• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Wink Martindale and Greg Roman

Thats the sell here - the opportunity to make history and be the arch architect of an offensive revolution

He’ll get a HC job somewhere at some point but for our sake I hope we get 1 more year at least with this offensive staff and group

It's also a gamble that we fall off a cliff next year and he will never get another opportunity.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Texans sold most of their draft picks, even though they have a great QB I don't see it as appealing as some of you guys.
Yes, you might never get another chance to be a HC candidate again, but most of all HC only have one chance - you gotta choose wisely.
I don't think Wink will draw that much attention. Look no further than: Patricia, Fangio and Vrabel. Yes some former DC managed to stay longer in the NFL. But DC are just not en vogue.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Texans sold most of their draft picks, even though they have a great QB I don't see it as appealing as some of you guys.
Yes, you might never get another chance to be a HC candidate again, but most of all HC only have one chance - you gotta choose wisely.
I don't think Wink will draw that much attention. Look no further than: Patricia, Fangio and Vrabel. Yes some former DC managed to stay longer in the NFL. But DC are just not en vogue.

there's also no way BOB is on the hot-seat right now - he's the single most powerful person in that organisation that doesnt even have a GM right now and he's going to be part of the hiring process for the next GM - i sincerely doubt this job even becomes available

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The thing with Roman is that someone may offer him a Head Coaching job thinking that he'll be able to do what he's doing with Lamar with another QB, which will bomb completely. I'm not saying Roman wouldn't be a good head coach but he would be hired based off Lamar's success and some team thinking he can replicate it with Darnold, Baker or a Haskins.

Watson would work but BOB isn't going anywhere, maybe Roman could work it with Cam Newton in Carolina but that's about it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The thing with Roman is that someone may offer him a Head Coaching job thinking that he'll be able to do what he's doing with Lamar with another QB, which will bomb completely. I'm not saying Roman wouldn't be a good head coach but he would be hired based off Lamar's success and some team thinking he can replicate it with Darnold, Baker or a Haskins.

Watson would work but BOB isn't going anywhere, maybe Roman could work it with Cam Newton in Carolina but that's about it.
Yes, he may be hired off of what he has done for Lamar Jackson and the Ravens, but if you really want, you can go back to Andrew Luck at Stanford, Alex Smith in San Francisco, who wasn't a good NFL QB until GRo installed some spread concepts he was good at in college. Colin Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor had some success as well and both of those teams had very good running games. He's also been a defensive assistant and played defensive tackle in college. He has knowledge on both sides of the ball and that is a real advantage.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I'm hoping that Jerry would want someone more glamorous.

Anyway - you also have to ask yourself - would you want to work for Jerruh? I mean, yeah its the COWBOYS (whoo) but then with that comes unreasonably high expectations AND an owner that wants to meddle.

As for the Texans, that may be appealing to Roman - but while Watson is dynamic - no one is more dynamic than who he's working with now. Hopefully Texan still can win their division, maybe a playoff game and come back to Baltimore to get shellacked again and that will be enough to appease ownership to keep OBrian.
Thing is, a lot of coaches really rather wait for the right opportunity. There's no coaching job in the NFL that isn't stressful or does not take a toll on you. As stressful as the Dallas job may be, imagine having to coach the Bengals, Jets, or Dolphins in which your max wins are probably 4-5 wins and your days are numbered. At this point it would take a miracle to turn those franchises around in the near future and the Texans and Cowboys jobs are flat out more appealing.

I don't think a playoff win could be 100% enough for O'Brien to keep his job. Sometimes, when you cap out ownership just lose patience and grow a desire to move on.

It's just a hypothetical but we have to be honest with our selves and realize that these two are going to be on teams radars.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
That is one thing I never understood about coaching in the NFL, and it was the insistence on forcing QB's into a system that was no designed to help them grow.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thing is, a lot of coaches really rather wait for the right opportunity. There's no coaching job in the NFL that isn't stressful or does not take a toll on you. As stressful as the Dallas job may be, imagine having to coach the Bengals, Jets, or Dolphins in which your max wins are probably 4-5 wins and your days are numbered. At this point it would take a miracle to turn those franchises around in the near future and the Texans and Cowboys jobs are flat out more appealing.

I don't think a playoff win could be 100% enough for O'Brien to keep his job. Sometimes, when you cap out ownership just lose patience and grow a desire to move on.

It's just a hypothetical but we have to be honest with our selves and realize that these two are going to be on teams radars.

what about the Redskins????? Wouldn't that be a fantastic opportunity to have an owner like Dan Snyder, a GM like Bruce Allen and a HC factory. Sounds like a great opportunity... Oh, and howabout that sellout streak

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
what about the Redskins????? Wouldn't that be a fantastic opportunity to have an owner like Dan Snyder, a GM like Bruce Allen and a HC factory. Sounds like a great opportunity... Oh, and howabout that sellout streak
Plus, he'd get outstanding healthcare for free.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

normally this would be true but bill o brien is also the acting gm and has been given that power to remake the roster and even potentially mortgage the texans future by spending future draft picks to improve his roster right now and also be involved in the hiring of a new gm - that suggests to me that the texans owners are not interested in moving on from BOB at all

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So what teams do you believe will have HC openings in the offseason.

AFC East --- no teams -- I believe the Jets and Dolphins will keep their 1st year coaches.

AFC North ---- again no teams will have openings.
Browns --- if they did the right thing would fire Freddy Kitchens.

AFC South ---
Jaguars could have an opening. Never liked Doug Marrone as head coach.

AFC West ---
LA Chargers is the only team I see as being an option, even though they made the playoffs last season, they have looked pathetic this season.

NFC East ---
NY Giants --- Pat Shurmer could be on the outs, but it's possible he gets one more year with Daniel Jones.
Redskins --- obviously already fired and Callahan is only the interim coach.

NFC North --- No openings

NFC South ---
Atlanta Falcons -- I think Dan Quinn's job is riding on how they finish out the season, but imo, he's gone.

NFC West --- There will be no openings in the NFC West.

So there you have it. I think it's pretty predictable on what teams will be looking for a head coach in the offseason and there aren't many decent destinations. May only have four teams.

Browns - Maybe
Jaguars
Chargers
Giants -- Maybe
Redskins
Falcons

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

AFC East --- no teams -- I believe the Jets and Dolphins will keep their 1st year coaches.

AFC South ---

AFC West ---
LA Chargers is the only team I see as being an option, even though they made the playoffs last season, they have looked pathetic this season.

NFC East ---
NY Giants --- Pat Shurmer could be on the outs, but it's possible he gets one more year with Daniel Jones.

NFC South ---
Atlanta Falcons -- I think Dan Quinn's job is riding on how they finish out the season, but imo, he's gone.

So there you have it. I think it's pretty predictable on what teams will be looking for a head coach in the offseason and there aren't many decent destinations. May only have four teams.

Browns - Maybe
Jaguars
Chargers
Giants -- Maybe
Redskins
Falcons
I could see the Broncos looking after the reports on Fangio. I’d be surprised if he stayed honestly. I could also see the Bears getting rid of Nagy if we’re thinking Lynn could be sent packing. As for O’Brien, he could be sent packing if ownership tires of him regardless of the GM situation. The Texans could hire a GM to pick their HC and vice versa a la Gruden, so I find the narrative (not saying you’re saying this, mind you) that O’Brien is a lock because there’s no GM to be erroneous—erroneous on both counts! Lol

Anyway, I think the Chargers coach is safe for now. I wonder about Kitchens because I could see it go either way—he should absolutely be gone but will ownership and the GM part ways with him? That’s the big question. Quinn is almost guaranteed to be gone. I would be surprised if he stuck around.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I could see the Broncos looking after the reports on Fangio. I’d be surprised if he stayed honestly. I could also see the Bears getting rid of Nagy if we’re thinking Lynn could be sent packing. As for O’Brien, he could be sent packing if ownership tires of him regardless of the GM situation. The Texans could hire a GM to pick their HC and vice versa a la Gruden, so I find the narrative (not saying you’re saying this, mind you) that O’Brien is a lock because there’s no GM to be erroneous—erroneous on both counts! Lol

Anyway, I think the Chargers coach is safe for now. I wonder about Kitchens because I could see it go either way—he should absolutely be gone but will ownership and the GM part ways with him? That’s the big question. Quinn is almost guaranteed to be gone. I would be surprised if he stuck around.
What are the reports on Fangio. I'd be shocked if he is fired after one season. Shocked and the same with Nagy after going to the playoffs last season.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

AFC South ---

AFC West ---

NFC East ---

NFC South ---

Browns - Maybe
Jaguars
Chargers
Giants -- Maybe
Redskins
Falcons

AFC EAST: Jets
i think there's a chance that gase is 1 and done - flores i think has done enough to keep his job but the turmoil in the jets organisation and the fact that douglas didnt hire gase and the way the players at various points completely checked out on gase etc makes me think gase isnt safe at all

AFC NORTH: Browns
Kitchens has been an abject failure but I wonder if Dorsey and Haslam double-down to try and prove themselves right rather than admit they made a mistake - would be very brownsian

AFC SOUTH: None
I think the jags are most likely of the 4 teams to shed marrone but they may also explain this year away with the injury to foles and give credit for how well the staff and organisation in general brought along gardner minshew - also important that the structure there includes tom coughlin who would potentially have to make the decision to fire marrone and marrone is clearly a guy made in coughlin's image

AFC WEST: Chargers?
Chargers most likely to get rid of lynn because of how that offence has stagnated - but maybe they decide to change up the coaching staff (among other things) as they move into inglewood in a desperate attempt to gain some relevancy in the LA market

NFC EAST: Washington, Giants?, Cowboys?
Washington already have a vacancy
Giants among the worst teams in the NFL and Shurmur now proving to be a consistent loser in all his HC jobs - Gettleman also in danger so might parlay a new coach into a new lease of life as GM - only thing going against this is the Giants organisational propensity not to overreact and make changes quickly (mcadoo excluded)
Cowboys are the wildcard - they've clearly got a successor in place so ultimately this is a meaningless job opening because of garrett's gone then it's kellen moore's job - he's being groomed for the role, the only question is whether the changeover happens this offseason or in a year or 2...

NFC NORTH: None
Nagy might be in trouble which seems odd to say a year after he won coach of the year but his team looks awful, his qb looks awful and his scheme and playcalling seem to be creating more problems also - think he gets another year but for his sake i hope it involves a completely new qb

NFC SOUTH: Falcons, Panthers
Dan Quinn might have to win out (and get some favours from other teams to make the playoffs) to retain his job - consistent problem over multiple years is that defence being worse than its parts and it has dramatically improved since he gave up playcalling duties - while a good decision it may be the final straw that's his undoing in that job
Ron Rivera I think is gone - the new panthers owner david tepper bought the franchise but left things in place to not be disruptive, i think he'll take this opportunity to bring in his guys at GM and HC and let them remake the franchise - feels like good timing with Cam wearing down - but getting a new HC and GM in to make that decision seems like a common sense idea

NFC WEST: None

For sure I think Jets, Redskins, Falcons, Panthers with a high chance that at least 2 of the giants, chargers and browns also change - slight chance that cowboys change HC but that wouldnt really count as a HC opening given everyone knows who the HC would be

with regards to how many HC openings there will be... historically there are always at least 6 a year - and the last 2-3 years there have been 8 openings a year

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure we will lose Greg Roman, after looking at the teams needing a coach and the ones that you @rossihunter2 think will be needing a coach as well. Although some differences, I think he sticks around. GRo will not go to the redskins, that is basically not an option for a smart coach and it's not because of my biases either.

BTW, I had forgotten about the change of ownership in Carolina, so that makes a lot of sense. That being said, I think it would matter how they finish up with Rivera at the helm.