• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i think gladney's a top 28 player in the draft on the ravens board - i'd be surprised if he was BPA when we pick and I'd be surprised if we picked a CB that early - id also be surprised if we didnt pick a corner by the end of round 4 but the front office has messaging has all been about finding instant impact players in year 1 of their rookie deals and a corner is unlikely to be playing year 1 unless they're a superstar because of Marlon and Peters and Tavon and Jimmy

that being said if gladney was somehow still there at 55 i think it would be a great pickup because i love the player and that's a major BPA pick there - but in round 1 i think we're looking for instant coffee at a position where the player will clearly have the opportunity to get on the field early and where we can envision that - front 7, WR, OL
two bad we don't have 10 picks in each of the first 3 rounds

Simba

Staff Member
Cushenberry's a wildcard in this draft - i dont have any gauge on how high the league sees him

I agree. Back in like January, I was thinking he'd be a nice mid round pick. With the interior OL class, I think some teams could have him rated a lot higher than he would be in a normal draft. I still like him but have absolutely no idea where to put him.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ive done a few pick by pick mocks of the 1st round, factoring in the needs of the other clubs.

I don’t see a WR as being in the cards at 28.

Dallas, Miami and Philadelphia are threats to take Ruiz. I doubt he’s on the board past 21.

For the Queen and Murray fans, best case for you is 1 of them is available. Philly, NE and New Orleans may take them.

If EDC elects to stand pat at 28, I feel at least 1 of Epenesa, Gross-Matos, Baun or maybe even Chiasson will be available. Davidson, Blacklock or Madubuike also could be options
I don't think any of the wr is going to be available as well as Queen and Chaisson. Ruiz won't make it past the Cowboys.
That's why I'm leaning towards drafting a CB or a versatile OT

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree. Back in like January, I was thinking he'd be a nice mid round pick. With the interior OL class, I think some teams could have him rated a lot higher than he would be in a normal draft. I still like him but have absolutely no idea where to put him.

for me he's a top 40 prospect (partly because of the senior bowl - damien lewis was positively impacted by that week too) but i dont know if the league sees him as highly as i do

JO_75

Hall of Famer
On this day in NFL Draft history... the Saints traded their entire 1999 Draft plus 1st & 3rds in the 2000 Draft for..... Ricky Williams.

The Bengals who picked third overall, turned this exact offer down in order to draft.... Akili Smith.

Ok Cincy... take a mega deal like this and turn down Joe for Herbert or Tua lol.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think it’s way premature to say that isn’t something Eric would do for a few reasons

1. We haven’t seen Eric running the show on his own but one time, the sample size isn’t there to say we truly know what he would do
2. Since Eric has been a shot caller for us, we haven’t been in a position where we have had a transcendent player essentially carrying the team, we are in an entirely different position than we’ve ever been
3. We’ve been so traditional scheme wise for so long, now we are the exact opposite, and thus our team building shouldn’t be expected to be traditional either.
4. Touching back on #2, we have a transcendent player carrying the franchise, what better way to ensure success than to make his job easier by locking down a long term elite talent to grow with him.

I’d be more tempted to say moving up to around 20 for mims would be the wiser move, but then again as much as we love Mims, nobody is as much a slam dunk guarantee than the big 3, I drool over the thought of ceedee lamb getting the targets that Seth Roberts was getting and getting ten times the workload and absolutely dominating, and the same with jeudy embarrassing coverage and getting open on the first step, and same with Henry ruggs giving us a chiefs like duo to complement the greatest and most complex running game in the history of the league.

there really isn’t another draft strategy that has me more excited, I’d gladly take 1 pick in each round to get lamb or jeudy or ruggs over having 5 picks in the first 3

I've said that exact thing before. I can't agree any more strongly. I will take Ceedee Lamb and 1 other pick in every round 10 out of 10 times.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Can I ask what the fuck is going on with some of these media mocks that have Jeudy falling to 21? I've seen like 3 different ones do that. That's insane right?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens met with Ross Blacklock, Raekwon Davis and CB James Pierre.

Blacklock is a prospect I really like. Love the idea of landing him,particularly in the second round. Would be tremendous value and a real Ravens bully d lineman

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
On this day in NFL Draft history... the Saints traded their entire 1999 Draft plus 1st & 3rds in the 2000 Draft for..... Ricky Williams.

The Bengals who picked third overall, turned this exact offer down in order to draft.... Akili Smith.

Ok Cincy... take a mega deal like this and turn down Joe for Herbert or Tua lol.
If only they had your intelligence they wouldn't be the Bungles now would they??

JO_75

Hall of Famer
If a team has more than 1 technical issue, I say we put them on Autodraft for the remainder of the Draft.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Ravens met with Ross Blacklock, Raekwon Davis and CB James Pierre.

Blacklock is a prospect I really like. Love the idea of landing him,particularly in the second round. Would be tremendous value and a real Ravens bully d lineman
That just sounds like someone with a bully mentality.

Tyler

Practice Squad
Anybody see EDC on NFL Live? He was showing ESPN his draft setup, and low and behold the tape he was watching had an OU endzone though by the midfield graphics it looked like the peach bowl. So that factors in LSU as well. Either way the ultimate troll job by EDC haha

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
For what it's worth DJ said of EDC at 28 that he would rank the three trading scenarios in this order:

most likely: trading down
next most likely: staying at 28
least likely: moving up
Im really hoping we trade back up in early 2nd if someone falls
I think the most likely scenario is that we stay put at 28 and move around on Day 2 and follow the board. Either go up and get our guy or fall back and wait. I think trading up to the top of the 2nd round could see some huge value. A guy like Zach Baun or Aiyuk would be huge for us on top of whoever we get in rd 1.

Decosta knows he has to be aggressive and get plug and play guys and theres a ton of them that you can get on day 2.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think if we stay we'll see Baun, Davidson, possibly Gross matos there. Cushenberry would be interesting to me as well. Chaisson and Epenesa would be really enticing to go and get,
I still maintain that if we come out of the first round without Murray or Queen, it won't be for a lack of trying.
Even with all their flaws I still see Murray and Queen as plug and play LBs next season, no matter where they end up, they will produce. I just think they'd thrive in our scheme with our DTs and Winks blitzes. It fits their skill sets perfectly