dropped 2 DL into coverage
Pretty spot on with what I got from watching Finley, and I watched a lot of Myers and Harmon and emezie and I came away so goddamn frustrated with how much better those 3 would have looked if Finley would stop throwing open receivers into coverage.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know why but I truly believe this is a pivotal game for our playoff fortunes. I am less bullish against the Bengals as I am against the Niners in M&T honestly.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh you want another Dolphins game lol. I'm in the same boat.

My only worries in this game is that the Bengals had 2 weeks to prepare and we have no film really on their new QB. I also would like to see less designed Lamar runs since we're playing a team with nothing to lose. Thank goodness the dirty Burfict isn't around since I could see him taking a cheap shot.

I'm with you! I think that this is a great game to showcase Lamar's arm more. The film on his running abilities are piling up and I have a sneaky suspicion that a few teams down the line may take a page out of the Chargers playbook from last season's playoff game. Keep pounding the rock of course, but mix in a whole lot more passing!

TAKE THE TOP OF THE DEFENSE!!

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I don't think we have to worry about our run game honestly. Mark Ingram has brought an explosive dynamic to this run game. He just explodes off the back field so very well and it's a problem for players on the 2nd player. Plus teams respect Lamar's arm more now then they did before, you have to. I think he's shown well enough that he can make plenty of throws and if you sleep on his ability to do that then you'll risk giving up plays. I think what we're doing is working and there's no reason to change that. The Bengals have the worst run D in the league, we need to run it down their throats because they simply won't be able to stop it.

I do want to see Lamar's carries go down, but at the same time, the Bengals won't be able to do anything to stop this.