• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Humphrey and Williams Pick: I'm Digging Them-You?

flynismo

Practice Squad
Ok.. I've rewatched the film a tonne and i'm feeling a bit better. Is he the safest CB prospect? No..there were safer guys. But yes, for a cover 2 hes the best corner in this draft.

Needs to work on his technique and adding 8 pounds of muscle before the season starts would also help his physicality in 50/50 balls.

Eight pounds is a very specific number...why eight pounds?

We don't run a ton of cover 2, but we do run a lot of different bracket coverages, so same thing, more or less...either way he's getting help over the top.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Eight pounds is a very specific number...why eight pounds?

We don't run a ton of cover 2, but we do run a lot of different bracket coverages, so same thing, more or less...either way he's getting help over the top.
we do run a lot of cover 2 though, we just adjust it a bit to allow our shutdown cb to handle his side of the field. If jimmy ends up deep and it turns into a cover 3 then that's whatever, but we like to have both safeties and the #2 and slot corners assigned to a cover 2 concept, and having Eric weddle he was allowed to freelance according to the look the offense gave.

It's a cover 2 concept adjusted for the talent we have that allows us to be more flexible depending on the situation

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ok.. I've rewatched the film a tonne and i'm feeling a bit better. Is he the safest CB prospect? No..there were safer guys. But yes, for a cover 2 hes the best corner in this draft.

Needs to work on his technique and adding 8 pounds of muscle before the season starts would also help his physicality in 50/50 balls.
Sometimes the initial reaction is the best reaction. agree, he's the best cover 2 cb in this draft class and boy can he bring it. He's tough as nails makes quick reads and rarely gives up much yac. He really knows how to tackle and the don't teach tackling in the NFL. They only allowed to tackle in practice once per week, according to the cba...smh

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sometimes the initial reaction is the best reaction. agree, he's the best cover 2 cb in this draft class and boy can he bring it. He's tough as nails makes quick reads and rarely gives up much yac.

I know people would have snoozed at this pick but as you remember I was a forrest lamp guy, as in the first round, I like as SURE of a prospect as possible even if it's not a spectacular pick. For me there is a much higher chance of forrest lamp being all All Pro linesman than humphrey an all pro corner, not that humphrey can't be one or that he needs to be one, I'd be happy with a jimmy smith standard type.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I know people would have snoozed at this pick but as you remember I was a forrest lamp guy, as in the first round, I like as SURE of a prospect as possible even if it's not a spectacular pick. For me there is a much higher chance of forrest lamp being all All Pro linesman than humphrey an all pro corner, not that humphrey can't be one or that he needs to be one, I'd be happy with a jimmy smith standard type.
Big Forrest Lamp guy. I certainly wouldn't have minded drafting him at 16. Didn't think we would for the sheer fact that Ozzie has never drafted any ol that wasn't a LT in the first round. Not saying it's right or wrong, but we've typically done very well drafting lineman.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Big Forrest Lamp guy. I certainly wouldn't have minded drafting him at 16. Didn't think we would for the sheer fact that Ozzie has never drafted any ol that wasn't a LT in the first round. Not saying it's right or wrong, but we've typically done very well drafting lineman.
Actually, the Ravens did draft a guard, Ben Grubbs, in the first round. Though that was like ten years ago.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Sometimes the initial reaction is the best reaction. agree, he's the best cover 2 cb in this draft class and boy can he bring it. He's tough as nails makes quick reads and rarely gives up much yac. He really knows how to tackle and the don't teach tackling in the NFL. They only allowed to tackle in practice once per week, according to the cba...smh

As good as Goose and Eluemunor I think will be (sorry Sammy) I would have really liked Forrest Lamp or even Cam Robinson.

As for Humphrey I don't see us running strictly cover 2 to mask all his weaknesses. Besides on cover 2 you have to intercept a WR crossing into your zone and find football simultaneously. Not sure he can do that. PFF has him graded as a safety. I mean if he is a great safety fine. But that puts us needing cornerback again. Should have doubled down on cornerback. And taken one at Wormley pick.

I would preferred a WR at Wormley pick but if we are ignoring our offense why not double up on cornerback in the event Humphrey sucks worse at cornerback and has to play safety. I don't care if he does although that's not what we drafted him for. But let's be prepared with a doubling down on cornerbacks. So if he is a safety we have a top end cornerback to play beside our all pro safety tandem of Jefferson Humphrey

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
As good as Goose and Eluemunor I think will be (sorry Sammy) I would have really liked Forrest Lamp or even Cam Robinson.

As for Humphrey I don't see us running strictly cover 2 to mask all his weaknesses. Besides on cover 2 you have to intercept a WR crossing into your zone and find football simultaneously. Not sure he can do that. PFF has him graded as a safety. I mean if he is a great safety fine. But that puts us needing cornerback again. Should have doubled down on cornerback. And taken one at Wormley pick.

I would preferred a WR at Wormley pick but if we are ignoring our offense why not double up on cornerback in the event Humphrey sucks worse at cornerback and has to play safety. I don't care if he does although that's not what we drafted him for. But let's be prepared with a doubling down on cornerbacks. So if he is a safety we have a top end cornerback to play beside our all pro safety tandem of Jefferson Humphrey

TBH, the only WR's i wanted badly were C.Davis and Mike Wiliiams. I'm not a john ross fan. The rest is all a crapshoot. I'd rather trade for proven WR's or The top WR free agents. This FO can't draft a WR to save their lives and always would seem to select the wrong one, esp in the later rounds..

I'd be very happy if we traded our 2nd for sammy watkins who is still only 23 .

Same, that kids a future All Pro

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I really like the picks. After Sidney Jones tore his achilles, after Lattimore, IMHO Humphrey was the next best CB. He reminds me a lot of Jimmy Smith. Williams seems to have his priorities straight now. I like that he says it it is time step up for his daughters. Hopefully he means what he says, because he has a lot of potential.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I really like the picks. After Sidney Jones tore his achilles, after Lattimore, IMHO Humphrey was the next best CB. He reminds me a lot of Jimmy Smith. Williams seems to have his priorities straight now. I like that he says it it is time step up for his daughters. Hopefully he means what he says, because he has a lot of potential.
I would've taken tredavious white over Humphrey, and in the second I think both Witherspoon and awuzie would've been better values, but I'm ok with Humphrey.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
TBH, the only WR's i wanted badly were C.Davis and Mike Wiliiams. I'm not a john ross fan. The rest is all a crapshoot. I'd rather trade for proven WR's or The top WR free agents. This FO can't draft a WR to save their lives and always would seem to select the wrong one, esp in the later rounds..

I'd be very happy if we traded our 2nd for sammy watkins who is still only 23 .
Watkins is no guarantee either and like Jimmy, he can't stay on the field.

Many people think the same way you think regarding our front office drafting WR. First the only two receivers we have drafted in thr first two rounds since Flacco was drafted are Perriman and Torrey Smith. Torrey was pretty good and I believe Perriman will be a very good receiver as well. Now we don't know what will happen with Perriman, but he came on strong last year. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with a training camp under his belt.

I would have liked Carlos Henderson in the 3rd or even Ford instead of Clark. However I do like Wormley and feel he is going to step right in as a starter and surprise many of us as well.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I would've taken tredavious white over Humphrey, and in the second I think both Witherspoon and awuzie would've been better values, but I'm ok with Humphrey.
In regards to Awuzie and Witherspoon, hindsight is 20/20, you don't know if they will be there with our 2nd round pick. I think Witherspoon is raw, but has amazing potential. My god that wingspan is huge.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i just re-watched the tim williams tennessee film because football wont hurry up and just be here already and it was amazing the number of times that if tim williams didnt make a play then marlon humphrey would in stead - i really think as a combo they are a great duo of bama guys to have - as a pairing they really are growing on me - in pure talent terms i think we got 2 top 16 guys here who complement each other really well