• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Soccer

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
One of the worst refereeing displays I’ve seen for a while lol - VAR only works if you use it and the people making decisions have the ability to use their heads - rugby has made refereeing incredibly transparent - you hear the decisions and discussions about replay in real time and you hear them talk to each other and the players also in real time - as a result you have a higher level of trust and respect from fans, coaches, players and the officials themselves...

Thought the ref was spot on for the most part. All credible shouts for a penalty are thrown out of the window once the player decides to dive 3 yards in the opposite direction to where the contact was leading. Finally we saw a ref that had the balls to punish players for play acting which resulted in one being sent off for mouthing off immediately after.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Thought the ref was spot on for the most part. All credible shouts for a penalty are thrown out of the window once the player decides to dive 3 yards in the opposite direction to where the contact was leading. Finally we saw a ref that had the balls to punish players for play acting which resulted in one being sent off for mouthing off immediately after.

agree to disagree i suppose - in my view he got decisions wrong in pivotal moments and didn't refer when he could have - and the most crucial aspect was that he completely lost control of the game

do you really not even think the willian one was a pen?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And just like that, Liverpool in 3rd place now.

haha - i think this might have been the chelsea game that gets conte sacked before the start of next season - the players obviously dont want to play for him and the board obviously doesnt want to bring in quality players for him to use - my hope is that whatever civil war is going on behind the scenes doesnt mean chelsea lose hazard this summer...

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
agree to disagree i suppose - in my view he got decisions wrong in pivotal moments and didn't refer when he could have - and the most crucial aspect was that he completely lost control of the game

do you really not even think the willian one was a pen?

The annoying thing for me lately in football is the fact that players are on their way to the ground before any type of contact is being made and then once contact is inevitably made it's somehow deemed a penalty or a free kick. If a player stays on his feet and the contact has taken him to ground then fair enough but half the time this isn't the case. Also, not all contact should result in a free kick or penalty. We seem to be heading that way though.

I really don't think the Willian incident was a penalty. The defender's leg is there before Willian arrives, Willian jumps with both feet over the defender's leg, plants a foot on the ground and then just collapses.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The annoying thing for me lately in football is the fact that players are on their way to the ground before any type of contact is being made and then once contact is inevitably made it's somehow deemed a penalty or a free kick. If a player stays on his feet and the contact has taken him to ground then fair enough but half the time this isn't the case. Also, not all contact should result in a free kick or penalty. We seem to be heading that way though.

I really don't think the Willian incident was a penalty. The defender's leg is there before Willian arrives, Willian jumps with both feet over the defender's leg, plants a foot on the ground and then just collapses.

i agree philosophically but in practice that's not how the league goes - my problem is more that its not refereed equally at all - and i know this will sound like sour grapes but i feel like chelsea are unfairly judged on penalty appeals compared to other teams... i see no evidence that chelsea "dive" more than other teams yet we are penalised far more often for it and we have "false" dives called on us more often too...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Liverpool back where they belong! Finally.

Roma knocks Barca out. Wow.

i mean tbh im not that surprised by roma over 2 legs... coming back from 4-1 down after the first leg is definitely a surprise but they dominated chelsea in the group who should have beaten barcelona in their first leg tie and who capitulated in the 2nd leg...

roma are a really strong side

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i mean tbh im not that surprised by roma over 2 legs... coming back from 4-1 down after the first leg is definitely a surprise but they dominated chelsea in the group who should have beaten barcelona in their first leg tie and who capitulated in the 2nd leg...

roma are a really strong side
How is beating Chelsea in group stages a sign that team should succeed vs Barcelona? They are arguably top 2-3 European team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How is beating Chelsea in group stages a sign that team should succeed vs Barcelona? They are arguably top 2-3 European team.

i meant after watching what chelsea did vs barcelona in that first leg - im not talking the result because obviously it was a 1-1 draw but it shouldnt have been

thats all i meant by the comparison... roma in the groups in performance dominated a team that while it was not competitive in the scoreline was dangerous and at times much better than barcelona when they played each other in the round of 16

all im saying is that roma is an under-the-radar very good team and so it didnt surprise me that over 2 legs they would overcome barcelona who looked underwhelming in the round before vs a team that roma looked overwhelming against

Inqui

Pro Bowler
I think Newcastle will do remarkably well to finish mid table. The squad really doesn't look good enough. A potential defence of Darlow, Yedlin, Lascelles, Clark & Dummett could ship a ton of goals if Rafa doesn't work his magic. If the team is organised enough though then I guess anything can happen.
We ended up finishing 10th so I'm more than happy with that. Though if Rafa continues to get treated the way he has this season I could see him rage-quitting after his contract expires at the end of next season. Also Sunderland did what they said they'd do and get out of the Championship in their first season. Lol.

Also I believe this is the first year in history every team that got promoted has stayed up - that includes the teams from League 1 up to the Championship and so on, even the teams that got promoted from the Conference stayed up. Rather remarkable.

Tank

Hall of Famer
We ended up finishing 10th so I'm more than happy with that. Though if Rafa continues to get treated the way he has this season I could see him rage-quitting after his contract expires at the end of next season. Also Sunderland did what they said they'd do and get out of the Championship in their first season. Lol.

Also I believe this is the first year in history every team that got promoted has stayed up - that includes the teams from League 1 up to the Championship and so on, even the teams that got promoted from the Conference stayed up. Rather remarkable.
Lol.....yeah the Black Cats will have the nicest stadium in League 1. Congrats to Newcastle.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler

And you did remarkably well to do so considering the lack of investment from Mike Ashley. I read a small statement made by Mike Ashley yesterday regarding future investment. and it was basically a copy and paste job from every other season. He even had the nerve to make it about him. Rafa HAS to be given money.

Yeah, that's some huge achievement. I think a few teams even managed back to back promotions (I'd have to look at that though to be sure).