• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
what a great contract - cheaper than i expected - very reasonable money - makes it a lot easier to do all the business we might want to do this offseason too

puts him tied-6th in the league in av/yr - 20.5m cash in year 1 on 32m guaranteed over 3 years is pretty reasonable too - front loads the cash - the signing bonus vs guaranteed year 1 salary will be interesting to see and would change the shape of the contract but would expect the cap hit to be fairly even on this basis

rossihunter2

Staff Member
this also means that before we even hit the offseason we have all these players in the secondary under contract:

Earl Thomas
Marlon Humphrey
Marcus Peters
Chuck Clark
Tavon Young
Deshon Elliott
Tony Jefferson (save 7m if we cut him)

and we have a club option of around 6m to bring brandon carr back if we want to as well

cutting jefferson will recoup around half of the cap space spent on marcus peters too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
$14M a year.... that's a steal IMO. Compared to how much Ramsey will want from the Rams.... we are going to get the better end of the deal.

ramsey's going to reset the market most likely - my guess is 16m/yr+ will be what he wants but the deal will probably come in just under 16
if we get any sense that ramsey's deal is going to go over 16+ then i reckon we'd have to sign marlon asap or his contract will be astronomical

redrum52

Hall of Famer
imagine if we get jimmy to sign a team-friendly deal to stick around in baltimore too lol
would be ridiculous

Was thinking we'd try this. The way we've treated the secondary, no way we just go into the season with what we have. We'll make a move for another guy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Peter's signing is great news. Cut TJ, resign Carr/Smith depending on what they want

we still have an option for carr worth around 6m if we want it - it's great value for an experienced vet if we still think he adds value to our defence - his situation might also depend on whether we believe deshon elliott will come back well - before we signed peters and before elliott got injured he was playing what is now the brandon carr role when jefferson went out for the year and looked great in that 1 game - if we believe elliott's going to come back at that level we may well let carr leave

the ball-hawking on this defence when tavon comes back next offseason will be outrageous - our best db will still be humphrey but we'll have 3 other guys on that defence with a nose for finding the football in the air

i still kind of expect us to draft another db though - definitely a safety but maybe a corner also - maybe later on just to keep adding 1 a year to see if any hit

levine and trawick not under contract this year - will be interesting to see if they get re-upped at all - both a little older and levine's lost his dime role on the team so both pure special teamers at this point

chris moore will also be an interesting one - lots of special teamers not going to be under contract next season

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Was thinking we'd try this. The way we've treated the secondary, no way we just go into the season with what we have. We'll make a move for another guy.

yeah we wont settle for just 3 corners - we've seen every year at least 1 guy goes down - this year we had 2 injuries to starters by the end of week 1 and despite having outrageously good depth at corner we still had to go out and make a trade to fix the secondary

and i dont think we view brandon carr as a full-time corner at this point so whether it's jimmy coming back, bringing a solid free-agent in for cheaper (like we did with carr 3 years ago) or spending another draft pick i think we're bringing in (or back) at least 1 more corner

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Perfect. Wonder what Humphrey's deal will look like. Next year looking like Marlon, Tavon, Marcus, Earl, Clark and Elliot. That is DISGUSTING. Hopefully progress from Averett and see what we have with Marshall. Great thing has been Marlons ability to go inside. We have a very versatile secondary. Think we still have the Carr option as well.
no question we pick up Carr's option. His ability to play corner and safety is nice to have.