• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’d like to also look at bringing back Seth Roberts. He’s kinda come through for us in a few pinches. I definitely think he can bring a little something to the offense and would like him back if it works out for both of us. That will be the biggest question for sure

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’d like to also look at bringing back Seth Roberts. He’s kinda come through for us in a few pinches. I definitely think he can bring a little something to the offense and would like him back if it works out for both of us. That will be the biggest question for sure

there'll be another competition in camp next year - id have no problem with seth roberts being a part of that battle but he doesnt play much special teams and that may impact his value albeit he's currently probably the number 3 wr on the team so that's not so significant but i dont expect us to stay as we are at wr for next year

+ chris moore is also a free agent and he's almost certainly our best special teamer right now and is invaluable on punt coverage as a gunner who can beat double teams

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
this was a successful free agent and should be an inexpensive WR to retain as well. I agree, we should retain him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The whole Marcus Peters ride this year has been incredible - from EDC trading for him, to the 2 pick 6s, to now extending him for a really surprisingly fair deal

And what’s cool is he fits in so well here and clearly believes in what’s going on here too

His post-signing interview was interesting for a couple of reasons:

1. Eric Weddle is still repping the ravens despite being a ram - clearly had high praise for the organisation and the locker room
  2. He sees something special coming which is why he signed now rather than wait - he wants to be here and be part of what’s going to happen with Lamar and all the young talent
  3. Clearly he’s not struggling with focus or hype or being front-runners - when asked what the mentality is going in as favourites he literally just said win or go home

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
The whole Marcus Peters ride this year has been incredible - from EDC trading for him, to the 2 pick 6s, to now extending him for a really surprisingly fair deal

And what’s cool is he fits in so well here and clearly believes in what’s going on here too

His post-signing interview was interesting for a couple of reasons:

1. Eric Weddle is still repping the ravens despite being a ram - clearly had high praise for the organisation and the locker room
  2. He sees something special coming which is why he signed now rather than wait - he wants to be here and be part of what’s going to happen with Lamar and all the young talent
  3. Clearly he’s not struggling with focus or hype or being front-runners - when asked what the mentality is going in as favourites he literally just said win or go home
I definitely agree with the sentiment that he should be a Raven from the get-go because he surely plays like and acts like one. I still say my favorite moment from him was him jawing at Ramsey after the Rams game.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I definitely agree with the sentiment that he should be a Raven from the get-go because he surely plays like and acts like one. I still say my favorite moment from him was him jawing at Ramsey after the Rams game.

Peters is pure entertainment out there and seems like he's really having fun because we're letting him just be himself. Talking trash to Ramsey and opposing WRs, dancing and twirling like a ballerina on the sidelines, chugging beer in the crowd, etc....Really glad we were able to get him on our team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Peters is pure entertainment out there and seems like he's really having fun because we're letting him just be himself. Talking trash to Ramsey and opposing WRs, dancing and twirling like a ballerina on the sidelines, chugging beer in the crowd, etc....Really glad we were able to get him on our team.

importantly as you say we are letting him be himself and that includes the way he plays corner
yes there are times when he has to man up but we're also allowing him and encouraging him to take chances - when he gets it wrong he might give up an easy reception but if he gets it right he potentially makes a huge play and that combined with Earl Thomas in the middle of the field makes him even more dangerous

while the whole defence last year was better, this defence this year is probably the most threatening defence we've had in terms of turning over opposing offences and actually being a threat going the other way...

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
importantly as you say we are letting him be himself and that includes the way he plays corner
yes there are times when he has to man up but we're also allowing him and encouraging him to take chances - when he gets it wrong he might give up an easy reception but if he gets it right he potentially makes a huge play and that combined with Earl Thomas in the middle of the field makes him even more dangerous

while the whole defence last year was better, this defence this year is probably the most threatening defence we've had in terms of turning over opposing offences and actually being a threat going the other way...

Exactly. I'll gladly give up some easy receptions for a chance to get a TO and possibly even score on that TO (Peters is great at returning picks for TDs obviously). I'd honestly say this version of our defense is BETTER just because of the threat of TOs. Last year's defense was more stout, but this year's version isn't far off and I much prefer the ability to get off the field on any given play rather than constantly having to force punts.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

contract details in a thread from brian mcfarland:

some important details:
  • really flat cap hits - was expecting the signing bonus to be bigger but we're doing anything in our power to keep future potential dead cap hits down including...
  • spreading his signing bonus over this year as well - so while we now are really flush up against the cap this year we've got 2m of his pro-rated bonus hits done this year rather (and have reduced his salary for 2019 also by about 500k to stay under cap)
  • we're now at around 35m cap space for next offseason before ERFAs and draft picks etc. so the total is coming down a lot but that's partly because we're getting a lot of offseason business done before the offseason

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

contract details in a thread from brian mcfarland:

some important details:
  • really flat cap hits - was expecting the signing bonus to be bigger but we're doing anything in our power to keep future potential dead cap hits down including...
  • spreading his signing bonus over this year as well - so while we now are really flush up against the cap this year we've got 2m of his pro-rated bonus hits done this year rather (and have reduced his salary for 2019 also by about 500k to stay under cap)
  • we're now at around 41m cap space for next offseason before ERFAs and draft picks etc. so the total is coming down a lot but that's partly because we're getting a lot of offseason business done before the offseason

whenever you have flat cap hits it is essentially paying more up front due to the increase in cap for years 2 or 3. I like the idea of keeping the cap flat, although I wouldn't have minded a little more upfront money (salary wise) in year 1.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
there's no need to do that though - as you say the cap increases every year so we dont need to take the majority early
Oh, I absolutely know that, I'm just being greedy...

That being said, I really like how contracts have been structured since EDC has taken over.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Update:
it's even better given what you want out of the cap hits @RavensMania

if you look at this contract closely and Peters completely bombs next year, no pun intended btw, we could cut him and save 9.5m in cap while only having 4m in dead money. This is a tremendous contract structure.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
if you look at this contract closely and Peters completely bombs next year, no pun intended btw, we could cut him and save 9.5m in cap while only having 4m in dead money. This is a tremendous contract structure.

it is key to the contract structure that we did it before the end of the season as well - it means the signing bonus pro-rates to this year too which helps that dead cap situation

it does also mean that unless he bombs, he likely plays for us for the whole 3 years (at least) because the cap charge is so low especially given that after the new CBA it's expected the salary cap will increase again

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Exactly. I'll gladly give up some easy receptions for a chance to get a TO and possibly even score on that TO (Peters is great at returning picks for TDs obviously). I'd honestly say this version of our defense is BETTER just because of the threat of TOs. Last year's defense was more stout, but this year's version isn't far off and I much prefer the ability to get off the field on any given play rather than constantly having to force punts.
And all of this is without a great pass-rush (still solid tho). Gosh, how much I want to see us having an insane pass-rush to compliment this secondary. The energy during home games would go through the fucking roof.