• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Wink Martindale and Greg Roman

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Yeah. Broncos should fire horseface, not Fangio.

This means Fangio isn't going anywhere and if he is and Wink leaves, Fangio would be the replacement for Wink.

That being said, I think we are safe and it's possible neither of our coordinators leave. Lets just win in the playoffs and maybe teams won't sit and wait around to hire their coordinators. Kind of like the Patriot way of keeping the staff intact.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
What are the reports on Fangio. I'd be shocked if he is fired after one season. Shocked and the same with Nagy after going to the playoffs last season.
I’m more talking about the clear disconnect between players and coaches. For example, Flacco criticizing the play calling which he never did to that extent when he was here. The Broncos just look so dysfunctional and I could definitely see Elway make him the fall guy. Elway should be gone though; I agree with those sentiments.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m more talking about the clear disconnect between players and coaches. For example, Flacco criticizing the play calling which he never did to that extent when he was here. The Broncos just look so dysfunctional and I could definitely see Elway make him the fall guy. Elway should be gone though; I agree with those sentiments.
they need a better offensive coordinator, without question, and that should be the 2nd thing they do. The first thing they should do is fire Elway.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not sure we will lose Greg Roman, after looking at the teams needing a coach and the ones that you @rossihunter2 think will be needing a coach as well. Although some differences, I think he sticks around. GRo will not go to the redskins, that is basically not an option for a smart coach and it's not because of my biases either.

BTW, I had forgotten about the change of ownership in Carolina, so that makes a lot of sense. That being said, I think it would matter how they finish up with Rivera at the helm.
I think the most dangerous threat we face for taking Roman are the Texans due to the natural fit with Roman and Watson. That said, I think we can manage to keep both coordinators this year. I’m not sure if that’s being optimistic, however.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think the most dangerous threat we face for taking Roman are the Texans due to the natural fit with Roman and Watson. That said, I think we can manage to keep both coordinators this year. I’m not sure if that’s being optimistic, however.
it is optimistic, but it's also realistic. Especially since I doubt seriously the Texans fire BOB.

Now, lets root for the Texans to win the division! I'd do that anyway....

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not sure we will lose Greg Roman, after looking at the teams needing a coach and the ones that you @rossihunter2 think will be needing a coach as well. Although some differences, I think he sticks around. GRo will not go to the redskins, that is basically not an option for a smart coach and it's not because of my biases either.

BTW, I had forgotten about the change of ownership in Carolina, so that makes a lot of sense. That being said, I think it would matter how they finish up with Rivera at the helm.

i think rivera's been done basically since the beginning of the year honestly - im not sure anything that happens will change that at all - not sure rivera will mind either given the health issues he's had since being HC in carolina etc.

its good for us that none of those projected vacancies appear to be playoff bound teams - means that there may be a rush to fill those spots quickly without waiting for the playoffs to finish - ironically getting a bye in the playoffs might not help us because it might mean roman and wink become available to interview before the divisional round

there will be some competition in terms of HC candidates who i expect to get interview requests also involved in the playoffs: Robert Saleh 49ers DC, Kris Richard DB coach/passing game DC for for the cowboys, mike pettine could get another shot after his success as DC of the packers, but also brian daboll (bills), eric bienemy (chiefs) among others

that could all help muddy the waters - teams will have to be economical with who they interview and when and if they like one of those guys it might mean they dont have the scheduling ability to fit in a guy like roman or wink

Thing is, a lot of coaches really rather wait for the right opportunity. There's no coaching job in the NFL that isn't stressful or does not take a toll on you. As stressful as the Dallas job may be, imagine having to coach the Bengals, Jets, or Dolphins in which your max wins are probably 4-5 wins and your days are numbered. At this point it would take a miracle to turn those franchises around in the near future and the Texans and Cowboys jobs are flat out more appealing.

I don't think a playoff win could be 100% enough for O'Brien to keep his job. Sometimes, when you cap out ownership just lose patience and grow a desire to move on.

It's just a hypothetical but we have to be honest with our selves and realize that these two are going to be on teams radars.
Absolutely they will be on teams radars ... I have no doubt about that, otherwise there would be no point to this thread.

Also - no doubt the Cowboys gig would be light years ahead of Bengals, Jets or Dolphins. Just saying that as a potential HC, you have to know what you are getting into when you have Jerruh as your boss. Like I said, he wants a sock puppet and I don't know how well that would sit with these guys. With either Wink or Roman, they seem to be dudes that have reached an age where they don't want to put up with his shit.

Of course - if they really want to experience being an HC and are willing to look past some of these things, they will most certainly be gone. I'm just trying to come up with reasons why we can hope they may stick for at least a little while.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Absolutely they will be on teams radars ... I have no doubt about that, otherwise there would be no point to this thread.

Also - no doubt the Cowboys gig would be light years ahead of Bengals, Jets or Dolphins. Just saying that as a potential HC, you have to know what you are getting into when you have Jerruh as your boss. Like I said, he wants a sock puppet and I don't know how well that would sit with these guys. With either Wink or Roman, they seem to be dudes that have reached an age where they don't want to put up with his shit.

Of course - if they really want to experience being an HC and are willing to look past some of these things, they will most certainly be gone. I'm just trying to come up with reasons why we can hope they may stick for at least a little while.
I think they'll wait for the right time to arrive. I hope they don't leave and it doesn't seem like Wink is too interested in a HC job at the moment. That said you can never really tell when it comes to these things.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself on these forums. So l have been a die hard Bengals fan my entire life but also a huge Louisville football fan and it goes without saying Lamar Jackson is my favorite football player college or pro of all time. I’ve found myself these past two seasons using my Sunday ticket to watch the Ravens each and every week and I feel my fandom converting. Hope you all welcome me on the bandwagon since it’s so hard to give support to such a willfully inept franchise. Anyway on this topic I think Keeping Roman any way they can is so crucial to Lamar’s continued development so of course I hope they do so. This offense is so lethal and it cracks me up when national media say it isn’t sustainable. I’m not sure what football others are watching but Lamar can sit in the pocket and pick you apart, when you add in his rushing it is not fair.

you're very welcome here - we've got other former disillusioned fans of other franchises here - we welcome all migrants - it must be hard falling out of love with a franchise like that so happy to have you on board

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself on these forums. So l have been a die hard Bengals fan my entire life but also a huge Louisville football fan and it goes without saying Lamar Jackson is my favorite football player college or pro of all time. I’ve found myself these past two seasons using my Sunday ticket to watch the Ravens each and every week and I feel my fandom converting. Hope you all welcome me on the bandwagon since it’s so hard to give support to such a willfully inept franchise. Anyway on this topic I think Keeping Roman any way they can is so crucial to Lamar’s continued development so of course I hope they do so. This offense is so lethal and it cracks me up when national media say it isn’t sustainable. I’m not sure what football others are watching but Lamar can sit in the pocket and pick you apart, when you add in his rushing it is not fair.
Welcome to the board and the franchise. Please take a look around the board to get familiar with it as well as it will help in the long run.

Also, I can relate. I am a former longtime Skins fan and made the switch back in 2014, but it wasn't due to the losing, it did have everything to do with the owner and how he had treated a friend of mines son. I won't go into this but I couldn't root for that team and continue to give them my hard earned money. I was also a season ticket holder, so there is that as well.

It's a fun board and you are coming on at a very good time. Must have been fun to watch LJ during his Louisville years.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Welcome.
Now, to the all important question - what's the inside talk on how AJ Green feels like about moving on to contending team next year?