• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
D6527498-F718-4144-A861-1B54D83C78E1.png

pls

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The more we discuss the more I like the thought of trading up from our 2, but only if we land the right player at 28.

if mims, epenesa, and Ruiz are off the board at 28, we need to trade back, there’s simply no player worth it, if we can move back say to somewhere in the 30s and pick up an early 3 it would be ideal. Tee Higgins isn’t a guy I necessarily value but if we could land him after a hefty trade back I’d be ecstatic, then you have Malik Harrison who’s become a favorite of mine, I still for some reason have a liking for josh uche, and that’s a pairing I wouldn’t hate because they’re great complements of contrasting styles that have their place on the field together, then there’s the strong DL class in the 30s-40s, Robert Hunt needs to be on our short list for R2 along with cushenberry, you could even pair those 2 up with R2 picks and have our OL set for Lamar’s entire rookie deal.

but all in all, my favorite option is one that isn’t unrealistic, add a game changer for this team on each side of the ball by picking at 28 and trading back up to pick on the opposite side of the ball, for instance, mims at 28 and then epenesa or queen or Baun after a trade up. Just take a potential superstar at a sexy position for each side of the ball early
Tbh im still a fan of reagor.. if we can trade back like you say ans grab him. Id be cool with that..

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
A mock doesn't mean we are going to draft him. It used to be these mocks would just say we are going to draft 'bama players due to Ozzie's connection. Now they are doing the same thing with Sooners.
Walterfootball did that, consensus from other outlets have been scary accurate on the ravens picks.

Jimmy/Torrey, Upshaw, Elam, mosley, perriman, Humphrey, hurst/Lamar, and hollywood, were all some of the most popular picks for us, like it’s possible that all of those picks were the consensus among the media by the time the draft rolled around. Seems like Stanley was the only R1 pick that wasn’t consensus and that probably only happened because Ramsey and boss went before us because those were the consensus mocks to us.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we draft Murray i dont want to hear anything positive about him aside from

he's a great athlete and nothing else.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think the 3rd round is full of talent and i think the top of the 2nd round is full of talent but i think the difference between the 45th player and the 85th player on my board is not that big - there's a long list of players i really like in the 1st round and it's likely at least 7 or 8 of them fall into the 2nd round but i dont expect that fall to make it to 55

there's a short list of players i like in the 2nd round and i dont expect any to make it to 92

there's a huge list of players i like in the 3rd round and i fully expect enough to be available that we still take 3rd round talents in the 4th round

the thing about the 1st round is it might be we dont end up with a WR or an EDGE but i think we end up with a major talent but it might be DL or S or LB as much as it might be EDGE or WR or IOL - i dont think it would be CB but there'll be some highly talented CBs although id recommend any CB needy team to trade down into the 2nd round because there's about 6 of them i love between 27th and 47th on my board

That's why I think it might be beneficial to have multiple high 2nds. CB would also be fine, but I don't know if another CB really helps us right now. Edge and WR aside from OT and QBs (& maybe CBs) are the position groups I consider drafting in the 1st because they're so much cheaper than a high profile elite veteran i.e. only paying 2-7M instead of 15-20m (assuming they can play nearly as good as the veteran is)
The WR's I like in the 1st are Jefferson, Mims, Ruggs, Jeudy and Lamb. I assume they are all gone once we're on the clock (but there's still a chance, who knows). Edge I have Chaisson. (I left out Young)
DL, honestly I don't see anyone. Elliott and Madubuike are targets for the 2nd round.
LBs: there's only Queen and Murray. I'm not expecting Queen to fall to #28, after last year where I was surprised to see White in the top5.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

he's a great athlete and would be a better will than a mike. He's not good in zone coverage, but has shown his leadership abilities.

I hope we avoid him, but it's not all negative on him either.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
he's a great athlete and would be a better will than a mike. He's not good in zone coverage, but has shown his leadership abilities.

The only thing decent about him is his man coverage ability and blitzing. He can't shed to save his life and takes awful angles because he's clueless about what's going on in the run game. Hi Zone coverage and rush D is absolute shit.

Who the hell created first round buzz on this guy from the get go?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The only thing decent about him is his man coverage ability and blitzing. He can't shed to save his life and takes awful angles because he's clueless about what's going on in the run game. Hi Zone coverage and rush D is absolute shit.

the media, I'm sure.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

He’s a great blitzer, I’ll give him that, and coincidentally that lines up well with our defense. He’s essentially peanut.

1 of 2 things will happen, the ravens revolutionize the LB position and turn MLB into primarily a pass rusher and Murray does well at that, or they try to make him a regular MLB and he completely fails. There’s no in between

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Man coverage is a stretch too, the only man coverage he’s really shown well is sticking the RB on flat routes

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

I'll say he's a much more explosive version of Peanut. Fast, agressive and good when the play is in front of him. The rest is definitely not good, although he is described as a great worker.

Man coverage is a stretch too, the only man coverage he’s really shown well is sticking the RB on flat routes
I've seen him shadow TE really well on occasions. He just hasn't asked to do that a lot. I'm pretty sure we only run zone for our LB anyway.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
A mock doesn't mean we are going to draft him. It used to be these mocks would just say we are going to draft 'bama players due to Ozzie's connection. Now they are doing the same thing with Sooners.
I was saying that i havent seen reagor going in the first in mocks

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Absolutely, there’s a sharp drop off probably in the 40s, where that post drop-off crop of players can be fairly even in talent level all the way until Somewhere in the early-mid 4th.

For instance if we miss out on a wr in 1, you have a guy like Brandon aiyuk in 2, who really shouldn’t be regarded much higher than a kj hill, van jefferson, quartney davis, James proche, Devin duvernay, or Isaiah hodgins, most of whom are gonna be going somewhere on day 3.

see brandon aiyuk for me is one of the WRs who i think is worthy of a top 40 type pick but your point is generally well made - the player you might get at 55 (unless someone falls) is not going to be too far off what you might find late 3 or early 4 vs what you'd get early 2/late 1

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The more we discuss the more I like the thought of trading up from our 2, but only if we land the right player at 28.

if mims, epenesa, and Ruiz are off the board at 28, we need to trade back, there’s simply no player worth it, if we can move back say to somewhere in the 30s and pick up an early 3 it would be ideal. Tee Higgins isn’t a guy I necessarily value but if we could land him after a hefty trade back I’d be ecstatic, then you have Malik Harrison who’s become a favorite of mine, I still for some reason have a liking for josh uche, and that’s a pairing I wouldn’t hate because they’re great complements of contrasting styles that have their place on the field together, then there’s the strong DL class in the 30s-40s, Robert Hunt needs to be on our short list for R2 along with cushenberry, you could even pair those 2 up with R2 picks and have our OL set for Lamar’s entire rookie deal.

but all in all, my favorite option is one that isn’t unrealistic, add a game changer for this team on each side of the ball by picking at 28 and trading back up to pick on the opposite side of the ball, for instance, mims at 28 and then epenesa or queen or Baun after a trade up. Just take a potential superstar at a sexy position for each side of the ball early

a falling DL getting to 55 or 60 would be an amazing value pickup - those 5 guys after kinlaw and brown are really high quality prospects but they could fall because of the ease that teams can find quality DL - if Madubuike, Gallimore or Elliott fall to 55/66 they would be great pickups - I like madubuike the best (enough to think of him as a top 20 player) but appreciate that Blacklock and Davidson are less likely to fall that far

Robert Hunt should absolutely be high on our board especially when we get into the 2nd round (i have him as a top 40 prospect)

ultimately though i agree with you - those 3 guys are players ive earmarked at 28 and if its not them then we probably should trade down unless someone crazy has fallen - but the 3 youve listed (epenesa, ruiz and mims) are perfect fits here