• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ya know what... I’m just gonna say it, I say it reluctantly, but here it goes...

If we took Murray at 28, I won’t be mad that we took him. I might be mad that we take him over other players, he’s FAR from my guy, or even one of my guys, but if we pulled that trigger, I’d basically embrace the ceiling. He does so much in the run game that just pisses me off, and he does shit in zone coverage that just has me wondering wtf he’s trying to do, and sometimes he takes an angle that makes me wanna turn off the film, but goddamn if he won’t follow up these boneheaded plays with some seriously impressive shit.

is Murray flawed? Absolutely. Is he a product of overanalysis by us because we so often see him mocked to us? Quite possibly. Are there better prospects at 28? That’s a guarantee. But could we do worse than this super exciting athletic freak with a motor and Intensity like none other? Yep.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Ya know what... I’m just gonna say it, I say it reluctantly, but here it goes...

If we took Murray at 28, I won’t be mad that we took him. I might be mad that we take him over other players, he’s FAR from my guy, or even one of my guys, but if we pulled that trigger, I’d basically embrace the ceiling. He does so much in the run game that just pisses me off, and he does shit in zone coverage that just has me wondering wtf he’s trying to do, and sometimes he takes an angle that makes me wanna turn off the film, but goddamn if he won’t follow up these boneheaded plays with some seriously impressive shit.

is Murray flawed? Absolutely. Is he a product of overanalysis by us because we so often see him mocked to us? Quite possibly. Are there better prospects at 28? That’s a guarantee. But could we do worse than this super exciting athletic freak with a motor and Intensity like none other? Yep.
As a prospect he's Darius Leonard in my book. Leonard was very flawed too as a prospect and look at him now with a team that embraces his skillset.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
As a prospect he's Darius Leonard in my book. Leonard was very flawed too as a prospect and look at him now with a team that embraces his skillset.
I’ll admit I watched almost none of Leonard, I think I watched one game and he didn’t move the needle for me so I just moved on lol. I’m guilty of that sometimes

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
thinking in terms of trading back - i know some of y'all are in on the whole trading up for a star type deal

but if we combined a 1st round trade back with a 3rd round trade up - there's a very realistic way we could end up with 4 2nd round picks - and that would be absurdly exciting

Having 4 2nd round picks would be great, but we better hit on them.

Another thing to consider is that we could trade with Miami at 18 if a top WR was on the board, like Ruggs. We could swap our 1st round picks and also swap our 92nd pick for MIA's 5th round pick. I'm going to be EDC's statement that he wants the offense to be indefensible.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just as an FYI - just like last year we'll put the "gameday" thread for this year's draft in the Ravens Talk section - but if you forget it's fine because again, just like last year, I'll leave a re-direct from this section to the actual gameday thread link - that will all probably get posted tomorrow (Monday) for our normal 3 day run-up

with regards to rules on broadcast night(s) I expect them to be similar to previous (below is what i'm proposing):

• There are NO SPOILERS in this thread before the broadcast catches up
  • (we realise that insiders sometimes drop the picks before they are shown on the broadcast and request posters to abstain from posting that information in this thread on draft night until after the pick has been broadcast)
  • We will operate a 1 strike and your out policy during broadcast - an initial verbal warning and deletion of post followed by a suspension for any further spoilers - suspensions could potentially last for the rest of the draft
  • The no spoilers rule applies to days 1 and 2 of the draft - if you are not interested in the broadcast you are free to post spoilers elsewhere in the forum but not on this gameday thread
  • This rule does not apply on day 3 because of how behind the broadcast runs but as always please be considerate of your fellow posters

- if anyone in the US knows the tv details and timings if they could post them below that would be really useful for me

likewise if anyone has any issues with what's proposed in the gameday thread then now's your chance

- any rules you'd like added, any rules you'd like amended or anything else - please let me know ASAP - once I make the thread, nothing will likely change afterwards

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

I mean, I get it. But let some other team draft him before us, you'd be PRAISING the football gods lol. Don't lie.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean, I get it. But let some other team draft him before us, you'd be PRAISING the football gods lol. Don't lie.
Oh I would, save us from ourselves because I’m 100% certain there will be better prospects at 28. If we passed on a mims, epenesa, Ruiz, or Queen for him I’d be livid about missing those players but I’d still be like meh, Murray is at least exciting.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really have this feeling, unfortunately, that this year our board and the patriots board are going to look very similar - and the guys we really like are also going to be the guys they really like - just from a scheme standpoint (at least on defence)

and to me it makes them a huge threat to whoever we like on the board with them picking at 23 - AJ Epenesa stands out as a guy who I think New England would love who might also be high up on our board - if we're trading up for a defensive player, I think we're going up to 22 if we go up at all for a defensive player

who knows how high we'd have to go to trade up for an offensive player though... might have to go all the way up to the jags at 20 (which makes it far less likely we do something like that)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Oh I would, save us from ourselves because I’m 100% certain there will be better prospects at 28. If we passed on a mims, epenesa, Ruiz, or Queen for him I’d be livid about missing those players but I’d still be like meh, Murray is at least exciting.

haha - the relief I'll feel if/when the raiders or broncos take Kenneth Murray in the 1st round will be insane

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Talking myself into Uche in the 2nd round. Probably give a 4th to go get him in need be.

"has some serious questions about how how projects to the next level though. As a defensive end, he lacks the height, bulk and strength to hold up on every play. When he fails to get a step on the tackle off the snap, he is a non factor in the play. His size is more suited for an outside linebacker, but he is still short for that spot, and does not have the experience playing off the line.
He was invisible during the Senior Bowl, but still has time to improve his stock. With the value on edge rushers in todays game, he should hear his name called in the third round somewhere, but could fall to the early second day."

This is a scouting report for Elvis Dumervil pre draft 2006. Now, I am not saying his sack production will be like Dumervil's. But the Ravens don't necessarily need 15 sacks a year from him. They need heat off the edge for starters. He brings that and he has upper level bend and flat that you can't teach...like Dumervil. He also shows ability to get under a guys pads and drive him...and this to me is key....while running his feet. If you pair him with the pocket being compressed inside and give him some time...you might get 12 -15 sacks out of him.

To take the Dumervil comp further: Dumervil was not a run defender and he was nowhere near the zone coverage guy that Uche is. Uche is more versatile with upside as a run defender. It boils down a little to pairing and to usage.

Ill add this...I like him better than Bowser out of college by a mile coming off the edge, he's more consistory physical and hard hitting, and hell get bigger/stronger. I think his size and skill set lend themselves well to him being a SAM backer here a year from now (additionally, this is a big need a year from now) if he can bulk up a little. (6'2" 249 currently)

He's floor to me is a better bowser and his ceiling is a more versatile and position less Elvis Dumervil.
Watch him here snatch, lock out and rip to clear blocker and set edge...force runner inside and clean up.

uche .gif

uche 5.gif

crazy electric get off to beat TE off left side. You bring this off the edge and somebody better be hurrying to make sure he doesn't beat them. A lot of hay to be made with B gap pressure.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Talking myself into Uche in the 2nd round. Probably give a 4th to go get him in need be.

"has some serious questions about how how projects to the next level though. As a defensive end, he lacks the height, bulk and strength to hold up on every play. When he fails to get a step on the tackle off the snap, he is a non factor in the play. His size is more suited for an outside linebacker, but he is still short for that spot, and does not have the experience playing off the line.
He was invisible during the Senior Bowl, but still has time to improve his stock. With the value on edge rushers in todays game, he should hear his name called in the third round somewhere, but could fall to the early second day."

This is a scouting report for Elvis Dumervil pre draft 2006. Now, I am not saying his sack production will be like Dumervil's. But the Ravens don't necessarily need 15 sacks a year from him. They need heat off the edge for starters. He brings that and he has upper level bend and flat that you can't teach...like Dumervil. He also shows ability to get under a guys pads and drive him...and this to me is key....while running his feet. If you pair him with the pocket being compressed inside and give him some time...you might get 12 -15 sacks out of him.

To take the Dumervil comp further: Dumervil was not a run defender and he was nowhere near the zone coverage guy that Uche is. Uche is more versatile with upside as a run defender. It boils down a little to pairing and to usage.

Ill add this...I like him better than Bowser out of college by a mile coming off the edge, he's more consistory physical and hard hitting, and hell get bigger/stronger. I think his size and skill set lend themselves well to him being a SAM backer here a year from now (additionally, this is a big need a year from now) if he can bulk up a little. (6'2" 249 currently)

He's floor to me is a better bowser and his ceiling is a more versatile and position less Elvis Dumervil.
Watch him here snatch, lock out and rip to clear blocker and set edge...force runner inside and clean up.

View attachment 2287

View attachment 2288

crazy electric get off to beat TE off left side. You bring this off the edge and somebody better be hurrying to make sure he doesn't beat them. A lot of hay to be made with B gap pressure.

that 2nd clip is probably the most encouraging snap with regards to Uche on all the tape - so much of what i've seen of him tells me he's not great at getting into half a man - and i know it's a tight end but to see him engage and get through the arc of the rush despite contact is the most exciting thing for me when thinking about him as a pass rusher

what matt patricia said at the senior bowl to/about jason strowbridge has been i think one of the best evaluative tools ive ever had gifted to me - and i'll paraphrase: every successful NFL pass rush is a power rush in some fashion - it doesnt matter if your primary tool is your speed, you have to be able to deal with contact because in the NFL unless you're Von Miller, the tackle is likely going to get hands on you no matter how fast you are - it's about how you take on or beat that contact - even speed rushers have to have the core power and ankle flexion (and bend) to be able to deal with that contact on their speed rushes whereas in college you can win with pure speed

and with Uche, that has been my biggest question for him as an EDGE the whole way through the process - how does he deal with contact and can he play with power - and I have to say - until recently, much of my evaluation of him has been heavily impacted by seeing him consistently struggle with contact at the senior bowl

but clips like the 2 you've shown are really promising in that regard

In terms of thinking about Bowser - I think he's a far more natural pass rusher than Bowser was coming out but I can't help but feel burned by that sort of player post-correa and now bowser and both their inabilities to get on the field (bowser has found himself a niche but it's not what we expected of him when he was drafted)

i do, though, for sure, find those 2 gifs incredibly comforting