• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Judon has signed his tender... he will be playing football in 2021

the timing is odd but i have these 4 possible reasons (or a combination):

1) Wants to join in with the voluntary offseason stuff and meeting etc. (think he had to sign the tender to be a part of the offseason schedule)
2) the behind the scenes arguing about whether he should be tagged as DL or LB is over and he's accepted that he's getting LB money and just wants to get on with it
3) he's about to get an extension
4) he's about to be traded

only thing judon loses by signing is the leverage of a holdout - but he was never going to holdout because the money is too good vs what he's earned in his career so far
Fuck I’d love some exciting news right now, but the odds are he just plays out the year

JAAM

Hall of Famer
God I hope we trade his ass. In no world is Judon worth 16 million. I’m still pissed we tagged him in the first place

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
that's interesting - so that explains why he signed it then...
Interesting. While its only ~$700K difference from where he was slotted, it could signal maybe that the Ravens actually don't plan on giving him a long term deal this offseason.

While not universal, most franchise tag players aren't interested in negotiating long term deals for less than the cap value, so that means long term discussions would start at around $17M a year.

With Stanley and Marlon due for lucrative extensions as early as next offseason, it wouldn't be surprising if the Ravens just decided to keep Judon this year and let him walk next year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Interesting. While its only ~$700K difference from where he was slotted, it could signal maybe that the Ravens actually don't plan on giving him a long term deal this offseason.

While not universal, most franchise tag players aren't interested in negotiating long term deals for less than the cap value, so that means long term discussions would start at around $17M a year.

With Stanley and Marlon due for lucrative extensions as early as next offseason, it wouldn't be surprising if the Ravens just decided to keep Judon this year and let him walk next year.

while you may be right on the eventual outcome - im not sure why the extra 700k on his cap hit makes that more or less likely...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I was totally unaware you could customize franchise tag numbers. I thought it was concrete average of top 5.

also, maybe the league needs to stop being such a goddamn dinosaur with this, edge, DE, and LB, can all be drastically different positions, the NFL is the only outlet who will still lump ray Lewis and Lawrence Taylor together in the same category and rankings for the “GOAT LB list”.

For instance on how outdated this bullshit is, a guy like cam heyward signing the tag as a DE could result in millions of dollars difference from one year to the next, not because of fluctuating contracts but because of premiere players changing positions but playing the same role. Khalil Mack is a LB one year and DE the next, if the rams with their 3-4 list Donald as a DE which has been his official position listing at some point, that also skews tf out of it, then you got 5techs getting franchised with edge rusher and DT contracts in the top 5 upsetting the average.

shit is so stupid.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

While I’m cool with keeping the band together I am just straight up not a big Judon fan, I’ve listed why a million times as have others, so I hope like hell we don’t extend, let another sucker out there paul Kruger themselves. I do like that we are making sure we aren’t completely butt naked at edge rusher so Judon really had leverage on us, and were just hoping he balls out for a contract and it helps us win a chip, that’s fine by me 100% but goddamn I wish we could’ve traded him. Getting another 2 for him would’ve been just beautiful, what if we could’ve traded hurst and Judon and got dobbins and mims/epenesa and still traded back and ended up with the same rd3/day3 guys, I’d take that for damn sure, and not only are we likely buffing up our talent way more than we do by keeping Judon but we clear that tag from the books and have another 17m to work with this offseason.

shit if the ravens traded Judon and took epenesa with the pick I bet they would’ve taken that savings and traded for Jamal Adams and extended him by now and earl thomas would be on the trade block

although that would imply a team offers a 2 for Judon... and then there’s alwYs the possibility a contender loses an edge rusher to injury and ponies up for Judon the way Seattle did for clowney