• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How’s this for a draft day strategy if the board falls...

If jerry jeudy begins falling, which looks quite possible, trade a 2 to move up for him.

then move up for Cesar Ruiz and trade a 3 and 4

i understand it - and it would be great to get 2 guys like that but you'd be giving up a lot of capital to basically have your draft completely come down to those first 2 picks

more generally im not sure id want to give up any decent capital at all for any WR in this draft because there's so many - even jeudy i dont think is special enough to spend 2 high value picks on

then again idk - jeudy is a great prospect

that being said since the 9ers trade with the colts i dont think jeudy makes it past 13 - he's an awesome fit in that kyle shanahan offence with kittle and deebo samuel

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i understand it - and it would be great to get 2 guys like that but you'd be giving up a lot of capital to basically have your draft completely come down to those first 2 picks

more generally im not sure id want to give up any decent capital at all for any WR in this draft because there's so many - even jeudy i dont think is special enough to spend 2 high value picks on

then again idk - jeudy is a great prospect

that being said since the 9ers trade with the colts i dont think jeudy makes it past 13 - he's an awesome fit in that kyle shanahan offence with kittle and deebo samuel
Good point about SF, could definitely see that. But, the more I do mocks, the more I feel like trading up is for the best, maybe not in the first, but if we can pull it off I’d like to see 2 picks in the top 10 of the second round. This class is really strong in rounds 2 and 3 but I think there’s a very steep drop as soon as you hit round 4. I’d be down with trading away basically all the 4s and 5s to get max value in rounds 2 and 3

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Good point about SF, could definitely see that. But, the more I do mocks, the more I feel like trading up is for the best, maybe not in the first, but if we can pull it off I’d like to see 2 picks in the top 10 of the second round. This class is really strong in rounds 2 and 3 but I think there’s a very steep drop as soon as you hit round 4. I’d be down with trading away basically all the 4s and 5s to get max value in rounds 2 and 3

i think the first major dropoff is somewhere near the end of round 2 (but more likely towards the beginning of round 3) and then the next major dropoff after that is at the end of round 4

but i do like the idea of trading up in round 2 with that 55th pick

not that im advocating for this at all but i find it interesting that the combined value of the 55th and 60th pick gets you to the 29th pick

LSURavenFan

Veteran
The 1st round is going to be so fascinating.

As others have said, WR's will be going fast and furious. I expect Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs to be gone by 13th. Denver needs a WR, they smell like a team that will reach for one rather than BPA

Philly has addressed their D in free agency, Mims feels like an Eagle to me
Minny will take a WR to go opposite Thielen
Jacksonville, might take one too who knows with them, GB needs a WR they might leapfrog the Ravens. The Texans also feel like a team that would somehow (they have very few picks) try to find a way into round one.

It puts EDC and the Ravens in an interesting spot, I've ran some mocks where Kinlaw is available at 28th. Not a need right now, but he would be a nice pick. Or do they feel like they need to take a WR at 28, for fear of all the ones they like being gone by the time they pick on day 2.

Really interested to see how this plays out

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The 1st round is going to be so fascinating.

As others have said, WR's will be going fast and furious. I expect Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs to be gone by 13th. Denver needs a WR, they smell like a team that will reach for one rather than BPA

Philly has addressed their D in free agency, Mims feels like an Eagle to me
Minny will take a WR to go opposite Thielen
Jacksonville, might take one too who knows with them, GB needs a WR they might leapfrog the Ravens. The Texans also feel like a team that would somehow (they have very few picks) try to find a way into round one.

It puts EDC and the Ravens in an interesting spot, I've ran some mocks where Kinlaw is available at 28th. Not a need right now, but he would be a nice pick. Or do they feel like they need to take a WR at 28, for fear of all the ones they like being gone by the time they pick on day 2.

Really interested to see how this plays out
Kinlaw or Davidson would be awesome picks at #28

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So without any visits, obviously teams will pretty much be going into the Draft blind when it comes to Tua. Sure, the combine reports said he was going to be good. Does this change his stock considering teams won't be able to do workouts with him to get a better idea of his health and could he fall?

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
kinlaw's the type of defensive talent we would normally have no shot at - if he made it anywhere near 28 we'd have to leap at that opportunity, need be damned
100%. Our D-line is long overdue for an infusion of young talent, but even if that was not the case, Kinlaw is the type of player you do not pass on, period.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I just watched everyone’s favorite LB Kenneth Murray, and man... i have a really bad feeling Eric drafts him. He just strikes me as a player Eric would pick, no tangible reason to say that, but it’s a true statement...

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I just watched everyone’s favorite LB Kenneth Murray, and man... i have a really bad feeling Eric drafts him. He just strikes me as a player Eric would pick, no tangible reason to say that, but it’s a true statement...
Lmao.. thats why i said what i said so we migbt as well get use to seeing the good in murry and what he can do for this team lol

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
But tbh i dont think he is all that bad as people think. Yea we could get better value at the pick but i think he could come in and contribute rigbt away vs the run lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But tbh i dont think he is all that bad as people think. Yea we could get better value at the pick but i think he could come in and contribute rigbt away vs the run lol.

i dont think he's an awful prospect or undraftable or anything like that - i just think he's too raw to take in the 1st round (and probably the 2nd round too) - ive got a 3rd round grade on him and have him as the 75th player on the board

that's not to say i dont think he has great qualities - his athleticism is exciting and he's shown moments of clarity where it all clicks but he's also got a hell of a lot to improve on which i dont think is necessarily beyond coaching but i just think that's a massive risk to take in the 1st round

and tbh im not the biggest fan of taking any ILB in round 1 anyway just based off positional value in our defence

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He’s an extreme boom or bust. He’s a guy I could imagine making a good few plays but also being directly responsible for giving up big runs very often.

I’m all for Cesar Ruiz R1, he’s probably my top possible prospect

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
If he's there at 28, we are taking him. Wont surprise me if we move to get him either. Im preparing myself for something along the lines of:
1)Murray
2) falling RB
2) Uche or IOL

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'm legitimately asking, not being a dick or anything. Why is the consensus that EDC is going to pick a player that the overwhelming majority of the board sees as such a generally bad pick? Has he done anything thus far to suggest that would be the case? The Ferguson pick? That was a third round pick on a small school guy with big productuon. Better production than BWill and he turned out pretty good. Idk. I just don't see it. I think we've been addressing the defense in FA and are planning to improve both the offense and defense in the draft but primarily the offense early. Idk just my sense of things.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm legitimately asking, not being a dick or anything. Why is the consensus that EDC is going to pick a player that the overwhelming majority of the board sees as such a generally bad pick? Has he done anything thus far to suggest that would be the case? The Ferguson pick? That was a third round pick on a small school guy with big productuon. Better production than BWill and he turned out pretty good. Idk. I just don't see it. I think we've been addressing the defense in FA and are planning to improve both the offense and defense in the draft but primarily the offense early. Idk just my sense of things.
Because there were LBs on the market that would’ve been good fits and had we went that route instead of brockers, we could’ve afforded them.

now, it feels like we’re gonna go after the guy that the entire world has been mocking to us for basically the whole offseason, because we didn’t address it when we could and it happens so often. Jimmy/Torrey, upshaw, Elam, mosley, hurst/lamar, and hollywood, were all extremely popular mocks to the ravens, quite possibly the “consensus” mock each of their respective years.