• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
the problem here is that we are absolutely barren on the interior DL in 2020, we dont have a single 3tech on the roster right now, we have 5 DTs and all of them are 0-1s, one of those 5 is a FA and likely due for big money, of the remaining 4 you have a late round rookie whos shown nothing, 2 very old rentals on 1 year deals, and then brandon williams.

there is NOTHING chase young could do to remedy that hole in the roster, and there would be essentially nothing the team could do either, outside of signing a leonard williams, who would then strip us of a third round comp which we would be desperately holding onto since we traded all of our draft capital, and then we would have no trade bait to grab a guy who may hit the trade block who we may need.

it is way too steep a price and we can make moves to maximize this teams winning potential in lamars rookie deal without doing that, and honestly, i dont believe that move would give us the best chance to maximize our SB window. an injury to chase young and then were leaning entirely on lamar to completely carry the team, because with the guys that will be leaving soon the defense will be resting on chase youngs shoulders because humphrey and peters and thomas wouldnt be able to cover guys long enough.
Wormley's best position is 5 Tech.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
BULLSHIT! We still have your boy Ferguson. And interior DL is another position we've had success with late in the draft but I get where you all are coming from. Was just wondering and I wouldn't mind if the FO went either way with their decision.
Whoa, settle down guy, lmao.

Clarence brooks was responsible for how often we churned out DTs from no name guys, we have not done well with DL at all since his passing. In fact we have been flat out horrible. Michael pierce is the only quality DL we have produced since Clarence brooks left. Sure, we haven’t invested much, but what you’re suggesting is we don’t have to invest much because we develop them well from late rounders and I’m sorry that’s just not true of this team anymore

For your final point, if we made that move, i wouldn’t be mad at them, at least not until the downside of that deal rears it’s ugly head, which it would eventually. Having chase young would be exciting as hell and I’d probably order his jersey the day his number was revealed, doesn’t mean it would be a good overall decision.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
CeeDee Lamb is an absolute cheat code lol. He is dominating against Baylor, would any of you go up and get Lamb in the same way Atlanta went up and got Julio? You pair him with Lamar and in our offense, we are unstoppable.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Whoa, settle down guy, lmao.

Clarence brooks was responsible for how often we churned out DTs from no name guys, we have not done well with DL at all since his passing. In fact we have been flat out horrible. Michael pierce is the only quality DL we have produced since Clarence brooks left. Sure, we haven’t invested much, but what you’re suggesting is we don’t have to invest much because we develop them well from late rounders and I’m sorry that’s just not true of this team anymore

For your final point, if we made that move, i wouldn’t be mad at them, at least not until the downside of that deal rears it’s ugly head, which it would eventually. Having chase young would be exciting as hell and I’d probably order his jersey the day his number was revealed, doesn’t mean it would be a good overall decision.
Fact. And when it was time to bring in top DL coach, we whiffed and failed to bring Dunbar from Alabama. Even worse - look at how Steelers front is playing with Dunbar as a coach.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
CeeDee Lamb is an absolute cheat code lol. He is dominating against Baylor, would any of you go up and get Lamb in the same way Atlanta went up and got Julio? You pair him with Lamar and in our offense, we are unstoppable.
No. By selling out draft to pick WR you are only making sure that you won't win anything.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Fact. And when it was time to bring in top DL coach, we whiffed and failed to bring Dunbar from Alabama. Even worse - look at how Steelers front is playing with Dunbar as a coach.
That hurts. And then look at the step back that Alabama’s defense seems to have taken in his absence.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we sign Judon, I want to do it under one condition, and this of course is on top of extending Stanley and Peters and assuring that we have money for Humphrey next year;

We offer whatever Shaq Barrett wants, then really attack the interior in the draft. This is one of the better DT classes I’ve seen recently especially towards the top. Neville gallimore is a SPECIAL player and I hope he doesn’t get his due recognition before draft night because I desperately want him on this team, and we know edc likes Oklahoma players, then you also got guys like Marvin Wilson who is a NT without question but a very high ceiling one, Leki Fotu who has Brent urban length but NT bulk, if we attack edge in FA i really wouldn’t mind seeing us take 2 DTs in day 1 and 2.

Then Markus Bailey could be an excellent NFL
LB as well, natural run stuffer but highly instinctive in coverage as well, then there’s Troy dye who’s just freakishly explosive.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
If we sign Judon, I want to do it under one condition, and this of course is on top of extending Stanley and Peters and assuring that we have money for Humphrey next year;

We offer whatever Shaq Barrett wants, then really attack the interior in the draft. This is one of the better DT classes I’ve seen recently especially towards the top. Neville gallimore is a SPECIAL player and I hope he doesn’t get his due recognition before draft night because I desperately want him on this team, and we know edc likes Oklahoma players, then you also got guys like Marvin Wilson who is a NT without question but a very high ceiling one, Leki Fotu who has Brent urban length but NT bulk, if we attack edge in FA i really wouldn’t mind seeing us take 2 DTs in day 1 and 2.

Then Markus Bailey could be an excellent NFL
LB as well, natural run stuffer but highly instinctive in coverage as well, then there’s Troy dye who’s just freakishly explosive.
Interior D line is a big need but please move this (and several other posts above) to draft/prospects thread or this one will lose its purpose. @rossihunter2

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think the fact that the highest recorded speed with possession this year came from hayden hurst tells you everything you need to know about the usefulness of 40 times - how often is a player going to be flat out running in a straight line with the ball?

having long speed is great but its clearly far more important to have short area quickness or the ability to use route-running and technique to create space in small areas

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I find it hard to advocate getting this team a RB in round 1, but holy shit Jonathan Taylor looks like one of the most slam dunk stud prospects I’ve ever seen.

Honestly, the fact that he’s considered anything outside of the top 10 is a disgrace, Taylor is Gurley-esque(aside from the unproven receiving ability). IMO he’s much better than Gordon was, and I’ve become quite a fan.

If he manages to fal to the bottom and we grab him, I have no doubts he’ll have mark Ingram’s job within the year.

Last edited:

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I find it hard to advocate getting this team a RB in round 1, but holy shit Jonathan Taylor looks like one of the most slam dunk stud prospects I’ve ever seen.

Honestly, the fact that he’s considered anything outside of the top 10 is a disgrace, Taylor is Gurley-esque(aside from the unproven receiving ability). IMO he’s much better than Gordon was, and I’ve become quite a fan.

If he manages to fal to the bottom and we grab him, I have no doubts he’ll have mark Ingram’s job within the year.
The only downside I see in him is the amount of snaps he's played in college. He'll have 900+ carries by the end of this year. In comparison, Ingram has had 1500 in his 9 year career.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The only downside I see in him is the amount of snaps he's played in college. He'll have 900+ carries by the end of this year. In comparison, Ingram has had 1500 in his 9 year career.
Yeah, already at 905.
Derrick Henry had almost 400 in his junior season (395) but 602 for a career. One full 300 carries season less than Taylor.
Taylor is awesome but that mileage is going to scare teams of spending high pick on him. Then again, there's only one team needed to pull a trigger, so who knows...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah, already at 905.
Derrick Henry had almost 400 in his junior season (395) but 602 for a career. One full 300 carries season less than Taylor.
Taylor is awesome but that mileage is going to scare teams of spending high pick on him. Then again, there's only one team needed to pull a trigger, so who knows...
Well he can have a low workload and rest those legs for a year or 2 with like 100 carries a season, then the next 2-3 years let him finish his rookie contract with Lamar while he’s also on a rookie contract and we can have a rushing attack loaded with game breakers. I would never understate Ingram’s impact on this team, but as far as being a pure runner, I think Taylor would be an upgrade, I think he’s gonna have an elite stretch of production throughout his rookie contract and if he falls off after, no big deal, that’s what RBs are for anyway lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And for the record, I don’t wanna draft any rb in the first lol, just making a case for “if” that were to happen

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
this is a huge reason why Ingram has longevity. I don't want to see them draft a RB in round one either, but I'm also for them taking bpa.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
That hurts. And then look at the step back that Alabama’s defense seems to have taken in his absence.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dunbar has interviews for defensive coordinator positions next year given what has been said in this thread.