• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not really sure what's the fascination with Queen. He was never, ever mentioned or been on anyone's radar until the SEC and National championship games. He played well in those two but I don't think he or any other LB in this class is worth a day 1 pick, apart from maybe Simmons but he'll need to bulk up to play LB in pros.
I like him and I like his leadership skills and his improvement through the year as well, but I think I agree with you. I'd rather take an ILB in the 2nd round, rather than the first round and take either Ruiz or Mims with our 1st.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm not really sure what's the fascination with Queen. He was never, ever mentioned or been on anyone's radar until the SEC and National championship games. He played well in those two but I don't think he or any other LB in this class is worth a day 1 pick, apart from maybe Simmons but he'll need to bulk up to play LB in pros.
He jumped on the radar in the championship and made people go back and take a look and they found a very good player that they didn’t know of prior, it’s pretty simple...

The Texas and bama and I THINK Arkansas games were also great ones, like he’s put some really spectacular games on film, he just didn’t have that much hype prior for some reason

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Everyone loves Queen and I get it. He's good but I don't love the positional value. I think he'd have to be a superstar linebacker to be worth a first in the Ravens system and I'm not sure he is. He very well could end up that way, because he's already a leader and it was noticeable in the 2nd half of LSU's season.

With the Ravens abilities to find inside linebackers due you feel getting a top notch Lineman like Cesar Ruiz or another great WR like Mims would be of higher importance than drafting a 1st round ILB, ie Queen?

i agree with that - dont love the idea of ILB round 1 at all - even round 2 makes me nervous in terms of positional value - the positional importance is going the way of the RB i think where it's easy enough and cheap enough to create a platoon of players with differing strengths than 1 all encompassing player

the only reason you really might need that 3 down player is for communication/green dot type purposes but if you've got a safety like chuck who drops down and wears the green dot then it creates flexibility in your corps at the position

it would be great to get a great player at ILB but i agree with you that the opportunity cost of not taking another position is probably bigger than the value of taking someone like queen in round 1

that being said i still think queen is probably one of the top 28 prospects in the draft class

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i think the timing is partly that the nat championship sent people back to the tape

but more that it was coincidentally around the same time that most teams have been knocked out of the playoffs so is when naturally teams and media and players turn towards the draft

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
E476BDF4-98A3-44A7-B777-7953CB2CC257.jpeg

I’d like my fairy dust to go, please!

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I like him and I like his leadership skills and his improvement through the year as well, but I think I agree with you. I'd rather take an ILB in the 2nd round, rather than the first round and take either Ruiz or Mims with our 1st.
I think I was the first to bring up Marlon Davidson and Mims for us back while college season was going and I still maintain that opinion. Ruiz pick I think would be forced because of Yanda's retirement and overall state of our IOL. He's good but I don't know whether he's a 1st round pick.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think I was the first to bring up Marlon Davidson and Mims for us back while college season was going and I still maintain that opinion. Ruiz pick I think would be forced because of Yanda's retirement and overall state of our IOL. He's good but I don't know whether he's a 1st round pick.
I'd be cool with Ruiz even if we still had Yanda. I don't think it would be forced at all.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

with you on davidson and mims
i genuinely think ruiz is a top 15 prospect for the ravens in this draft class - part of that is need factored in but not majorly - taking need completely away he's still based on my grades at least in the top 24 but probably top 20 still - might drop from 13 (where he is right now on my board) to about 19 - still very much worthy of a 1st round pick

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Screenshot_20200319-223006.png

I know people talk about scheme fit but you don't pass up on the chance at getting a good interior pass rusher. Gallimore could be a huge difference maker in our defence. Plus Wink can make some matchup nightmares with Gallimore.

Hamlet is basically a not quite as good version of Hollywood. He brings more explosiveness, and long speed. Cephus gives us mister reliable in the redzone and third down. Big, strong, and plays like it.

Hunt is a monster RG to slot in next our monster RT. Biadasz gives us a strong, reliable center. Our run game could be even better than last year with these additions.

Zuniga is a straight replacement to Judon. Perhaps an upgrade, at least in consistency. Robinson is a high ceiling athletic edge guy with burst and bend. Might not live up to his gifts but worth the gamble at that point.

McFarland gives us an explosive playmaker out of the backfield. Could be a really good receiving back, and returner.

Green is just depth competition, and special teamer.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is my first pist in this thread, I haven't read any of the 30 pages except for what I saw on the latest page. Funny enough is I was coming to say I really liked Queen at 28 lol. He or Justin Jefferson is he drops that far. Really feeling like right now is the time to take some LSU players. Kind like how we've been doing with Oklahoma

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is my first pist in this thread, I haven't read any of the 30 pages except for what I saw on the latest page. Funny enough is I was coming to say I really liked Queen at 28 lol. He or Justin Jefferson is he drops that far. Really feeling like right now is the time to take some LSU players. Kind like how we've been doing with Oklahoma
I like Queen, but I'd rather not take an ILB in the first round unless he's going to be a stud. For me it's all about positional value and believe other players, ie Mims, Ruiz would be better value at that point.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I like Queen, but I'd rather not take an ILB in the first round unless he's going to be a stud. For me it's all about positional value and believe other players, ie Mims, Ruiz would be better value at that point.

If we have Bynes on the team or someone else comparable, I couldn't agree more. I'm just not sold that Fort can do this by himself hahaha. I obviously know we're gonna add someone, but if we don't in FA and we're intent on adding in the draft, I wouldn't mind a first or second round pick if the right guy is there

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
View attachment 2235

I know people talk about scheme fit but you don't pass up on the chance at getting a good interior pass rusher. Gallimore could be a huge difference maker in our defence. Plus Wink can make some matchup nightmares with Gallimore.

Hamlet is basically a not quite as good version of Hollywood. He brings more explosiveness, and long speed. Cephus gives us mister reliable in the redzone and third down. Big, strong, and plays like it.

Hunt is a monster RG to slot in next our monster RT. Biadasz gives us a strong, reliable center. Our run game could be even better than last year with these additions.

Zuniga is a straight replacement to Judon. Perhaps an upgrade, at least in consistency. Robinson is a high ceiling athletic edge guy with burst and bend. Might not live up to his gifts but worth the gamble at that point.

McFarland gives us an explosive playmaker out of the backfield. Could be a really good receiving back, and returner.

Green is just depth competition, and special teamer.
I love halmer. Probably gets the most separation out of all the wrs in this class from what ive seen. I just dont like the fact that we would have two 5’9 wrs. We could probably make it work but just the thought of it dont seem good for me

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I love halmer. Probably gets the most separation out of all the wrs in this class from what ive seen. I just dont like the fact that we would have two 5’9 wrs. We could probably make it work but just the thought of it dont seem good for me
I’m cool with that just because we use our TEs like the big man and we have 2 guys who can run some lethal clear routes for andrews and Boyle but can also separate on regular routes and be a real threat to score on clear routes if the play is extended

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Josh uche is a guy I feel like the ravens are gonna be interested in and idk how to feel. He’s definitely a good football player in general, I love how quick and explosive and flexible he is, and he’s super slippery in traffic and is actually a really sure tackler, and at times he’s shows a great rush, flying off the ball and using one arm extensions and bending very low to turn the corner with ease often barely getting touched, and he finishes very well after the arc, BUT he also at times shows the exact opposite and inexplicably takes on an entire blocker who outweighs him by 70 lbs, he is gonna have to completely eliminate that from his game and learn to only challenge one side of the blocker. He also looks like a legit off ball LB from what I’ve seen. Just very impressive in space, really aware and instinctive, flows well and keeps himself unblocked and doesn’t lose the ball and takes good angles.

idk, I like him but I can’t help but get bowser and Correa vibes from him just because we’ve seen this off ball LB/edge hybrid thing play out too many times already

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Although I'd rather not spend #28 on Patrick Queen due to positional value and thinking there may be someone better on the boards, I don't hate the idea either since I do really like Queen as a player. I'd just rather have a Mims or Ruiz over him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just did another TDN mock machine and the results were frankly ridiculous following BPA... no edge help though until the 7th round:

28: Denzel Mims
55: Justin Madubuike
60: Brandon Aiyuk
92: Troy Dye
106: Shane Lemieux
129: Antonio Gandy-Golden
134: Josiah Scott
157: Chris Orr
225: Trevis Gipson

i know there's no edge help but i'd be ecstatic with this kind of draft class - i have 1st round grades on all 3 of the first 3 picks

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
31E07AA6-A653-4B39-9E8B-74BF0354B3C7.png

this would be such an amazing rounds 1-4. Like if this happened I’m losing my shit and basically guaranteeing us a dynasty lol.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
How’s this for a draft day strategy if the board falls...

If jerry jeudy begins falling, which looks quite possible, trade a 2 to move up for him.

then move up for Cesar Ruiz and trade a 3 and 4