• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Devastating injury for the Cardinals ahead of tomorrow's huge NFC showdown with the Packers. JJ Watt is done for the season.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
He isn't going to let his team be the only team to take a hit while everyone else is being protected. I have a funny feeling this is going to be far from over and that whatever the NFL is trying to hide will come out eventually and set the NFL world on fire.
to say that 650k emails existed without any racism, sexism, or homophobia is actually a really funny thing to hear. yep it was surely only Gruden. if shit gets leaked I wonder if there will be stuff about CTE / player health. this could definitely end in a lockout imo

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Wow - cardinals offence has been great but they’re only undefeated because of that defence

JJ Watt can still play at a high level, his problem is staying on the field. Just imagine if we had signed him and this would have added to the list of injury woes for us.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
JJ Watt can still play at a high level, his problem is staying on the field. Just imagine if we had signed him and this would have added to the list of injury woes for us.
Tell me about it. I'm glad my #SIIE powers missed with this one.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Trade for Andre Dillard? Pretty sure he is only making 2 Mil this year so we can make it work. Phili doesn’t need him anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Trade for Andre Dillard? Pretty sure he is only making 2 Mil this year so we can make it work. Phili doesn’t need him anymore

Why do they not need him anymore?
I sincerely doubt any team, regardless of contention status, is going to trade away a respectable Oline, who is under team control through 2022 at a ridiculously low price.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
to say that 650k emails existed without any racism, sexism, or homophobia is actually a really funny thing to hear. yep it was surely only Gruden. if shit gets leaked I wonder if there will be stuff about CTE / player health. this could definitely end in a lockout imo
I mean... its a lot of talk about nothing in my opinion.
For starters, if the NFL doesn't want it out, it's probably not getting out.
Second, I'm honestly not sure why the public cares about any of this. They're acting like its a realistic expectation that a large company with hundreds of employees could not possibly have anybody who has racist views, homophobic views, or sexist views towards other people. We already know that a gigantic portion of the population has these views already, and we know that unemployment really isn't that low, so they must be working somewhere. This to me just falls into the category of the general public using its free time to play arbitrary morality police and to tell others how to live their lives and what to think.
Third, and most importantly, what does a lockout achieve? How are the players going to make money? Are they all these super talented, multi-dimensional, scholarly athletes who have six figure + incomes to fall back on? We know that like 15% of NFL players end up bankrupt within 12 years of retirement, and there are estimates that upwards of 75-80% face "significant financial hardships" after retirement. So what the hell do you think happens when they're voluntarily retiring in their 20s to take some arbitrary stance against a couple white guys, who pay them a ton, being racists?
Lets be realistic... players care about money as much as the owners do. I'd argue even more so in certain spots. I'm not sure there's anything the league could do that would get enough player interest to shut down the income train all together.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why do they not need him anymore?
I sincerely doubt any team, regardless of contention status, is going to trade away a respectable Oline, who is under team control through 2022 at a ridiculously low price.

Mailata signed a four year extension and is starting in his place. Might as well get something sell high on Dillard while you can

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Second, I'm honestly not sure why the public cares about any of this. They're acting like its a realistic expectation that a large company with hundreds of employees could not possibly have anybody who has racist views, homophobic views, or sexist views towards other people. We already know that a gigantic portion of the population has these views already, and we know that unemployment really isn't that low, so they must be working somewhere. This to me just falls into the category of the general public using its free time to play arbitrary morality police and to tell others how to live their lives and what to think.
Third, and most importantly, what does a lockout achieve? How are the players going to make money? Are they all these super talented, multi-dimensional, scholarly athletes who have six figure + incomes to fall back on? We know that like 15% of NFL players end up bankrupt within 12 years of retirement, and there are estimates that upwards of 75-80% face "significant financial hardships" after retirement. So what the hell do you think happens when they're voluntarily retiring in their 20s to take some arbitrary stance against a couple white guys, who pay them a ton, being racists?
Lets be realistic... players care about money as much as the owners do. I'd argue even more so in certain spots. I'm not sure there's anything the league could do that would get enough player interest to shut down the income train all together.

how fucking patronising...

i care... id like to know

because it'd be good to know whether the people in charge harbour those views in private while publicly saying the opposite

but also it's not just about the fans, it's about the players and the coaches etc. who all work for these guys who might have been discriminating against them or at least some of them... it's not about forcing a change but at least having that knowledge is important especially when it comes to the players selecting which teams they might want to play for...

in a business this large and this public facing of course people will want to know

just because nothing is likely to change doesnt mean we shouldnt care about it or be interested in it

just because you're happy with how things are doesnt mean that everyone else shares your indifference or make you cleverer than them

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

The who matters because we are potentially aren't talking about ground level employees. If I am the NFL then I do not want to be associated with anything mentioned above. So if that is the case, then I want to separate myself from all of those people to protect my brand.

The NFL cares about what the public thinks because they are the ones that pay

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
how fucking patronising...

i care... id like to know

because it'd be good to know whether the people in charge harbour those views in private while publicly saying the opposite

but also it's not just about the fans, it's about the players and the coaches etc. who all work for these guys who might have been discriminating against them or at least some of them... it's not about forcing a change but at least having that knowledge is important especially when it comes to the players selecting which teams they might want to play for...

in a business this large and this public facing of course people will want to know

just because nothing is likely to change doesnt mean we shouldnt care about it or be interested in it

just because you're happy with how things are doesnt mean that everyone else shares your indifference or make you cleverer than them
I mean... do you want to know because there's like action items on your end or it actually impacts your life, or do you want to know because you think its nice gossip and gives you something to talk about, but ultimately has no impact on your life whatsoever? I think about 99.9999% of the population would have a tough time selling me that finding out who's racist in the NFL will directly impact their lives in even the vaguest possible way.

If its important to players or coaches or employees (I'd argue its hard to sell that too), then provide the info to them and to them only. I don't know what myself, you, or any other fan has done in the totality of their life that has earned any right, even a miniscule one, to get access to private emails or organizations that don't employ you and don't directly impact your life or well being. I would consider that level of unearned arrogance to be criminally ignorant in my eyes.

If people are really that butt hurt and feel like their arbitrary, made up, "rights" are being infringed upon because a private business isn't offering full transparency to people who haven't earned it and aren't impacted by it, then you should personally talk to legal counsel, and attempt to file suit so you can see what you want.

I'm always pro-businesses who put the public in their place when it comes to their arbitrary standards and highly arrogant level of transparency that people don't even adhere to in their own lives. I would just stay the course, let the idiots keep chirping, and eventually, they'll stop chirping and find something else to get fake outraged about later.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The who matters because we are potentially aren't talking about ground level employees. If I am the NFL then I do not want to be associated with anything mentioned above. So if that is the case, then I want to separate myself from all of those people to protect my brand.

The NFL cares about what the public thinks because they are the ones that pay
I mean... do they care about what you think, or do they care about what you do? Answer... its the latter.

People can say, tweet, post, etc. anything they want. It means total shit. The NFL will care what fans think when fans do something other than bitch and moan, i.e. turn the TV off and stop buying tickets. And they're willing to call the public's bluff entirely over it.

The WFT has seen declining ticket sales for years, and they still won't release anything about the investigation. Tells you just how much they care about what "fans" have to say. They see the TV ratings like we all do. This is a fight that's ONLY being fought on Twitter, social media, etc. It's not being fought where it actually matters.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mailata signed a four year extension and is starting in his place. Might as well get something sell high on Dillard while you can

Or they just keep as depth, which is basically what they and everybody else needs. And he's cheap, somewhat solid depth.
Note also they've got an All-World player in Lane Johnson who already missed a bunch of time this year with mental health issues, and that's something that could easily happen again. No way am I dealing a player like him now.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean... do you want to know because there's like action items on your end or it actually impacts your life, or do you want to know because you think its nice gossip and gives you something to talk about, but ultimately has no impact on your life whatsoever? I think about 99.9999% of the population would have a tough time selling me that finding out who's racist in the NFL will directly impact their lives in even the vaguest possible way.

I'm always pro-businesses who put the public in their place when it comes to their arbitrary standards and highly arrogant level of transparency that people don't even adhere to in their own lives. I would just stay the course, let the idiots keep chirping, and eventually, they'll stop chirping and find something else to get fake outraged about later.

Lol this could not be more spot on. I also enjoy when the hard truth upsets people, especially when it doesn’t fall perfectly in line with their self perceived virtuous thought process…. Which they never apply in their own lives. It’s all about optics and social credit

rossihunter2

Staff Member

If its important to players or coaches or employees (I'd argue its hard to sell that too), then provide the info to them and to them only. I don't know what myself, you, or any other fan has done in the totality of their life that has earned any right, even a miniscule one, to get access to private emails or organizations that don't employ you and don't directly impact your life or well being. I would consider that level of unearned arrogance to be criminally ignorant in my eyes.

If people are really that butt hurt and feel like their arbitrary, made up, "rights" are being infringed upon because a private business isn't offering full transparency to people who haven't earned it and aren't impacted by it, then you should personally talk to legal counsel, and attempt to file suit so you can see what you want.

except the NFL doesnt interact with the public like a private business and actively likes to project itself as a community-oriented organisation - they cant have it both ways

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor