• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Humphrey and Williams Pick: I'm Digging Them-You?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
the assess marlon humpf topic got raised in the head coaching change thread so thought we'd resurrect it here. sami has hit on several of the humpf problems. and jacko of course is waiving the ozze/humpf banner, chargin into the fray with it. was devastated by the pic but realize its par for the course recently and hope it influences the systemic correction we've been in need of the last 5 years.

so hero or goat humpf is gonna make us a marvelous story this next year and a half. think he could play strong safety, but he ain't no corner.
wish we couldve moved up to take lattimore.. i hope hump does turn out nice, but he lacks cb traits that cant be taught.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
wish we couldve moved up to take lattimore.. i hope hump does turn out nice, but he lacks cb traits that cant be taught.

yeah, agree entirely. starting to think ozze just goes with mel kiper and Alabama connections. kipper somehow had humpf rated the number 2 corner. we had so many choices when we took him too. the negatives are outstanding. obviously he's ok if he keeps the play in front of him, that's why we may get residual value at safety, but being the last line of defense with him is not a good position either.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
like what?
Instincts bro. He simply doesnt know when to get his head around nor does he ever anticipate when the ball will be thrown! When i start seeing him jump routes thats when i will give him credit for improvement! Im not like most people here who hype guys up cause of one good game. Only thing that matters is consistency. getting one cvg sack or one int thrown directly to you doesnt make you a future star

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Instincts bro. He simply doesnt know when to get his head around nor does he ever anticipate when the ball will be thrown! When i start seeing him jump routes thats when i will give him credit for improvement! Im not like most people here who hype guys up cause of one good game. Only thing that matters is consistency. getting one cvg sack or one int thrown directly to you doesnt make you a future star
Lol he does jump routes. How do you think he breaks up passes before they're caught or blows up screens before they break 1 yard?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
You can't argue with ignorance. Don't bother.
Thats ignorance ? Seeing things differently? You are the same people who thought flacco was gonna some how be a good qb this year lol. The same ones who thought twest was gonna be able to carry the load. People were even saying that weddle and jefferson were better than earl and kam lol. So is that considered ignorance too? Or is it that most people here are blinded by their fandom?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Lol he does jump routes. How do you think he breaks up passes before they're caught or blows up screens before they break 1 yard?
Oh, youre talking about the raiders game when everytime the ball was caught on him it was directly in his face lol cmon man.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Thats ignorance ? Seeing things differently? You are the same people who thought flacco was gonna some how be a good qb this year lol. The same ones who thought twest was gonna be able to carry the load. People were even saying that weddle and jefferson were better than earl and kam lol. So is that considered ignorance too? Or is it that most people here are blinded by their fandom?
If you can quote me on any of that, I'll admit I was wrong, but good luck.

And it's not ignorance to see things differently; it's ignorance to see things completely wrong essentially for the sake of dissent.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
The only corner who had more instincts than Humph was Conley. Quincy was up ther too. But that's it. Instincts is one of Humphrey's most underappreciated aspects.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
as proven by TNF vs the chiefs last night
His pushoff cost them the super bowl lol. If he left jimmy alone and didn't engage the contact and then shove him to the ground with a double stiff arm to the facemask, then jimmy gets an easy holding call there.

He was getting chest to chest with Humphrey and fucking benchpressing him, 2 hands full extension shoving him back multiple yards. I still don't understand how he didn't have every catch called back against Humphrey

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Like i said after watching further film and seeing humphrey in the first few games this year, he's going to be a v.good corner in this league. Will he be a special all pro type? probably not BUT he's def worthy of a few pro bowls. Like i said, he reminds me of carlos rodgers.

He's well in the prince amukamara, carlos rodgers, jimmy smith bracket

he's a good player. Like i said, this isn't matt elam or perriman.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
yeah, agree entirely. starting to think ozze just goes with mel kiper and Alabama connections. kipper somehow had humpf rated the number 2 corner. we had so many choices when we took him too. the negatives are outstanding. obviously he's ok if he keeps the play in front of him, that's why we may get residual value at safety, but being the last line of defense with him is not a good position either.
Most teams had Humphrey as their #1 or #2 ranked corner. He wasn't as high on analysts' boards throughout the process. I don't see negatives at all yet to his play... He has played shut down all season thus far. The 2-3 catches that Crabtree had on him were all push offs and likely would've been called in other games. Crabtree is one of the most physical receivers in the league and knows how to get away with pushing.