• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Our man Joe Cool signed a one year deal with the Eagles

$3.5M fully guaranteed too, not too bad for him at this stage in his career. Joe did have some decent games for the Jets last season ultimately showing that Darnold sucks but it does seem he is the backup behind Hurts.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Bucs extended OT Donovan Smith two years opening up $10M in cap space. Then they are using $9M of it to bring back Ndamukong Suh on a one year deal.

Bucs bringing everyone back.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bucs extended OT Donovan Smith two years opening up $10M in cap space. Then they are using $9M of it to bring back Ndamukong Suh on a one year deal.

Bucs bringing everyone back.
Think its both a good idea and a bad idea.

Good idea because they obviously already have a very strong team.

Bad idea because they'll test my theory of "teams that stay the same get worse, not better". They've not really added any additional pieces to their team at this point. Obviously they have the draft to do so, but they're not really "improved" either.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Think its both a good idea and a bad idea.

Good idea because they obviously already have a very strong team.

Bad idea because they'll test my theory of "teams that stay the same get worse, not better". They've not really added any additional pieces to their team at this point. Obviously they have the draft to do so, but they're not really "improved" either.
I'm sure you didn't mean to say test your theory. It's pretty time tested that teams that stay the same get worse, not bette and I agree they didn't nead and probably shouldn't have made that move.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Trevor Lawrence is avoiding.... the NFL Draft in a different way. Trevor will instead stay home at Clemson and watch the Draft from there, so the Jaguars number one overall pick won't be attending the Draft in person.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Well speaking of former Clemson QBs,

what are your thoughts on this?

......and this?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/f...-watson-inappropriate-behavior-not-in-lawsuit

This whole thing is getting crazier, apparently Houston was going to trade him prior to the lawsuits even though that contradicts everything we had heard about them standing firm on not trading him. He'll be traded by Training Camp if this all clears up by then. It just seems this is going to be ongoing for quite some time.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Buffalo Bills have a new name for their stadium, it's a 10 year deal. They now have the money to pay Josh Allen.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Well speaking of former Clemson QBs,

what are your thoughts on this?

......and this?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/f...-watson-inappropriate-behavior-not-in-lawsuit

Now we have 18 massage therapists coming forward in support of Watson. One even says that since 2018, she has massaged him over 40 times. I mean look nobody really knows what he did and what not but coming out and saying he was professional with you doesn't mean he didn't do anything to the other therapists. Also I just find it really strange to see this many massage therapists and not stick to one or two, I mean that's like having 40 dentists.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...es-attached-voice-support-for-deshaun-watson/

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Bernard Pollard, who last played in 2014 is coming out of retirement to once again play in the NFL. He's 36.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
QB TRADE! This also confirms Zach Wilson to the Jets. This now gives the Jets, 2 firsts and 2 second round picks in the 2022 Draft.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
A very uninspiring group of draft picks obtained in this trade.

To be fair he is a very uninspiring QB. Seems best for both sides( Darnold/Jets) to move on. Panthers on the other hand... Darnold, Bridgewater, and whatever is left over at the QB position when they pick 8..yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
To be fair he is a very uninspiring QB. Seems best for both sides( Darnold/Jets) to move on. Panthers on the other hand... Darnold, Bridgewater, and whatever is left over at the QB position when they pick 8..yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean I think its pretty much impossible to evaluate any QB in the Jets system in the last 4-5 years with any sort of accuracy. Carolina isn't an optimal landing spot, but I think he'll do OK.

I would imagine this would take Carolina out of the running for a QB at #8. Panthers are picking up Darnold's option for next year, so he essentially gets a two-year trial in Carolina. Panthers could easily trade back, or just take a quality Olineman or weapon for Darnold to throw to. They will have plenty of options at #8 for that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean I think its pretty much impossible to evaluate any QB in the Jets system in the last 4-5 years with any sort of accuracy. Carolina isn't an optimal landing spot, but I think he'll do OK.

I would imagine this would take Carolina out of the running for a QB at #8. Panthers are picking up Darnold's option for next year, so he essentially gets a two-year trial in Carolina. Panthers could easily trade back, or just take a quality Olineman or weapon for Darnold to throw to. They will have plenty of options at #8 for that.

definitely not making that trade if i'm still taking a QB at 8 - but i would say that it almost certainly puts them in the "hoping a top OT falls" category

and while i like the top 4 QBs in this class i can certainly see them liking a 23 yr old darnold more than a couple of these guys - especially in joe brady's offence

i think carolina's a great landing spot - the OL's not amazing but he's got 2 nice weapons at WR and a couple of contributors at TE and christian mccaffrey as one of the top safety valves and all around weapons in the league - and joe brady as his OC - that's a great landing spot especially if they pick up one of the top tackles in the draft and still be in a great position at the top of the 2nd round to pick up another receiver (or even another OL) but after spending a ton of picks on defence they've also got a pretty good looking defence for him to work with too

JO_75

Hall of Famer
definitely not making that trade if i'm still taking a QB at 8 - but i would say that it almost certainly puts them in the "hoping a top OT falls" category

and while i like the top 4 QBs in this class i can certainly see them liking a 23 yr old darnold more than a couple of these guys - especially in joe brady's offence

i think carolina's a great landing spot - the OL's not amazing but he's got 2 nice weapons at WR and a couple of contributors at TE and christian mccaffrey as one of the top safety valves and all around weapons in the league - and joe brady as his OC - that's a great landing spot especially if they pick up one of the top tackles in the draft and still be in a great position at the top of the 2nd round to pick up another receiver (or even another OL) but after spending a ton of picks on defence they've also got a pretty good looking defence for him to work with too

Carolina may not be as set up as Tennessee was for Tannehill when he took over the starting job but Darnold has very similar pieces in places to help him be more successful in Carolina than he was in New York. Tannehill had Henry, AJ Brown, Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis. In Carolina Darnold will have CMC, Robby Anderson, DJ Moore, and whoever else they get him in the draft at WR & TE. I think OT with the 8th pick is now very likely and that will give him better protection. Considering Joe Brady runs a similar offense to Sean Payton and the west coast offense, I would not be surprised if Darnold succeeds and does for the Panthers what Tannehill did for the Titans.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Only thing I don't really like for Carolina is you're effectively only getting one "cheap year". 5th year option in 2022 will be I believe like $23M or something large. They must have had him graded higher than several of the QB prospects in this draft.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only thing I don't really like for Carolina is you're effectively only getting one "cheap year". 5th year option in 2022 will be I believe like $23M or something large. They must have had him graded higher than several of the QB prospects in this draft.
Again they took a calculated risk without giving up too much. I think things changed for them with the Watson fiasco and the Niners trade to move up to #3. Their options were limited at QB so they took the one with the best risk adjustment. Very low risk, decent reward proposition.