• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

LSURavenFan

Veteran
Big fan of Ngakoue, great move by EDC! I also think there's a good chance that this isn't a 10 game rental and EDC is able to extend him.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Would anyone want John Ross on this team? I know he's been literally awful and injury prone, but his speed is crazy. I personally don't see a spot for him given Hollywood and Duv, but I think it's silly to not even consider 4.2 speed given our offense. Also I wasn't really talking about this year. I mean for next year. I don't think he'll be on the Bengals next year and I don't think anyone trades for him. I bet they just cut him.

Would anyone want John Ross on this team? I know he's been literally awful and injury prone, but his speed is crazy. I personally don't see a spot for him given Hollywood and Duv, but I think it's silly to not even consider 4.2 speed given our offense. Also I wasn't really talking about this year. I mean for next year. I don't think he'll be on the Bengals next year and I don't think anyone trades for him. I bet they just cut him.

Nope. I'd rather Perriman

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Jeff Zrebiec mentioned in his article this morning that Ngakoue is on the franchise tag and can't be extended until after the season. I don't believe that is true. He took over 5m less not to be franchised and instead signed a one year contract with Jacksonville so they could trade him to the Vikings. Isn't this true?

Simba

Staff Member
Jeff Zrebiec mentioned in his article this morning that Ngakoue is on the franchise tag and can't be extended until after the season. I don't believe that is true. He took over 5m less not to be franchised and instead signed a one year contract with Jacksonville so they could trade him to the Vikings. Isn't this true?

Nah he's still on the franchise tag because that "new" deal was agreed to after the franchise tag negotiation deadline. He just agreed to a lesser amount on the tag to get out of there.

Simba

Staff Member
Side note... did I just discover a franchise tag loophole? What if the player agrees to a 1 year deal at the same amount as the franchise tag and then you extend the negotiating window? Is there anything illegal about getting an "extension" twice in 1 year?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Side note... did I just discover a franchise tag loophole? What if the player agrees to a 1 year deal at the same amount as the franchise tag and then you extend the negotiating window? Is there anything illegal about getting an "extension" twice in 1 year?
Dam

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
No, there is no rule keeping a team extending the same player twice in one year. That being said, if he's going to sign a contract for the same price as the franchise tag it won't benefit the player, especially since year two he would get 20% more if he was franchised again, ie Cousins when he was with the WFT.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If Dez Bryant has anything left in the tank, it's still going to take him some time to get up to speed, kind of like Gronk taking some time after taking a year off and Dez has had more than a year off.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
If Dez Bryant has anything left in the tank, it's still going to take him some time to get up to speed, kind of like Gronk taking some time after taking a year off and Dez has had more than a year off.
Game speed is different than workout speed, but I've heard Dez has been working hard because he wanted to get back on the field whereas Gronk wasn't really maintaining his shape during his brief retirement

Simba

Staff Member
No, there is no rule keeping a team extending the same player twice in one year. That being said, if he's going to sign a contract for the same price as the franchise tag it won't benefit the player, especially since year two he would get 20% more if he was franchised again, ie Cousins when he was with the WFT.

I mean it kind of does if you think you can get an extension done during the season and really cash in. It puts a lot of trust in both sides but it's not impossible.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

John Ross is a bonafide scrub. He simply cannot play. He is a bust and has shown nothing that would make me think he is anything else.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Scary movie 3... damn I think you just made a fact just now, that’s some real shit