• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
except the NFL doesnt interact with the public like a private business and actively likes to project itself as a community-oriented organisation - they cant have it both ways
Sure they can. Any company that employs a racist, sexist or homophobe but has an ethics policy that forbids it in the workplace has it both ways. I just described like 90% of Corporations in any major market in the world that have more than like 50-100 employees.
There isn't like some test where you can screen out applicants for their religious, race, gender beliefs. Not to mention that it's incredibly easy to lie your way into getting somebody to think that you think the way they want you to think.

The NFL taking a public stance against such topics is done a) because the majority of their employees are minorities and b) culture says that everybody must take a public stance against this, or risk being criticized for not meeting arbitrary standards.

Very few companies you know of any notable size, if any at all, actually practice what they preach. Because they know the practice of doing so requires actual discrimination on their part (which is the paradox here) and that its unattainable and unsustainable to think organizations should rid themselves of people who share different points of view.

Last edited:

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sure they can. Any company that employs a racist, sexist or homophobe but has an ethics policy that forbids it in the workplace has it both ways. I just described like 90% of Corporations in any major market in the world that have more than like 50-100 employees.
There isn't like some test where you can screen out applicants for their religious, race, gender beliefs. Not to mention that it's incredibly easy to lie your way into getting somebody to think that you think the way they want you to think.

The NFL taking a public stance against such topics is done a) because the majority of their employees are minorities and b) culture says that everybody must take a public stance against this, or risk being criticized for not meeting arbitrary standards.

Very few companies you know of any notable size, if any at all, actually practice what they preach. Because they know the practice of doing so requires actual discrimination on their part (which is the paradox here) and that its unattainable and unsustainable to think organizations should rid themselves of people who share different points of view.

Which of those big corporations presents itself
I mean... do they care about what you think, or do they care about what you do? Answer... its the latter.

People can say, tweet, post, etc. anything they want. It means total shit. The NFL will care what fans think when fans do something other than bitch and moan, i.e. turn the TV off and stop buying tickets. And they're willing to call the public's bluff entirely over it.

The WFT has seen declining ticket sales for years, and they still won't release anything about the investigation. Tells you just how much they care about what "fans" have to say. They see the TV ratings like we all do. This is a fight that's ONLY being fought on Twitter, social media, etc. It's not being fought where it actually matters.

I see your point. I still think the NFL tries to play the 50 yard line with things and looks to align itself with being all about the community etc etc.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
He killed someone while driving drunk.

Drunk driving? Throw the book at him.

There are many things that I can at least understand why someone would do....this is not one of them.

All the money and resources at your disposal to use as you wish and you still choose to drive around drunk?

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
Judging by the crash scene photos, he was hauling ass and just ran straight into a car in front of him. Asshole.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Saddens me to see these young brothers wasting their lives and careers away over foolishness. Opportunity to make millions.....................squandered.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Ruggs lost his best friend Rod Scott in 2016 due to a car accident and now he is the one who killed someone via car accident. It's worse since he was driving drunk... throw the book at him and throw away the keys.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Which of those big corporations presents itself

I see your point. I still think the NFL tries to play the 50 yard line with things and looks to align itself with being all about the community etc etc.
Because that's what the public demands. It's super easy to straddle the fence with all of this stuff because if you take a stance on either side you'll piss off a lot of people. Look at what they did with the national anthem protests. They basically did nothing, because they can't do anything. You're viewed as anti-American by other side of the stance.

Gotta realize that nowadays people getting criticized for taking no action instead of taking the wrong action. When Black Lives Matter was a thing, companies would just voluntarily put out press releases stating that they support minorities. Even if it wasn't true, they'd be criticized for simply NOT doing something that has nothing to do with them to begin with.

It's just a PR campaign and nothing more. If people are surprised that an organization would say something publicly and do something different privately, take a look around you. That's how real life is. Your friends do that. Your family does that. It's purely just to make a small group of people feel better. That's it.

I love what the NFL's done here. I love what Dave Chapelle has been doing for weeks now.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

JO_75

Hall of Famer
HUGE NEWS.... Aaron Rodgers tests positive for COVID and is OUT Sunday against the Chiefs. For those wondering, Rodgers is unvaccinated which is why he has been ruled out for Sunday. The Jordan Love era begins. Sorry @Ice Bowl

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Well here's more info on the Ruggs crash... and it just got worse for him. Hope he rots in jail... killed an innocent 23 year old woman and her dog.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
HUGE NEWS.... Aaron Rodgers tests positive for COVID and is OUT Sunday against the Chiefs. For those wondering, Rodgers is unvaccinated which is why he has been ruled out for Sunday. The Jordan Love era begins. Sorry @Ice Bowl

there's all sorts of controversy about his vaccination status - it seems like he's not been following protocols and asked the NFL in the summer to allow him not to follow unvaccinated protocols based on his having some "alternative" treatment and the NFL rightfully refused...

but looks like he's not been bothering to follow the protocols anyway