• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
A9EC3E35-F40A-46F6-8E92-BBF5E75F46A1.png

This kinda thing is what I hope to see come draft day. We get slam dunk talents on offense to change the complexion of this offense for the next 4 years and blow our super bowl window WIDE open.

Face it, this defense is built on 3 principles, stop the run, force the pass, let the secondary win the game, and it works, so the more I think about it, the less I feel the need to go defense early, if the value is there then take it, but there’s no defender I’m taking over mims, and I know y’all don’t like a RB early but Jonathan Taylor is different and at 55 there is no better value, health willing he’s a guaranteed stud for at least 3 years before the mileage begins to show, and that’s what we need, we will never hit a speed bump again by Mark Ingram being banged up at his age and frankly he’s probably gonna be better for 2-3 years than we ever could’ve hoped from Ingram, on this team Taylor is a potential all pro. Robert Hunt and Damien Lewis transforms the OL entirely, they’re both day one starters on the inside and add to that identity on offense, those 2 really clear up a huge concern on the team and make a weakness into a strength. Then the rest is just value, with Markus bailey being the one need pick(bailey is a guy I like btw). Oh and highsmith is very much in the mold of a rusher we love, he’s an absolute freak with a good bit of push and power and an insane motor and incredible burst; he should be a welcomed addition to this scheme

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im imagining The ravens going:
1) Murray
2) Raequan Davis ( Davis might be the best run defender...certaily at 5 tech he kicks butt. He also flashes dominance inside at nose...very quick strong hands to control. He's inconsistently great though...sometimes he's just "good enough" and I would love to know more about him. How much he loves, knows, wants football.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
1) Murray
2) Raequan Davis ( Davis might be the best run defender...certaily at 5 tech he kicks butt. He also flashes dominance inside at nose...very quick strong hands to control. He's inconsistently great though...sometimes he's just "good enough" and I would love to know more about him. How much he loves, knows, wants football.
I'm starting ti get around Murray at 28 but if we take Davis in the second I'll drink myself out of this pain.

LSURavenFan

Veteran
Murray and Queen seem to be generating a lot of buzz of late. I’m thinking neither will be available at 28. Good news for those that were hoping EDC looks elsewhere at 28th.

Baun or Epenesa?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Murray and Queen seem to be generating a lot of buzz of late. I’m thinking neither will be available at 28. Good news for those that were hoping EDC looks elsewhere at 28th.

Baun or Epenesa?

Coin flip. Rock,paper,scissors. Dice roll. Either one of those two would add a whole shitload of flexibility to our defense. Baun as a base 3-4 or lining up on the edge in smaller formations and plays damn good coverage. Epenesa can line up anywhere on the line from wide 7 tech to on the nose in smaller formations. Both are solid not spectacular against the run. The best interview wins. :defense:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
1) Murray

raequan davis is a guy who's going to be a great DL in the run game but offers right now very little against the pass and in the 2nd round that's hard to stomach even for the ravens who love defending the run

im seeing everyone say its going to be murray and i feel myself being worn down but im going to hold strong and say it doesnt happen

rossihunter2

Staff Member
there's positions where the talent is so deep or is pretty sparse at the top but overall this draft is really really deep

i keep finding myself adjusting the guys graded between 60 and 105 all the time - a guy will seem too low so ill move him up and then another guy will seem too low so ill move him up and 3 days later everyone will be back where they were when i started adjusting and i still wont be happy

there are lots of guys who i like as 3rd round picks who are ranked on my board in spots that would indicate they are likely to be available on day 3 because there's too many of them to fit into day 2 (unless the NFL teams are literally drafting off my board which would be wild because that top 105 only includes 2 QBs and 2 TEs (which means i have undervalued a fair few for positional reasons at both positions)

Old Bay

Veteran
I just completed a two weeks long draft on another message board. I had the Ravens.

1.28 Denzel Mims - WR - Baylor
2.55 Neville Gallimore - DL - Oklahoma
2.60 Clyde Edwards-Helaire - RB - LSU
3.92 Troy Dye - LB - Oregon
3.106 Damien Lewis - OG - LSU
4.129 Amik Robertson - CB - LA Tech
4.143 Tyre Phillips - OL - Mississippi State
5.183 Dalton Keene - TE - Virginia Tech
7.225 Kenny Robinson, Jr. - S - XFL
7.238 Trevon Hill - EDGE - Miami

* #170 traded to NYG for #183 & #238

If I could do this again, I would try taking an offensive lineman like Ruiz in the first and then look to wide receiver in the second. I was offered the 29th overall pick for both of my second round picks. It was pretty close on the value chart, but I'm not sure this is one of the best years to trade up from the second or third rounds. Lots of good value in the first three rounds. Pretty amazing just how deep this draft is.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Jacquouille
@rossihunter2

Raequan's lack of pass rush doesn't concern me as much as something thats hard for me to be sure Im seeing but it strikes me infield as an inconsistent passion...whicj is really nebulous I know.
Here is why I think the Ravens might take him along with Murray (although I have a different linebacker in mind):

OZ and mid zone runs for starters; Cleveland, Kansas City, San Fran, and Tennessee all had success running the football,(actually, we were not good at stopping the run at all last year. It was consistent and embarrassing by Ravens standards).

The Ravens see Murray as someone who can shoot and penetrate against stretch and that can chase down plays outside. he doesn't show that he knows how to hit and shed in space so they have to keep him clean.

Davis is a monster in the run game. And not just at 5T. A guy that good against the run in the 2nd round is pretty good value to me. This pains me to say because I love Ruiz but Saban matched him up at nose all game vs. Michigan. Its a war but Ruiz absolutely had his hands full...struggled with stuff he's normally great at. Davis beats him pretty regularly with hands first and was often able to control Ruiz and penetrate/shed...in the run nd pass game. (I saw Davis matched only twice against Cushenberry with similar results....Threw him to the ground off a combination and push pulled him. What I am saying is that Saban didn't want Ruiz mauling his typical nose and Michigan imposing the run game on them and he saw Davis as a better bet inside against a dominant run blocker.

For whatever reason, there is a sense I get that his head might not be straight...could be wrong about that.

My preference if we took him would be, Baun/Epenesa early and Davis - gaither at will along with Davis in round two.

It wasn't just our pass rush that was anemic. our run defense needs major sureing up. he's a great 5T with versatility and again, if his heads straight and based on what I saw vs. Michigan, I'll take 1 of him for 2 Brandon Williams at NT

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Can you guys see another 2018 scenario where we take someone like Epenesa or Mims at 28 then trade back into the 1st or early 2nd with our capital and taking the other one we didn’t select?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Can you guys see another 2018 scenario where we take someone like Epenesa or Mims at 28 then trade back into the 1st or early 2nd with our capital and taking the other one we didn’t select?
yes it's possible, but I'm not so sure we would do it. It's not like we are trading for a QB.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
yes it's possible, but I'm not so sure we would do it. It's not like we are trading for a QB.
True, but if we have multiple guys left that we’ve placed high on our board and are available at 28, I would hope we do this. Getting a stud rookie pass rusher to rotate in and another WR for Lamar to grow with would be insane for the team

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
as a wr would you even wanna play for the ravens? Theyre gonna have to be willing, no matter how great they is to avg 50 catches per year for the next 5yrs hurting their chances and getting a big contract 2nd time around..or maybe even not being able to showcase their full potential. I hope we dont draft anyone with bad personality traits

Reactions: cdp

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
how awesome would it be if we had ANOTHER 2nd round pick but early. I hate that gap between our 1st and our next pick 55. We'll be tearing our hairs out of our head ( sorry if you're balding/bald) at the guys we'd be wanting big time between those picks.