• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

With the holes we have I don't see the logic in chasing Gordon.

We still need a vet signal caller at MLB and some experience on the DL.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I have a bad feeling about both Gus's and JK's progress heath-wise

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Seems we are arbitrarily letting players walk for peanuts. Tavon and Bozeman hurt although I get it with tavon
Maybe so, or it could be that they are willing to make a significant investment in certain areas - like we saw with ZDS. I don't think RB is that position, but they could have their eye on one or a couple that they think are going to be cap casualties after the draft. Other than Tretter, there's no one real exciting right now.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe, but both Gus and Dobbins are off injury and its perhaps not reasonable to expect both of them to recover and play at the same level.
Yea the injuries are a concern, especially for Dobbins recovering his explosiveness. I just hate giving up cap space to a vet running back. Much rather spend a 4th on a guy like Kyren Williams or a 3rd on Spiller/Walker if they happen to slide out of the second.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Can we not sign Gordon and instead draft a RB? Wtf

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea the injuries are a concern, especially for Dobbins recovering his explosiveness. I just hate giving up cap space to a vet running back. Much rather spend a 4th on a guy like Kyren Williams or a 3rd on Spiller/Walker if they happen to slide out of the second.
Sounded, if I recalled, that Ravens are expecting both to start the year on the PUP list in camp. Hopefully will come off at some point, but that's also a bit of a red flag that these guys probably aren't going to get a full camp anyway.

Also is probably just another reminder that the Ravens were super pissed about being in the spot they were in last year, i.e. having to find 2-3 backs in August/September. They're not going to be in that position again.

Agree with others that draft pick may have been the route I'd have gone, but maybe a) they're not thrilled with this draft class and b) they can't guarantee they'll get somebody they like anyway.

That's the thing about the draft. We all just assume you can get great players all the time, but how many times have we been unable to get the player we want because somebody takes them first? It happens in the first round, and in later rounds also.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sounded, if I recalled, that Ravens are expecting both to start the year on the PUP list in camp. Hopefully will come off at some point, but that's also a bit of a red flag that these guys probably aren't going to get a full camp anyway.

Also is probably just another reminder that the Ravens were super pissed about being in the spot they were in last year, i.e. having to find 2-3 backs in August/September. They're not going to be in that position again.

Agree with others that draft pick may have been the route I'd have gone, but maybe a) they're not thrilled with this draft class and b) they can't guarantee they'll get somebody they like anyway.

That's the thing about the draft. We all just assume you can get great players all the time, but how many times have we been unable to get the player we want because somebody takes them first? It happens in the first round, and in later rounds also.
Damn i had not heard that. Really hope he can come back strong.

Simba

Staff Member
The one "fun" idea regarding Gordon is that you can conceivably run the brakes off of him while Dobbins and Edwards recover. You don't have to think long term with Gordon. He's good enough to tote the rock for a few weeks while Dobbins and Edwards work themselves back in (whether on the roster or on PUP). Cap allocation and cost is the big thing here, but I have no problems with Gordon if it's cheap enough.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd say our linebacking core, both inside and outside, is weaker.
We lack Corner depth, not premier players. We have two high-end Corners that could matchup with the two best Corners on just about any team.
We just have nothing behind that.
We don't have high end players at edge, linebacker, or even on the DLine, at the moment.

Ravens look like they will address the CB issue in the draft.

Had they made some sort of trade or signed a free agent I would have placed my bet elsewhere.

I think we go CB in the 1st round

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not buying Hollywood and Cooks are the same. They literally had identical stat lines last year, except one guy played most of the season with Lamar, and the other had Davis Mills.

Cooks has SIX 1,000 yard seasons on his resume, and four 1,100 yard seasons. Hollywood has one.

Lets wait and see what Hollywood does in 2022 before we think they're the same.

Also, Cooks is getting ~$20M per year on his new deal, which is basically the same range we've been suggesting Hollywood would be at for some time now. I'd have trouble reconciling how Hollywood would cost like 20-25% more than him.
I think it’s a fair comp and another point is that yes it’s around 20 AAV but one thing I keep saying that I feel you either neglect to address or fail to understand or choose to ignore is that these contracts will likely keep going up. I think we can get Brown for 20-22 right now but next year or after that? No idea man, could be 25+. Hollywood may not have the production Cooks has had but his value is going up and he was used in a run first offense that didn’t heavily use its WRs with guys like Andrews here as well. Let’s see how he does this year but I think his value will continue to climb.
This is true but Lamar missed 5 games and Hollywood is younger. Although Cooks is only 28 yrs old, so he's still pretty young.

Hollywood still produced under Huntley, he just didn't have as many yards per game with him in the game.
Future production is pretty key here for me since that’s how NFL teams do deals. They may start negotiating based on past performance but they also look at future production when it comes to these deals. Maybe Brown doesn’t get as much guaranteed we will see but I think he’ll push for 25M if we fail to sign him sooner than later

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
The one "fun" idea regarding Gordon is that you can conceivably run the brakes off of him while Dobbins and Edwards recover. You don't have to think long term with Gordon. He's good enough to tote the rock for a few weeks while Dobbins and Edwards work themselves back in (whether on the roster or on PUP). Cap allocation and cost is the big thing here, but I have no problems with Gordon if it's cheap enough.

If Gordon is cheap I would bring him in

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Our needs are as follows:
1a. Edge
1b. DL
3. LB
4. CB
5. OL

DL & Edge are close but for me Edge edges out DL because we have Pierce for NT and Madubuike for DE. That’s a good place to start and does help a lot since DL affects the entire defense. With second year Oweh and veteran Bowser we have some Edge help but not a ton. Can we win with them? Sure. So for me these positions are neck and neck. Problem is, LB is weak. Queen has been OK but I’m not sure he’s really become the all star Lb he could’ve been. Maybe he takes a jump this year. His partner is terrible. I won’t even say his name. Maybe we play more S at LB.

CB is a need because of the WR talent in the conference and our division. Having depth is also critical. We need someone who can get turnovers too as this was a huge issue for us last year with Peters being out.

OL we could be good or could have issues. On paper it’s not bad if it’s Stanley | Someone | Mekari | Zeitler | Moses but it could be a lot better inside and LT is a question mark we won’t know as fans.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

I think Eric learned from last year with Stanley, good veteran signing in case one of Dobbins or Gus is not ready week 1. As long as it's a low cost, I'm perfectly fine with it and doing it now means he can learn the system and be ready Week 1 against whoever we face.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure how to feel about Gordon. Always had potential but has some obvious issues like the fumbles. Could be amazing with Lamar in this offense though but then again 80/20 wonder if we could find a dude as an UDFA or late round pick for the job who will provide a little more long term value.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure how to feel about Gordon. Always had potential but has some obvious issues like the fumbles. Could be amazing with Lamar in this offense though but then again 80/20 wonder if we could find a dude as an UDFA or late round pick for the job who will provide a little more long term value.

Gordon is going to do well here with a camp under his belt. Jackson gets him that additional 300 yards he needs to rush 1200

Assuming he starts for us