• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General Front 7 Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think Tim Williams will lead all rookies in pass rush efficiency, in pff terms. Should have a really high pressure percentage per snap, he got better each week and is starting to look like his college self

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I like our defense but i want to see a vicious pass rush. We should have a top 5 defense this year which will be a good sign for our youg dudes

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I think Tim Williams will lead all rookies in pass rush efficiency, in pff terms. Should have a really high pressure percentage per snap, he got better each week and is starting to look like his college self
I think the less he has to think the better he will be. To me the big difference between WAS and the other games was that he was lost, he didn't know when to rush and when to stay home. The best for him would be as a DPR in his first year and try to extend his role as the season goes on and as he feels more confortable. If we just let him pin his ears back and tell him to fly he's going to be a nightmare.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think the less he has to think the better he will be. To me the big difference between WAS and the other games was that he was lost, he didn't know when to rush and when to stay home. The best for him would be as a DPR in his first year and try to extend his role as the season goes on and as he feels more confortable. If we just let him pin his ears back and tell him to fly he's going to be a nightmare.
Agreed, I hope this is the year that we finally realize that sometimes it's better to let your players do what they do best. We have a really irritating knack for forcing players to be well rounded and stunting their growth, and not letting them see the field early because they can't set the edge or play special teams. It's why we see high potential players do nothing until year 4 and then they have a big year and leave for a big payday.

Tim Williams is not a guy you keep off the field because he doesn't set the edge well, you don't need him to set the edge on third down anyway, keep his legs fresh and send him in for passing downs to pin his ears back. He will learn as he gets live game reps. Tyus bowser is the guy you need doing everything, not williams

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Agreed, I hope this is the year that we finally realize that sometimes it's better to let your players do what they do best. We have a really irritating knack for forcing players to be well rounded and stunting their growth, and not letting them see the field early because they can't set the edge or play special teams. It's why we see high potential players do nothing until year 4 and then they have a big year and leave for a big payday.

Tim Williams is not a guy you keep off the field because he doesn't set the edge well, you don't need him to set the edge on third down anyway, keep his legs fresh and send him in for passing downs to pin his ears back. He will learn as he gets live game reps. Tyus bowser is the guy you need doing everything, not williams

This shit has been frustrating as fuck during the Harbaugh era. The only time I remember guys just getting on the field was when Pagano was was DC.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This shit has been frustrating as fuck during the Harbaugh era. The only time I remember guys just getting on the field was when Pagano was was DC.
It's like when we wanted Kruger to be a OLB when he was clearly a down DE, he lost weight and focused his whole rookie year on playing standup LB, then we wanted him to be a 5T so he gained weight again and only saw the field in base packages, then we FINALLY molded the package to fit our personnel and he just played with a hand in the dirt as much as possible at a natural weight and he flourished, same happened with McPhee but injuries played a big part with him. I think that's happening with correa too.

Although based on how excited and happy pees is about having Timmy, I'm thinking he might have some real shit in mind for him to rush the passer, he wouldn't be as giddy as he is if harbs was forcing the issue on him being a true LB

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Is not Daryl Washington a free agent?? I don't think his offenses were anything violent that I'm aware of. He is 30 but not banged up. B4 his marijuana offenses he was all pro level. Once he gets back in game shape he should be elite again. He has went thru all the testing protocols to get reinstated so you know he is clean. He could really complete our front 7 next to Mosley. He has instincts, is a sure tackler, brings the wood and covers like a safety. With our Dlineman Edge rushers, he and Mosley would really control the hashes and help the secondary. Probably by far the biggest impact ilb option available next to Mosley

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Is not Daryl Washington a free agent?? I don't think his offenses were anything violent that I'm aware of. He is 30 but not banged up. B4 his marijuana offenses he was all pro level. Once he gets back in game shape he should be elite again. He has went thru all the testing protocols to get reinstated so you know he is clean. He could really complete our front 7 next to Mosley. He has instincts, is a sure tackler, brings the wood and covers like a safety. With our Dlineman Edge rushers, he and Mosley would really control the hashes and help the secondary. Probably by far the biggest impact ilb option available next to Mosley

It's not happening. He also has domestic violence in his back ground which is another reason why it's not happening. He hasn't played football for over two years if i'm not mistaken. If a team wanted to take a chance on him they would have done so sooner . I don't think any team has time to wait until he's in shape and etc.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Can you name me the high potential players that do nothing until year 4 and then blew up due to the coaching staff hindering their growth and etc from the start.

The Raven

Veteran
Y not try Bowser next to Mosley? He can cover and his blitzing would be a real weapon

I think the FO and coaching staff has visions of Bowser being Von Miller, and they're stubbornly keeping him on the edge to fulfill that vision, even if his play is more akin to Jamie Collins. If I had it my way (and believe me I did this in Madden :p) Bowser would be at LB next to Mosley. I maintain that it would get the most talent on the field.

Sometimes you just have to get more talent on the field. Bowser is too talented to ride the bench, but with Judon, Suggs, Zadarius, and Tim Williams in the picture, there's a log jam on the edge. Meanwhile, Correa is borderline lost at MLB. Putting Bowser at LB maximizes our personnel in my opinion.

Can you name me the high potential players that do nothing until year 4 and then blew up due to the coaching staff hindering their growth and etc from the start.

I'll start. Paul Kruger, Ryan Jensen, Jah Reid (did very well in KC), John Simon (solid in Houston) and arguably others, like Arthur Jones and Kyle Juszczyk. All of these guys rode the bench or were extremely underused despite showing potential to be solid contributors. To me, Jensen and Kruger are the most egregious issues here.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

Paul Kruger, maybe Jernigan. Not to mention players that may of never hit their potential at all cuz of wanting them more well rounded and not allowed to do what he can already do. It didn't take 4 yrs but lardarius Webb shoulda started as a rookie. Pitts shoulda been a bigger factor b4 he broke out. If Jensen breaks out it shows he shoulda replaced Zuttah last yr and allowed to maul. As opposed to wanting him to drop weight for zone blocking. When he showed vast potential in 2015 as a nasty power blocker

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I think the FO and coaching staff has visions of Bowser being Von Miller, and they're stubbornly keeping him on the edge to fulfill that vision, even if his play is more akin to Jamie Collins. If I had it my way (and believe me I did this in Madden :p) Bowser would be at LB next to Mosley. I maintain that it would get the most talent on the field.

Sometimes you just have to get more talent on the field. Bowser is too talented to ride the bench, but with Judon, Suggs, Zadarius, and Tim Williams in the picture, there's a log jam on the edge. Meanwhile, Correa is borderline lost at MLB. Putting Bowser at LB maximizes our personnel in my opinion.

I'll start. Paul Kruger, Ryan Jensen, Jah Reid (did very well in KC), John Simon (solid in Houston) and arguably others, like Arthur Jones and Kyle Juszczyk. All of these guys rode the bench or were extremely underused despite showing potential to be solid contributors. To me, Jensen and Kruger are the most egregious issues here.

You beat me to it bro lol

And you are spot on about Bowser. Eventually the edge are in the cards but for now should find a way to get him into the game. He could get close to 10 sacks from inside I think. He is similar to Collins but a better blitzer than Jamie Collins.The dude needs to be in games

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Y not try Bowser next to Mosley? He can cover and his blitzing would be a real weapon
I've said this before, but believe Bowser should play the Jamie Collins role. We haven't seen it in preseason, but it doesn't mean that it won't happen during the regular season. Bowser is too talented to pigeon hole at either wlb or Sam

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I've said this before, but believe Bowser should play the Jamie Collins role. We haven't seen it in preseason, but it doesn't mean that it won't happen during the regular season. Bowser is too talented to pigeon hole at either wlb or Sam
Well, like we were discussing, let's let him do what he does best at least for his first year before trying to give him to much roles. He's doing terrific right now, let's not fast forward his learning time too much. But I agree, given time he could play any LB position, heck he could be a SS if he wanted to. I'd just like to see him mature his skillset before diversifying it.