• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
yeah saw that - that's about as bad as it could have possibly been - we'll tender him but we might not even have to tender him with a 2nd round designation - and he might not even be able to play next season who knows... i could definitely see him starting the year on PUP
he is walking without crutches as of today

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Who wants to make sure Derrick Brown fails a Drug Test at the Combine and falls to 28? We need the best lineman on the board at 28, whether offensive lineman or defensive lineman. We need a JJ Watt type of guy badly.
anyone live in Indy?

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
More and more, the right move seems to be to trade out of the first round entirely, potentially trade down again, take BPA (at EDGE or WR), then trade up. Multiple picks in the second round would be extremely helpful in a class built like this.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
More and more, the right move seems to be to trade out of the first round entirely, potentially trade down again, take BPA (at EDGE or WR), then trade up. Multiple picks in the second round would be extremely helpful in a class built like this.

as always it depends on who's available when we get to that spot - the last 2 years it was always clear to me that trading down was the right option - that trend may continue as we look to put ourselves into optimum position for a select group of players - it also depends on where we see the drop off in talent and if there's no one worth the pick when we get there then we'll trade back if we can

this is me being stupid - but also important to note - when was the last time we nailed a 2nd round pick? when was the last time we even hit on one? KO in 2012?

we didnt have one in 2019, we traded it away in 2018, tyus bowser in 2017, kamalei correa in 2016, maxx williams in 2015, timmy jernigan in 2014, arthur brown in 2013, upshaw in 2012 as well as kelechi (who probably breaks the bad streak)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
as always it depends on who's available when we get to that spot - the last 2 years it was always clear to me that trading down was the right option - that trend may continue as we look to put ourselves into optimum position for a select group of players - it also depends on where we see the drop off in talent and if there's no one worth the pick when we get there then we'll trade back if we can

this is me being stupid - but also important to note - when was the last time we nailed a 2nd round pick? when was the last time we even hit on one? KO in 2012?

we didnt have one in 2019, we traded it away in 2018, tyus bowser in 2017, kamalei correa in 2016, maxx williams in 2015, timmy jernigan in 2014, arthur brown in 2013, upshaw in 2012 as well as kelechi (who probably breaks the bad streak)
although not technically a 2nd round pick, we used our 2nd round pick in both 2018 and 19 to land LJ, so that was the 2nd round pick in both years. lol

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
My general draft thought - and I don't think it will change before the draft - we'd be absolutely crazy to pass on Denzel Mims. Just can't see better player available at #28, if he actually is available there. Not to mention amazing fit.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My general draft thought - and I don't think it will change before the draft - we'd be absolutely crazy to pass on Denzel Mims. Just can't see better player available at #28, if he actually is available there. Not to mention amazing fit.

he's certainly one of the most exciting prospects outside of that first bunch - i think he may well be available if we were to trade down too - or at least he'd be in a group of players who we'd be comfortable trading back and getting one of - in terms of value it looks like the end of the 1st and beginning of the 2nd (maybe even all the way to the middle of the 2nd) are going to be relatively comparable in value and teams always want to trade up for that 5th year option - but he would certainly be a reasonable target if we traded back a bit - not sure if im comfortable yet with him as the 28th pick but ive still got a fair few positional groups to go before i start assembling all the players onto one board and my position might change by then

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
he's certainly one of the most exciting prospects outside of that first bunch - i think he may well be available if we were to trade down too - or at least he'd be in a group of players who we'd be comfortable trading back and getting one of - in terms of value it looks like the end of the 1st and beginning of the 2nd (maybe even all the way to the middle of the 2nd) are going to be relatively comparable in value and teams always want to trade up for that 5th year option - but he would certainly be a reasonable target if we traded back a bit - not sure if im comfortable yet with him as the 28th pick but ive still got a fair few positional groups to go before i start assembling all the players onto one board and my position might change by then
With him, I see Lamar's completion rate going up few notches again, with the way he likes to throw low risk pass, little bit high or little bit away. Mims snatches all that stuff regularly. Even when he doesn't separate much, any ball in the vicinity is his. Adjustment on the ball is unbelievable, he can't be bullied at LoS, not afraid to go over the middle, breaks every half-assed tackle. He is classic WR1 in my view. And a very good WR1 a that. I can't imagine finding a better value if we trade down.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With him, I see Lamar's completion rate going up few notches again, with the way he likes to throw low risk pass, little bit high or little bit away. Mims snatches all that stuff regularly. Even when he doesn't separate much, any ball in the vicinity is his. Adjustment on the ball is unbelievable, he can't be bullied at LoS, not afraid to go over the middle, breaks every half-assed tackle. He is classic WR1 in my view. And a very good WR1 a that. I can't imagine finding a better value if we trade down.

oh i agree with you - was suggesting we'd still be able to get him after trading back

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure one of Lamar's working points is to improve his accuracy on his outside throws. If his accuracy improves here than that will give him a few more tics in accuracy completion percentage. The way Lamar works, I'd be more surprised if his accuracy didn't improve on these throws.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm sure one of Lamar's working points is to improve his accuracy on his outside throws. If his accuracy improves here than that will give him a few more tics in accuracy completion percentage. The way Lamar works, I'd be more surprised if his accuracy didn't improve on these throws.
He also needs a guy to throw to outside the numbers consistently.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He also needs a guy to throw to outside the numbers consistently.

seth roberts was really the only guy who ever worked those kinds of routes for us with any kind of impact which is not great given that he spent 80% of his 2018 snaps in the slot yet was our 2nd outside receiver after hollywood - this year he had less than 5% of his snaps in the slot - now part of that is because we like our receivers blocking on the outside but also its about the types of routes we asked him to run

we desperately need a 2nd outside receiver - even if just to allow hollywood to play in the slot a little and move pieces around

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I love Denzel mims but 28 Is too early. I have concerns with him that knock him from a top ten type talent to legitimate mid to late 2nd.

1. he will have a massive learning curve with press coverage, he doesn’t have the top end speed to scare dbs out of it and doesn’t have the foot quickness either, but most importantly he leaves way too much of himself exposed to it, he is completely upright with his chest totally uncovered and he will never get off the LoS like that in the nfl

2. he NEVER seems to have separation, I always worry when a players entire highlight reel consists of contested catches and next to no open plays.