• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Agreed - operating on a completely different wavelength to the rest of the class

Van Jefferson is the best at getting a DB to flip their hips and declare by biting on a hard stick/jab which is why he gets pretty quick separation

KJ Hill I feel like is the better of the 2 at consolidating his separation with additional head fakes and bending his routes after the break (where necessary) to pull the corner away from the ball and stack them more effectively

For someone who doesn’t seem particularly sudden, Justin Jefferson’s change of direction is lethal - violent even
I wouldn’t say the entire class, just the guys they’re facing on film, these dbs just aren’t cut out to handle their route tree lol. Like I specifically mentioned these guys because they aren’t particularly explosive at all and still are so great at separating. I’d still say jeudy and hamler are on a different level as well, but they’re also so damn explosive that it’s not highlighted as much.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ive kind of come back around on Bryan Edwards - the more film im seeing the more I like him - he's held back by his QB a lot but he does run a more diverse route tree than i originally thought - and at a much higher level than i thought on first watch - he runs hitches so well - really clean coming out of his break

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
James Proche is kind of interesting out of the slot - not a guy who does well vs press etc. (partly why him being a slot is helpful) - not a particularly crazy athlete and not crazy long but he's a nice route runner who manages to separate consistently well especially in zone coverage but has shown the ability to create large separation vs off coverage too

also happens to have sticky hands and is unbelievable in contested catch situations which is bizarre for how relatively small he is

ive seen reports that pats scouts really like him - and i understand why... he's a competitive, productive slot receiver with a 'knack' - smooth operator

id say he's a decent looking early-mid day 3 guy
where have you seen the reports that Pats scouts really like him?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
reports and rumours all over twitter but I think they all sprung from Tony Pauline overhearing/talking to Pats scouts at the senior bowl
Tony Pauline's reports aren't on walterfootball anymore or atleast I haven't seen them. I have only seen a few on PFN, but didn't see that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Let us know your take on Lipscomb and Bowden and where you think they might go when you have time. Intrigued by Bowden
also, apparently the ravens met at EW game with a guy called Chris Finke? out of Notre Dame

@Edgar I've had a look at Chris Finke - not particularly impressed - he's a 5'9" slot receiver who's not particularly athletic and not a great route runner either - he cuts well with the ball in his hands and catches the ball well (had a crazy catch against georgia albeit for only 5 yards) - can be elusive and agile but not much else tbh - doesnt get open - often finds it difficult to negotiate traffic in the middle of the field in his routes - often a complete non-factor

at best he might go in the 7th but more likely a priority free agent (or non-priority lol)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jauan Jennings is an interesting late round player - would put him in the UDFA group but he's got some things about him that make me like him - he's a fiery competitor who wants the ball in the biggest moments, he's pretty physical at the catch point and the thing that gives you most hope about him athletically is just how good he is with the ball after the catch - just breaks tackles - has some wiggle but lots of power

is very rounded in his route running on tape but again like a lot of the receivers he seems to have developed that element of his game for the senior bowl and looked better in practices (and the game) there with some nice sharp breaks to create separation - some nice understanding in the senior bowl practices of how to set up a corner too (partly be understanding his own limitations) - athletic scores will be a big determiner in how draftable he is - looks to me like a slow accelerator which is not a great sign - suddenness is not good enough

but he looks to me more draftable than some of the other pure "bigs" in this class

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@Edgar I've had a look at Chris Finke - not particularly impressed - he's a 5'9" slot receiver who's not particularly athletic and not a great route runner either - he cuts well with the ball in his hands and catches the ball well (had a crazy catch against georgia albeit for only 5 yards) - can be elusive and agile but not much else tbh - doesnt get open - often finds it difficult to negotiate traffic in the middle of the field in his routes - often a complete non-factor

at best he might go in the 7th but more likely a priority free agent (or non-priority lol)
Sounds like a returner which is one of the biggest holes on this roster, any film of him returning?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sounds like a returner which is one of the biggest holes on this roster, any film of him returning?

not that i could see (got pretty limited tape overall) - he is supposedly a returner but looking at him as an athlete i doubt hed be a true option in the nfl - doesnt appear to have the long speed etc. there are much better options who are also much better weapons on the offence too i think

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
not that i could see (got pretty limited tape overall) - he is supposedly a returner but looking at him as an athlete i doubt hed be a true option in the nfl - doesnt appear to have the long speed etc. there are much better options who are also much better weapons on the offence too i think
Harbaugh has never seemed to really give a shit about athletic or playmaking returners, he’s always seemed to prefer and prioritize reliable and secure returners who will never muff or fumble and knows when to catch and when to let bounce etc.

Outside of jacoby the best returner harbaugh has had was Chris Carr and he was by no means a dynamic playmaking returner but he was solid as a rock and you never saw mistakes when he fielded a punt, and he stuck around for quite some time thanks to that because his cb production was little to none. He even got the contract over josh Wilson because of his return ability.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Harbaugh has never seemed to really give a shit about athletic or playmaking returners, he’s always seemed to prefer and prioritize reliable and secure returners who will never muff or fumble and knows when to catch and when to let bounce etc.

Outside of jacoby the best returner harbaugh has had was Chris Carr and he was by no means a dynamic playmaking returner but he was solid as a rock and you never saw mistakes when he fielded a punt, and he stuck around for quite some time thanks to that because his cb production was little to none. He even got the contract over josh Wilson because of his return ability.

i just look at this year's crop of WRs and see absolutely loads of them who have good and explosive return experience on top of being legitimate wr prospects

basically finke's welcome to come in and compete as a returner but im not drafting him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
doing some work on the earlier WRs just to double-check initial impressions and adjust etc.

in doing so have discovered that Brandon Aiyuk has an 81" wingspan despite being 5'11" - he's legit got the wingspan of someone

for context that's bigger than guys like Mike Williams and only like 1 inch less than Mike Evans who in 2014 had the longest arms recorded for any WR in combine history

rossihunter2

Staff Member
UPDATE:

ive got through every receiver on my list - i have 27 draftable receivers so far (2 are late day 3 that im tempted to bump down to free agents) - but of those 27 i have 16 with day 2 or higher grades

N.B. 1 of the undraftable receivers is Quintez Cephus who had a draftable grade but has a high profile sexual assault incident in his past - he was acquitted but given our organisation's stance on sexual assault my guess is we avoid him anyway thus he's not draftable on my board

for some reference the most receivers ive ever had with draftable grades is 32 by the time the draft rolled around - and i feel like im much harsher now as an evaluator

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
doing some work on the earlier WRs just to double-check initial impressions and adjust etc.

in doing so have discovered that Brandon Aiyuk has an 81" wingspan despite being 5'11" - he's legit got the wingspan of someone

for context that's bigger than guys like Mike Williams and only like 1 inch less than Mike Evans who in 2014 had the longest arms recorded for any WR in combine history
I really really like him. Any idea if he might be around in the third?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ruggs would be tempting if he is somehow around at 20.
If ruggs is available past 18 or so I’m ready to trade our 1 & 2 and maybe next years 2 to move up. Ruggs is an absolute dream for this team.

I still maintain however that he ends up top 10 and maybe WR1. A lot of folks will fight me on that, but that’s my bold prediction and I’m sticking with it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really really like him. Any idea if he might be around in the third?

i think a team falls in love with him at some point in the 2nd round - he's likely going to run sub-4.4 with that wingspan and some explosive tape - struggles with press and not run a particularly diverse route tree but has all the tools you could want in someone his size (more tbh)

im finding it really hard to separate him and jalen reagor - i think reagor's better but struggling to articulate why lol beyond a slightly better route tree and the ability to play outside