• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Against a vanilla offense he caught 11 balls mostly against players who didn’t make a roster. Let’s see him beat press coverage and fight for the ball in a real game. Not saying he can’t do it, just don’t see him being very successful.
Yeah, one sort of meaningful snap he had in 1st pre season game went straight through his hands.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Based on what? Every issue he had in previous years, he seemed to have demonstrably gotten over this preseason. His was actually running real routes, he was catching using his hands and so he just looked better than everyone else he was on the field with.

He still wasn’t running routes well enough to create separation going deep which is crazy given that he should be the fastest player on the field - he doesn’t fight for the football, he still has his weird catching technique and still lets the ball hit his chest too often

So he had more production this offseason than any other - but I honestly think he looked like a better player in his 2nd year

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
He still wasn’t running routes well enough to create separation going deep which is crazy given that he should be the fastest player on the field - he doesn’t fight for the football, he still has his weird catching technique and still lets the ball hit his chest too often

So he had more production this offseason than any other - but I honestly think he looked like a better player in his 2nd year

The only ball I remember him using his chest to catch was the one where it was the only way yo catch it and the announcers were being silly harping on it.

Also the things he did better, it would not matter qhat kind of offense it was or who he was going against. His form while catching the ball was actually good, now as Crabtree showed (and Hurst) the occasional drop will happen even with good form, but your form is the same regardless of who you go against.

The other thing with his routes is that getting open was never his problem, if you ever watched himlast year he was constantly getting open against actual NFL DBs, the problem with his routes were just that he would always go to the wrong spot so you couldn't reliably throw it to him on any timing because he might cut 5 yards too early or too late. Again that is the sort of thing that you can see regardless of who you line up against.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The only ball I remember him using his chest to catch was the one where it was the only way yo catch it and the announcers were being silly harping on it.

Also the things he did better, it would not matter qhat kind of offense it was or who he was going against. His form while catching the ball was actually good, now as Crabtree showed (and Hurst) the occasional drop will happen even with good form, but your form is the same regardless of who you go against.

The other thing with his routes is that getting open was never his problem, if you ever watched himlast year he was constantly getting open against actual NFL DBs, the problem with his routes were just that he would always go to the wrong spot so you couldn't reliably throw it to him on any timing because he might cut 5 yards too early or too late. Again that is the sort of thing that you can see regardless of who you line up against.

no he really wasnt getting open that much last year at all - watch the difference between him and chris moore running a deep route and see how easily defenders push him tight to the sideline whereas chris moore creates more space to the outside to throw to as just one example

and his catching really hasnt improved that much - one of the catches he had this preseason he was lucky wasnt reviewed because it sure as hell looked like it hit the ground to me, one of them was the catch in the endzone but it hit him in the chest and bobbled like crazy and the db really should have stopped it getting to him (because perriman literally never comes back to the football or high points it - he waits for it to get to him), and while some of his catches were hands catches - he still demonstrates bad form with how he hands catches i.e. he uses crocodile hands rather than getting his hand behind the point of the ball

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
The problem the giants have is that the qb class for next year looks pretty abysmal which means that if Eli is as bad as he looked the last 2 years then they literally have 2 years to wait to get a decent prospect if they go via the draft
I honestly dont think next years QB class is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. There might not be as many top guys as last year but theres still decent depth

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I honestly dont think next years QB class is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. There might not be as many top guys as last year but theres still decent depth

at this point i dont see a single franchise qb prospect in this year's class - now maybe there'll be a 1 year starter who pops out and makes a case but so far the candidates in the class seem to be:

Justin Herbert
Drew Lock
Ryan Finley
Shea Patterson
Brandon Wimbush
Jarrett Stidham
Will Grier

that's probably the most uninspiring qb group ive come across - at this point last year we already knew 3 of the eventual 1st round qbs were going in the 1st round and we knew there was upside in the other 2 (one went 32nd overall, the other went 1st overall)

Justin Herbert looks like the best bet to be a franchise player but he's only played something like 8 games as a starter at this point
everybody else has significant work to do to prove they are worthy franchise players

the dearth of quality is really stark in comparison to the 2018 class

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Your missing a lot of guys that i think habe some potential. Again its not top heavy what so ever but when you add guys who have developmental potential its not as bleak as it seems.

Add Mcsorely
Jake Browning
Daniel Jones
Tyree Jackson
Mckenzie Milton

None of those guys really have great careers or the productuon youd like to see but they do have traits you can work with. Outside the top 5 QBs last year there really wasnt much else to work with. I think there are more quality projectss outside of the 1st round unlike last year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Your missing a lot of guys that i think habe some potential. Again its not top heavy what so ever but when you add guys who have developmental potential its not as bleak as it seems.

Add Mcsorely
Jake Browning
Daniel Jones
Tyree Jackson
Mckenzie Milton

None of those guys really have great careers or the productuon youd like to see but they do have traits you can work with. Outside the top 5 QBs last year there really wasnt much else to work with. I think there are more quality projectss outside of the 1st round unlike last year

jack browning's a potential one to progress
you're right that i should have added mcsorely to that list too - kind of just emphasises how bad the list really is

there's a lot of guys who will probably end up going in the mid-rounds this upcoming year (or should go in the mid-rounds) but if I'm honest Drew Lock is being talked about as a potential future first round pick but if he came out early in 2018 im genuinely not sure if he'd have been drafted...

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Looks like we will have another holdout extend into the season. While Bell will not be present for the Steelers against the Browns, the Seattle Seahawks will not have Safety Earl Thomas on the field against the Broncos. He continues to holdout, Seattle's asking price of a second round stands and Dallas is only willing to give up a third for him. So if you need more reason to pick Denver, their secondary may be in trouble.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...ed-to-show-up-to-sea?ls=roto:SEA:topheadlines

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
Schefter reported today that Dallas upped the offer to a second round pick and Seattle wanted more.

Looks like we will have another holdout extend into the season. While Bell will not be present for the Steelers against the Browns, the Seattle Seahawks will not have Safety Earl Thomas on the field against the Broncos. He continues to holdout, Seattle's asking price of a second round stands and Dallas is only willing to give up a third for him. So if you need more reason to pick Denver, their secondary may be in trouble.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...ed-to-show-up-to-sea?ls=roto:SEA:topheadlines

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
LOL at these Steelers offensive lineman calling Bell out. How dare they attack a man of honor, integrity, and principle. I'm beyond appalled of this drama. I support Le'Veon in his financial decisions. #ImWithLeVeon