• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I feel like there's just been no movement at all in the entire nfl for days now. Doesn't it seem like if that's been the case it's gonna stay that way until after the draft?
you may have some movement, but the majority will happen after the draft.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah it's hard to consider that a competitive offer when the guy wants to play in his home town.
I think our offer was extremely competitive, when you consider that it was slightly better than the offer he took. It doesn't mean it wasn't competitive. It means we would have had to overpay to get him to come here, which I agree we shouldn't.

Actually quite happy that we didn't have to pay Jacksonville prices to get a 32 year old LB to play here.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I feel like there's just been no movement at all in the entire nfl for days now. Doesn't it seem like if that's been the case it's gonna stay that way until after the draft?
A lot of teams are focused on the draft, and its pretty routine for FA's to wait until after the draft. They want to see how that shakes out. Prices can both increase and decrease depending on how a team addresses needs in the draft.

Simba

Staff Member
This is pretty routine honestly. What’s left in the market are (a) guys who aren’t getting offers that they thought they’d get so they’re waiting it out and picking the best situation and (b) cheaper depth guys that always have to wait. This is normal. Don’t let the impatience sway you lol

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think our offer was extremely competitive, when you consider that it was slightly better than the offer he took. It doesn't mean it wasn't competitive. It means we would have had to overpay to get him to come here, which I agree we shouldn't.

Actually quite happy that we didn't have to pay Jacksonville prices to get a 32 year old LB to play here.
Oh I agree with you. It's competitive in terms of fair market value. It wasn't competitive in relation to LAs offer when all things were considered and that's obviously why he chose LA. Can't expect a trivial amount of money to sway someone's base desires as you said.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is pretty routine honestly. What’s left in the market are (a) guys who aren’t getting offers that they thought they’d get so they’re waiting it out and picking the best situation and (b) cheaper depth guys that always have to wait. This is normal. Don’t let the impatience sway you lol
Yeah ok I won't haha. I'm just trying to remember last year and idk why I can only really recall Justin Houston being a bigger name that waited forever to sign. I'm sure there were others that just did not sign with us obviously and maybe I just missed that stuff.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

The hilarious part of wagners deal is that he took less to play there but then when CA taxes are imposed he’s gonna make substantially less.

At least I would assume CA taxes are higher than MD…

Simba

Staff Member
Yeah ok I won't haha. I'm just trying to remember last year and idk why I can only really recall Justin Houston being a bigger name that waited forever to sign. I'm sure there were others that just did not sign with us obviously and maybe I just missed that stuff.
Maybe a few more names than normal but also have to realize that there’s no reason for them to rush right now. Not like teams are about to run out of money. So the teams sit and wait while the players figure out what’s best for them at this point. Classic case where teams aren’t going to bid themselves up for impatience. Let them sit out there and the market comes to them when those players are ready.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Maybe a few more names than normal but also have to realize that there’s no reason for them to rush right now. Not like teams are about to run out of money. So the teams sit and wait while the players figure out what’s best for them at this point. Classic case where teams aren’t going to bid themselves up for impatience. Let them sit out there and the market comes to them when those players are ready.
Makes sense. My greater thought was with seemingly more names still out there, and given our number of holes, that only helps us

Simba

Staff Member
Makes sense. My greater thought was with seemingly more names still out there, and given our number of holes, that only helps us
Helps and hurts. Prices are going down over time but there’s also a real possibility that a lot of these guys are going to end up preferring a 1 year deal to try FA again next year and that’s always hard for us to do with how we approach the cap.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
The hilarious part of wagners deal is that he took less to play there but then when CA taxes are imposed he’s gonna make substantially less.

I live in California and used to live in Maryland. The state income taxes seem about identical to me.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I understand that fans and the media play up the "higher taxes" component, and I'm not saying they're wrong to do so.

But just realistically, its pretty clear that wealthy people don't give a shit about that generally. If they really cared about high taxes, nobody would ever play professional sports, start a business, etc. in California. I understand people are leaving there, but they're still a gigantic population center in this country, and will be for many decades, minimum, even with high taxes, high cost of living, etc.

Its LA. You pretty much can't beat the weather, and people like to live around other rich, successful people.

I lived in MD for 18 years. Haven't lived there in 17 years. Don't miss it one bit. It's not a great State to live in. If I adjusted for compensation, I'd live in LA 10x quicker than I would ever want to live in really any part of MD. It's the same political landscape, only with worse weather. Taxes are still fairly high, cost of living is still fairly high, and what beaches we have are total shit.

There's a reason why a lot of wealthy people that work in DC and surrounding areas live in Northern VA or even WV.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I live in California and used to live in Maryland. The state income taxes seem about identical to me.
Not close.
California state income taxes on wealthy people are super high. Basically over $300K of income is taxed anywhere from 10-14%.
In MD, the highest tax rate is 5.75%, but they tax at over $250K.
California's taxes on the middle class are ridiculously high compared to most other States.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Not close.
California state income taxes on wealthy people are super high. Basically over $300K of income is taxed anywhere from 10-14%.
In MD, the highest tax rate is 5.75%, but they tax at over $250K.
California's taxes on the middle class are ridiculously high compared to most other States.
Yea I’m broke in this bitch. Fuck California