• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I guess it's related to the Pitts draft? Anyone want him back as an FA next year? (Ignoring the comp pick stuff)

I guess the question is... to do what? He's an average to maybe above average blocker. In this pass game, where does he fit in?

Sure, I'd take him back... at least maybe $1-2M a year. He'll get better offers elsewhere.

I guess the question is... to do what? He's an average to maybe above average blocker. In this pass game, where does he fit in?

Sure, I'd take him back... at least maybe $1-2M a year. He'll get better offers elsewhere.
Yeah I agree that he'll get better offers than what the Ravens should pay based on what his role would be. That role would be the hybrid blocker/pass catcher niche that he filled last year - but of course with the receiver upgrade even that is significantly devalued I suppose.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I agree that he'll get better offers than what the Ravens should pay based on what his role would be. That role would be the hybrid blocker/pass catcher niche that he filled last year - but of course with the receiver upgrade even that is significantly devalued I suppose.
It would be a potential backup plan if, by some chance, you fail to sign Andrews long term, who is a FA after 2021.
That would be very shocking to me, however. Even the franchise tag value for TEs, while certainly not cheap, isn't expected to be outrageous next year. Should be in the $11M range.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Hurst is also someone that has been open about struggling with mental health and definitely suffered from the YIPS. If he's come to terms with the fact he's a backup TE in this league, he might be begging EDC to sign him. The reason is, I do think he was legitimately happy being friends with Mark and Nick. He just wanted the opportunity to make his money. That's probably not going to happen now. So we'll see.

Hurst is also someone that has been open about struggling with mental health and definitely suffered from the YIPS. If he's come to terms with the fact he's a backup TE in this league, he might be begging EDC to sign him. The reason is, I do think he was legitimately happy being friends with Mark and Nick. He just wanted the opportunity to make his money. That's probably not going to happen now. So we'll see.
I always really appreciated Hurst for being open about his mental health struggles. Really want to see him succeed in the league. Hopefully he finds a good fit somewhere.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

there just isnt much of a role for 3 receivers at TE in this offense - there was hardly enough of a role when this offense was as TE heavy as it gets

we're never going to be that offense again because it limits our ability to be dynamic in the passing game

only way i see it is if we don't retain andrews and we want a cheaper alternative... but that's exceedingly unlikely to me

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think right now he is a backup TE in the league. I think he could be a quality option on a lot of teams. He's just been somewhat unlucky with the fact that a) he got drafted on the same team as another pass-catching TE who is better than him and b) the team he got traded to had one of the best TE prospects ever fall right into their lap.

Like I don't think Austin Hooper is any better as a TE than Hurst is. And he got like $10.5M a year. I don't think Hurst will get that much on the open market, but in an offense that uses him well, he could be very productive.

One of the downsides for him, however, is that's "older" by NFL standards. He will be 29 as a FA for the first time.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I don't think right now he is a backup TE in the league. I think he could be a quality option on a lot of teams. He's just been somewhat unlucky with the fact that a) he got drafted on the same team as another pass-catching TE who is better than him and b) the team he got traded to had one of the best TE prospects ever fall right into their lap.

Like I don't think Austin Hooper is any better as a TE than Hurst is. And he got like $10.5M a year. I don't think Hurst will get that much on the open market, but in an offense that uses him well, he could be very productive.

One of the downsides for him, however, is that's "older" by NFL standards. He will be 29 as a FA for the first time.

And I'll be rooting for him. But Pitts is probably going to cut his production in half. 500 yards is his career best. He put up 300 with Andrews around. If that happens again, basically other teams will see that "as the guy" Hurst is a 50 catch for 500 yards in a pass heavy offense. Add in he's basically 30 by the second contract, I'm sure he gets a 5m a year average salary on contract 2.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
And I'll be rooting for him. But Pitts is probably going to cut his production in half. 500 yards is his career best. He put up 300 with Andrews around. If that happens again, basically other teams will see that "as the guy" Hurst is a 50 catch for 500 yards in a pass heavy offense. Add in he's basically 30 by the second contract, I'm sure he gets a 5m a year average salary on contract 2.
Well I have no doubt he'll have a low-production year, but I also think teams will see through that.

I would call it closer to 60/600, if he were in a higher volume attack where he could get 90-100 targets. Would be in the range of like what Engram or Hockensen gets.

If he gets to that level on another team, which he's not far off from in 2020, that's a top 10 TE in this league in terms of output production. In fact, its not that far off from the top 5 either.

Like last year, it was Kelce and Waller, and then a huge drop off in production. Kittle missed half the season, so normally he'd be up there. So there's basically 3 super producers, and then everybody else. There is a TON of tight ends sitting right there in that like 500-700 yards, 5-6 TD range. And some of them are getting paid pretty well.

I don't know what market value for him will be. I would think $5M would be on the low-end, but yes, age and a lower output in 2021 will probably bring his value down a bit.