• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
or more likely - he's just seen a guy be accused by 22 women of sexual misconduct and assault, not play football for a year, get traded away from his first team and sign the biggest aav deal in NFL history and have it fully guaranteed

he knows that even if he gets injured, he's going to get paid - the only direction his price can and will go is up

i dont get why people have such a hard time understanding what he's doing here - the longer he waits, the bigger the deal will eventually be either because more massive QB deals get done and increase the price, or because the salary cap increases (which it will) and increases the price, or because he gets franchise tagged once or even twice and that sets the baseline of his next deal which increases the price

the only thing he loses out on is the immediate dividend from signing a contract that big - but he's gonna get 23m this year anyway so i imagine he's ok waiting
This is an excellent assessment of the QB market. Forget present value and future value anymore. The Browns opened Pandora's Box with the contract to DW. I hope it's an unmitigated failure, simply because the QB position is now so overpaid (for top notch talent) as related to the overall team payroll that it makes it nearly impossible to have a window of more than a couple years. Eventually it has to swing back into balance for teams to REMAIN competitive and win perennially as the Pats and others have done over the years.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Lucky for you.. you don’t have to buy the latest version. Just dust out your madden ‘18.. it’s the same shit

I'm still on Madden 20, have a 32 team CFM that I've been updating rosters through Custom Draft Classes. I just sim each win to reflect real life so I'm up to date with the new season.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm still on Madden 20, have a 32 team CFM that I've been updating rosters through Custom Draft Classes. I just sim each win to reflect real life so I'm up to date with the new season.

I’m not a online player. I just like to play franchise mode and f around. They haven’t touch franchise mode in 4+ years so I stopped buying the game. They got hella lazy and don’t care about innovation since it’s a monopoly

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Okay this slow news is pissin me off

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m not a online player. I just like to play franchise mode and f around. They haven’t touch franchise mode in 4+ years so I stopped buying the game. They got hella lazy and don’t care about innovation since it’s a monopoly

I use to play in tournaments for that one semester I went to school. Learned alot about nano blitzes.

Also learned that nobody but me was running the ball (Ray Rice/Willis)

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ray Lewis tweeted he might pull a Brady and unretire.... does that count?

Ray Lewis comes back for 1 more year..

Who’s the last out there tunnel? Lewis or Lamar? Ponder that.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
or more likely - he's just seen a guy be accused by 22 women of sexual misconduct and assault, not play football for a year, get traded away from his first team and sign the biggest aav deal in NFL history and have it fully guaranteed

he knows that even if he gets injured, he's going to get paid - the only direction his price can and will go is up

i dont get why people have such a hard time understanding what he's doing here - the longer he waits, the bigger the deal will eventually be either because more massive QB deals get done and increase the price, or because the salary cap increases (which it will) and increases the price, or because he gets franchise tagged once or even twice and that sets the baseline of his next deal which increases the price

the only thing he loses out on is the immediate dividend from signing a contract that big - but he's gonna get 23m this year anyway so i imagine he's ok waiting
That's an asinine stance for him to take if he is sincere about staying with the Ravens. It only fuels the rumors he is intent on playing out on franchise tags before hitting the open market. Ravens ownership is not going to stash 200-250 Million in an escrow account for Lamar if he feels he should be getting a fully guaranteed deal. Not sure many owners will, that's money sitting there not being invested. Short of the NFL changing this funding requirement sooner rather than later, multiple generational quarterbacks will be dealt or will hit the market.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's an asinine stance for him to take if he is sincere about staying with the Ravens. It only fuels the rumors he is intent on playing out on franchise tags before hitting the open market. Ravens ownership is not going to stash 200-250 Million in an escrow account for Lamar if he feels he should be getting a fully guaranteed deal. Not sure many owners will, that's money sitting there not being invested. Short of the NFL changing this funding requirement sooner rather than later, multiple generational quarterbacks will be dealt or will hit the market.

we'll have to see about the guaranteed element of the deal - but let's be real, at least through the first 3 years of the deal, it might as well be fully guaranteed anyway because no way lamar's not on this team in 3 years time...

and the ravens have been planning to pay lamar for a while now - they have the cap space to do it - whether it's guaranteed or not they still need to find that space and they have it in their plans to give him that kind of deal so not sure why that would impact anything - and it's not that difficult to plan for his cap hits to begin that deal because it's likely they wont be flat through the contract so you dont actually need to budget for a 2023 50m cap hit anyway even if he plays on the franchise tag (that becomes a little harder in 2024 if he still hasnt signed long-term)

and i dont see why this delay impacts his long-term ravens future - the only reason people are talking about it is because he doesnt have an agent and they dont have anything else to talk about... he himself literally today came out and said any rumours he doesnt want to be here are bullshit and the ravens 3 key leaders (Harbs, EDC and Bisciotti) have all said we'll fill out that blank-check whenever he's ready to sign it