• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’d be surprised if Jeudy doesn’t go before Ruggs but of course it can happen. It only takes one team to like Ruggs better to do it. With that said, do you think Ruggs should go before Jeudy is the real question?
Depends on what team we’re talking.

for these ravens, I’d be really goddamn tempted to go ruggs over jeudy and I just might pull that trigger, but jeudy is the better overall receiver. I think both ruggs and jeudy are gonna dominate the league, what it would come down to for me is who brings the biggest impact, and for the ravens i feel like it’s hard to argue ruggs wouldn’t, speed is just gonna forever be lethal in this offense, and everything shy of 20 yards is handled by a dominating TE group.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think we will be taking a WR before day 3, and would even say there’s a good probability we take one with our first or second pick. DeCosta even said himself that you always have to get a lottery ticket with WR. I think we continue to do that. I would go for a speedy WR to continue to stretch these defenses. With Jackson and Brown, adding another speedy guy to threaten the backend will make it hard to defend us like the Chiefs.

its odd that we never took more hits at the position given how we seemed to have that philosophy at almost every other position - we almost always take a corner, we almost always grab a DL, we almost always grab an OL, we almost always grab an EDGE

the only position we never really take yearly shots on were WR and LB - linebacker partly because we always had a good one and were great at finding undrafted guys and wr we just never took a swing at but ive been advocating for over and over - if you dont take one you have literally no shot at finding one - obviously the higher the capital the better too

steelers have had a decent wr corps the entire time ive been watching the NFL basically because they take swings almost every year at that position

we always try and stock up on volume of picks so there's no reason for us not to take all those positions:

unless a draft was weird i'd advocate taking at least 1 DL, 1 OL, 1 WR, 1 DB, 1 EDGE basically every draft - like this year id understand if we dont grab a DL on day 3 for example

with the depth of this draft though id be absolutely shocked if we didnt take a WR - and looking at Matt Miller's most recent mock there looks like there's going to be high quality wr prospects going even on day 3

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Depends on what team we’re talking.

for these ravens, I’d be really goddamn tempted to go ruggs over jeudy and I just might pull that trigger, but jeudy is the better overall receiver. I think both ruggs and jeudy are gonna dominate the league, what it would come down to for me is who brings the biggest impact, and for the ravens i feel like it’s hard to argue ruggs wouldn’t, speed is just gonna forever be lethal in this offense, and everything shy of 20 yards is handled by a dominating TE group.
I see some Beckham-Landry similarities between Jeudy & Ruggs in that I think both are extremely talented. I also think that Jeudy is exceptionally fast himself. I don’t think he is as fast as Ruggs or Brown but I think he’s 4.4 or maybe a touch faster. Ruggs looks like he’s legit 4.2 or so it’s crazy. Ruggs would be a bit better for us because of his RS capabilities as well but I don’t think you can look at it in such a microcosm either.
dont laugh but i think ruggs is as fast as tyreek.
So you think Ruggs is faster than Brown too?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I see some Beckham-Landry similarities between Jeudy & Ruggs in that I think both are extremely talented. I also think that Jeudy is exceptionally fast himself. I don’t think he is as fast as Ruggs or Brown but I think he’s 4.4 or maybe a touch faster. Ruggs looks like he’s legit 4.2 or so it’s crazy. Ruggs would be a bit better for us because of his RS capabilities as well but I don’t think you can look at it in such a microcosm either.

i think he's faster than brown - brown's lightning but watching the way ruggs hits that top gear i cant remember seeing hollywood hit quite that top speed but maybe im underestimating hollywood because of this season where he wasnt 100%

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Humphrey getting killed on double move by Galladay for 59 yard reception

yes

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think he's faster than brown - brown's lightning but watching the way ruggs hits that top gear i cant remember seeing hollywood hit quite that top speed but maybe im underestimating hollywood because of this season where he wasnt 100%
The problem with evaluating Brown is he was injured as a pro. In college it’s very hard for me to tell who is faster. I will say I also thought Ruggs was faster but again it’s so hard to say with that.
I can see it. I do think that Ruggs is faster than Hill. Hill is so damn explosive though but I feel like Ruggs hits his gear really insanely fast.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i guess we'll have to draft ruggs and get them to race in practice (with lamar too)
I’d be OK with this. Tough question but you’re at 28 and both Greenard and Ruggs are on the board and Jeudy is gone. What do you do?
I see Hollywood as the 3-5th fastest in the league
Really? I think he’s top 2-3 but who’s faster than him besides Hill? That’s a tough call because Hollywood in college was crazy fast.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ruggs is also 6 foot while tyreek and brown are midgets

if we trade judon and get a 2nd we should use that to trade up for ruggs. Him and Hollywood along with Lamar is just not fair.

Ruggs is special and his hands are not that bad either.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’d be OK with this. Tough question but you’re at 28 and both Greenard and Ruggs are on the board and Jeudy is gone. What do you do?

Really? I think he’s top 2-3 but who’s faster than him besides Hill? That’s a tough call because Hollywood in college was crazy fast.

Hardman.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think Hollywood has better hands though than Tyreek and Hardman. Also a better route runner.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ruggs is also 6 foot while tyreek and brown are midgets

if we trade judon and get a 2nd we should use that to trade up for ruggs. Him and Hollywood along with Lamar is just not fair.

Ruggs is special and his hands are not that bad either.
I agree regarding the concept of building a bully on offense and taking a strength and making it more so. I think Eric gets that too and I think that’s going to be an emphasis here. The Ravens aren’t stupid and know that we have a strength and we can build a monster if we focus on it. I don’t think we would trade a 1st and a 2nd round pick to move up to get him though if that’s what you’re suggesting. I could see trading a 2nd and another pick but not two high picks like that.
i think Hollywood has better hands though than Tyreek and Hardman. Also a better route runner.
Agreed on those points.
i mean i love greenard but i expect ruggs will be a lot higher on my board
that being said its possible that greenard might be available with a 2nd round pick
True, I agree with that. Just wondering since I know you like both. I have Ruggs higher than Greenard as well. Most WR are rated higher than defenders in this draft for me.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’d be surprised if Jeudy doesn’t go before Ruggs but of course it can happen. It only takes one team to like Ruggs better to do it. With that said, do you think Ruggs should go before Jeudy is the real question?
I think Jeudy is the more sure fire prospect and should be an immediate WR2 or 1 depending on the team however I think Ruggs has more potential but it's very slim. Hes just more explosive of a playmaker and adds return value.

Basically Jeudy is more of a volume target and a redzone guy while Ruggs is a big play waiting to happen. Totally different styles.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I was not too big on Hollywood before we drafted him(size and injuries worried me) but I said long before we drafted him that he was the fastest player I had ever watched. I think he would’ve been like 4.24 at least. If not, then he’s got the best acceleration I’ve seen