• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
True, but if we have multiple guys left that we’ve placed high on our board and are available at 28, I would hope we do this. Getting a stud rookie pass rusher to rotate in and another WR for Lamar to grow with would be insane for the team
if we have multiple guys available at 28 I would hope we would trade down and accumulate picks rather than trade up and have less resources, but that's just me.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
if we have multiple guys available at 28 I would hope we would trade down and accumulate picks rather than trade up and have less resources, but that's just me.

if there is anyway we could trade our 1st for an early 2nd and early 3rd i'd jump on that. say 28 > 36 and 72nd pick

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
yes it's possible, but I'm not so sure we would do it. It's not like we are trading for a QB.
We’re not trading for a qb but we’d be trading to nail needed stars at needed positions for a 3-4 super bowl window.

subtle trade ups are what we should be doing right now honestly, as long as we are doing it wisely and getting good players.

making 10-12 selections every draft is what you do when you are building a roster, when you have already paid your qb and you have to continuously hit on 2-3 future starters every draft class, in other words, it’s what you do to scrape by and stay competitive when you have joe Flacco making 20+ per year for 6 seasons and multiple players with mega deals not even seeing the field.

but when you have lamar Jackson, Mark Andrews, Orlando brown jr, marlon Humphrey, Ronnie Stanley, Chuck Clark, Hollywood brown, and potentially Myles Boykin, on rather cheap deals, you can move up to land a stud to fill a need.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We’re not trading for a qb but we’d be trading to nail needed stars at needed positions for a 3-4 super bowl window.

subtle trade ups are what we should be doing right now honestly, as long as we are doing it wisely and getting good players.

making 10-12 selections every draft is what you do when you are building a roster, when you have already paid your qb and you have to continuously hit on 2-3 future starters every draft class, in other words, it’s what you do to scrape by and stay competitive when you have joe Flacco making 20+ per year for 6 seasons and multiple players with mega deals not even seeing the field.

but when you have lamar Jackson, Mark Andrews, Orlando brown jr, marlon Humphrey, Ronnie Stanley, Chuck Clark, Hollywood brown, and potentially Myles Boykin, on rather cheap deals, you can move up to land a stud to fill a need.
I don't mind a small trade up, but I also don't want to give up valuable resources that can be used for good starters in the 2nd round.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@Jacquouille
@rossihunter2

Raequan's lack of pass rush doesn't concern me as much as something thats hard for me to be sure Im seeing but it strikes me infield as an inconsistent passion...whicj is really nebulous I know.
Here is why I think the Ravens might take him along with Murray (although I have a different linebacker in mind):

OZ and mid zone runs for starters; Cleveland, Kansas City, San Fran, and Tennessee all had success running the football,(actually, we were not good at stopping the run at all last year. It was consistent and embarrassing by Ravens standards).

The Ravens see Murray as someone who can shoot and penetrate against stretch and that can chase down plays outside. he doesn't show that he knows how to hit and shed in space so they have to keep him clean.

Davis is a monster in the run game. And not just at 5T. A guy that good against the run in the 2nd round is pretty good value to me. This pains me to say because I love Ruiz but Saban matched him up at nose all game vs. Michigan. Its a war but Ruiz absolutely had his hands full...struggled with stuff he's normally great at. Davis beats him pretty regularly with hands first and was often able to control Ruiz and penetrate/shed...in the run nd pass game. (I saw Davis matched only twice against Cushenberry with similar results....Threw him to the ground off a combination and push pulled him. What I am saying is that Saban didn't want Ruiz mauling his typical nose and Michigan imposing the run game on them and he saw Davis as a better bet inside against a dominant run blocker.

For whatever reason, there is a sense I get that his head might not be straight...could be wrong about that.

My preference if we took him would be, Baun/Epenesa early and Davis - gaither at will along with Davis in round two.

It wasn't just our pass rush that was anemic. our run defense needs major sureing up. he's a great 5T with versatility and again, if his heads straight and based on what I saw vs. Michigan, I'll take 1 of him for 2 Brandon Williams at NT

interestingly (i think it was DJ who said this but it could be one of the other draftniks around) but Saban said of him that he came into the room at Bama at a bad time where the other guys on the DL were bad influences on a pretty impressionable and fairly immature young man and that immaturity festered for a little while so he ends up coasting off his talent and a great first year (with incredible surrounding talent) before putting up an absolute stinker in year 2

saban says ultimately he's a good kid but it took him a while to understand how to be

but the thing that DJ said that was most interesting was that they had an interview with raekwon davis almost immediately afterward and Davis said the exact same thing as Saban - that he had been immature but realised that and has been working on it ever since that realisation

i wonder if that might be the sense you're getting and if it is then it sounds like it's very much in the past but that the locker room he goes into at the beginning of his pro career will probably have a major impact on how his career goes - a good locker room that helps him create good habits could turn him into the superstar that he was always hyped as but never became at Bama, a bad locker room or bad coaching staff/culture could see him develop bad habits and need a change of scenery after his rookie contract

i dont foresee him being or having any attitude problems in baltimore if he gets drafted here and i definitely dont hate him in the 2nd - i just dont love the idea of getting a LB and following it up with a run-stuffing DL - it's the philosophy of it (and value) that i dont like rather than raekwon as a prospect

FYI the more i watch of murray the even less he seems like remotely the guy the ravens would/should draft in the 1st round - he just doesnt have the characteristics of what we've traditionally looked for in our LBs at any point in franchise history - and that is one position where we've had tons of success - i dont know why we'd change that now

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can you guys see another 2018 scenario where we take someone like Epenesa or Mims at 28 then trade back into the 1st or early 2nd with our capital and taking the other one we didn’t select?

absolutely - interestingly on the draft trade chart (obviously a guideline not the rule and ignores the value of the 5th year option) our 2 2nd rounders are worth an equivalent amount to the 29th pick

so its certainly possible/feasible

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can you guys see another 2018 scenario where we take someone like Epenesa or Mims at 28 then trade back into the 1st or early 2nd with our capital and taking the other one we didn’t select?

yes it's possible, but I'm not so sure we would do it. It's not like we are trading for a QB.

tbf, DeCosta was apparently even looking at the price to do something like that last year after we got hollywood - he was looking hard at the possibility of getting up to a decent pick in the 2nd round to get Cody Ford - and that was without even having a 2nd round pick to begin with (just the 2 3rd rounders)

so EDC is clearly more likely to get aggressive for a player he covets at a place in the draft where that player is at the intersection of being the right prospect at the right position at the right draft pick - and EDC clearly has an idea of what those prospects and values look like

rossihunter2

Staff Member
as a wr would you even wanna play for the ravens? Theyre gonna have to be willing, no matter how great they is to avg 50 catches per year for the next 5yrs hurting their chances and getting a big contract 2nd time around..or maybe even not being able to showcase their full potential. I hope we dont draft anyone with bad personality traits

you're assuming our offence wont change, when clearly it will, as has been signalled by bisciotti and by the trading away of hayden

this offence is going to develop every year with lamar's development as a passer and as we add receiving options around him

JAAM

Hall of Famer
absolutely - interestingly on the draft trade chart (obviously a guideline not the rule and ignores the value of the 5th year option) our 2 2nd rounders are worth an equivalent amount to the 29th pick

so its certainly possible/feasible
Oh wow. Didn’t know that. That’s great and I hope we take advantage with how much we suck at picking 2nd rounders

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
tbf, DeCosta was apparently even looking at the price to do something like that last year after we got hollywood - he was looking hard at the possibility of getting up to a decent pick in the 2nd round to get Cody Ford - and that was without even having a 2nd round pick to begin with (just the 2 3rd rounders)

so EDC is clearly more likely to get aggressive for a player he covets at a place in the draft where that player is at the intersection of being the right prospect at the right position at the right draft pick - and EDC clearly has an idea of what those prospects and values look like
yep and he said it cost too much to go up and get Ford. There definitely is a fine line though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yep and he said it cost too much to go up and get Ford. There definitely is a fine line though.

I just find it interesting seeing how high he was looking to go up despite limited capital

I don’t think we’re going to do a massive trade up this year but 2019 shows us he was willing to go big (for the right price) with much less ammunition

It means he was talking about trading up into the low-mid 30s with the 85th pick

If there’s someone he likes he won’t hesitate with the 55th (or 92nd) is what that tells me

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I just find it interesting seeing how high he was looking to go up despite limited capital

I don’t think we’re going to do a massive trade up this year but 2019 shows us he was willing to go big (for the right price) with much less ammunition

It means he was talking about trading up into the low-mid 30s with the 85th pick

If there’s someone he likes he won’t hesitate with the 55th (or 92nd) is what that tells me
trading up higher in the 2nd could be what we end up doing, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see us trade back in the 2nd for the right price.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
trading up higher in the 2nd could be what we end up doing, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see us trade back in the 2nd for the right price.
I've run some mock drafts and I don't see much value in the first at all (no worthy edge and wr) . Our 1st for two 2nds this year or a 2nd and enough ammo to trade up into the 2nd.
Imho the 2nd and 3rd round is extremely deep in term of talent

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've run some mock drafts and I don't see much value in the first at all (no worthy edge and wr) . Our 1st for two 2nds this year or a 2nd and enough ammo to trade up into the 2nd.
Imho the 2nd and 3rd round is extremely deep in term of talent

i think the 3rd round is full of talent and i think the top of the 2nd round is full of talent but i think the difference between the 45th player and the 85th player on my board is not that big - there's a long list of players i really like in the 1st round and it's likely at least 7 or 8 of them fall into the 2nd round but i dont expect that fall to make it to 55

there's a short list of players i like in the 2nd round and i dont expect any to make it to 92

there's a huge list of players i like in the 3rd round and i fully expect enough to be available that we still take 3rd round talents in the 4th round

the thing about the 1st round is it might be we dont end up with a WR or an EDGE but i think we end up with a major talent but it might be DL or S or LB as much as it might be EDGE or WR or IOL - i dont think it would be CB but there'll be some highly talented CBs although id recommend any CB needy team to trade down into the 2nd round because there's about 6 of them i love between 27th and 47th on my board

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
you're right i think a lot of talent we will really covet is going to disappear between 28 and 55
Absolutely, there’s a sharp drop off probably in the 40s, where that post drop-off crop of players can be fairly even in talent level all the way until Somewhere in the early-mid 4th.

For instance if we miss out on a wr in 1, you have a guy like Brandon aiyuk in 2, who really shouldn’t be regarded much higher than a kj hill, van jefferson, quartney davis, James proche, Devin duvernay, or Isaiah hodgins, most of whom are gonna be going somewhere on day 3.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The more we discuss the more I like the thought of trading up from our 2, but only if we land the right player at 28.

if mims, epenesa, and Ruiz are off the board at 28, we need to trade back, there’s simply no player worth it, if we can move back say to somewhere in the 30s and pick up an early 3 it would be ideal. Tee Higgins isn’t a guy I necessarily value but if we could land him after a hefty trade back I’d be ecstatic, then you have Malik Harrison who’s become a favorite of mine, I still for some reason have a liking for josh uche, and that’s a pairing I wouldn’t hate because they’re great complements of contrasting styles that have their place on the field together, then there’s the strong DL class in the 30s-40s, Robert Hunt needs to be on our short list for R2 along with cushenberry, you could even pair those 2 up with R2 picks and have our OL set for Lamar’s entire rookie deal.

but all in all, my favorite option is one that isn’t unrealistic, add a game changer for this team on each side of the ball by picking at 28 and trading back up to pick on the opposite side of the ball, for instance, mims at 28 and then epenesa or queen or Baun after a trade up. Just take a potential superstar at a sexy position for each side of the ball early