• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 Edge Draft Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He seemed to have a lack of understanding, like no matter his motor he often failed to finish the play. His ceiling was always very apparent to me but I didn’t see consistent finishing until that Oklahoma tape

i guess im seeing a lot more holding calls and holds in general in the rest of his tape than you - im seeing pressures in lots of situations
in terms of lack of understanding do you mean like play recognition or like having a pass rush plan type stuff?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i guess im seeing a lot more holding calls and holds in general in the rest of his tape than you - im seeing pressures in lots of situations
in terms of lack of understanding do you mean like play recognition or like having a pass rush plan type stuff?
Pass rush plan, I felt like he always just attacked with speed and push and didn’t really grasp what he had to do to finish the play

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Pass rush plan, I felt like he always just attacked with speed and push and didn’t really grasp what he had to do to finish the play

ok i see what you mean - but ive seen some promising signs in other games - seen a nice spin move, some swims inside stuff like that to go along with his more natural bend the edge type rush - ill see if he uses any speed-to-power type rushes in any of the other tape

just really really think this is a player who can come in and win a starting job day 1 and be impactful while also having a really high ceiling

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I like anae, I tried really hard to like okwara but I just can’t, scouring reports say he’s a great edge bender but I just don’t see it, he looks stiff, he’s got that weird hunch in his shoulders and his back always seems to completely straight and he just doesn’t seem to bend well, and he doesn’t offer much other than a speedy edge rush. Didn’t like Zuniga at all.

when watching chaisson you might come away unimpressed but you’ll feel like you’re watching an entirely different player on his Oklahoma tape

oh man i really dont like bradlee anae - he's stiff, not particularly athletic, looks cumbersome - he looks overly big and yet for someone his size his power gets neutralised so easily - saw him get washed out of plays so much, very low number of effective rushes in all the tape ive seen so far - has some dominant highlights but not that many to be honest

he had that 1 sack against USC where it was a beautiful example of bend, attacking the outside shoulder, using his hands, dominating with power, using his length etc.

but it seemingly came out of nowhere - only saw 1 other rep that looked anything like it on that USC tape - honestly came away more impressed with the LT Austin Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
oh man i really dont like bradlee anae - he's stiff, not particularly athletic, looks cumbersome - he looks overly big and yet for someone his size his power gets neutralised so easily - saw him get washed out of plays so much, very low number of effective rushes in all the tape ive seen so far - has some dominant highlights but not that many to be honest

he had that 1 sack against USC where it was a beautiful example of bend, attacking the outside shoulder, using his hands, dominating with power, using his length etc.

but it seemingly came out of nowhere - only saw 1 other rep that looked anything like it on that USC tape - honestly came away more impressed with the LT Austin Jackson
Weird, I recall seeing some nice bend from anae

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Weird, I recall seeing some nice bend from anae

he clearly has the ability to at least sometimes - just does it so infrequently and rushes so upright and stiff most of the time

what's worrying is that ive got through 8 of the supposedly better edge rushers so far and the talent has already fallen off a cliff - i really hope there's some significant gems i havent got to because this edge class looks like it's both weak at the top and has no depth either... not done any filmstudy yet but it looks like it might be the same with DL too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
what im seeing from okwara so far is that he's so raw - has the athletic gifts to be a decent pass rusher and has really nice bend but doesnt know how to use his hands at all - so passive with his hands - doesnt club or rip or do anything with them except push... he's a liability in the run game but he does flash pretty consistently as a pass rusher but his hands seem to stop him getting finishes or qb hits that often - very much a work in progress as an edge rusher and seems lost in coverage and gets bullied in the running game

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he clearly has the ability to at least sometimes - just does it so infrequently and rushes so upright and stiff most of the time

what's worrying is that ive got through 8 of the supposedly better edge rushers so far and the talent has already fallen off a cliff - i really hope there's some significant gems i havent got to because this edge class looks like it's both weak at the top and has no depth either... not done any filmstudy yet but it looks like it might be the same with DL too
I don’t like this edge class, so I’m with you there, the DL class has looked pretty solid to me though. Gallimore, kinlaw, Davis, murchison, and some others I can’t think of atm are all rock solid prospects, with all having stupid high ceilings, honestly gallimore is my favorite prospect for us

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t like this edge class, so I’m with you there, the DL class has looked pretty solid to me though. Gallimore, kinlaw, Davis, murchison, and some others I can’t think of atm are all rock solid prospects, with all having stupid high ceilings, honestly gallimore is my favorite prospect for us

with DL i should have been more clear - looks like it has zero depth at all

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
right im gonna do 3 more and then move onto a completely different position (probably wr)

anyone have any thoughts on Zack Baun, Marlon Davidson and Kenny Willekes?
Zach Baun: explosive, bendy, off-ball ability. Undersized, zero hands, raw in general.

marlon Davidson: gigantic for an edge, but moves pretty damn well, don’t consider him explosive enough to play edge in nfl, make him a rotational guy between the 5 and 3

Kenny willekes: explosive, bendy, super twitchy hands and feet, natural disengager, has the makings of a real technician of a rusher, nonstop motor. Unimpressive play strength, but not a liability there. Overall a really underrated rusher imo

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Alex Highsmith out of charlotte is intriguing - you can tell he's a small school player sometimes and at other times he looks pretty refined mentally especially in the running game - inconsistent - flashes athleticism and has a decent spin move up his sleeve to go with some pure speed rushes and also a power rush

will possibly need to bulk up a little in the nfl but not crazily - really promising prospect though

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Alex Highsmith out of charlotte is intriguing - you can tell he's a small school player sometimes and at other times he looks pretty refined mentally especially in the running game - inconsistent - flashes athleticism and has a decent spin move up his sleeve to go with some pure speed rushes and also a power rush

will possibly need to bulk up a little in the nfl but not crazily - really promising prospect though
I watched his highlight tape the other day, interesting player.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
All invites for SB have been sent, someone would have to drop out

do we know everyone who got an invite? i thought we only knew everyone who'd accepted one...
and tbf every year there are drop outs anyway - pretty sure there's normally someone who off the back of the east-west game gets picked up to fill in a spot at the senior bowl

i just want to see him work against some decent competition - he has the tape against clemson but its hard to draw many conclusions from that tape

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
do we know everyone who got an invite? i thought we only knew everyone who'd accepted one...
and tbf every year there are drop outs anyway - pretty sure there's normally someone who off the back of the east-west game gets picked up to fill in a spot at the senior bowl

i just want to see him work against some decent competition - he has the tape against clemson but its hard to draw many conclusions from that tape
There was a list of all invites posted some time ago by Matt Miller/Conor Rogers but you might be right, could have been just confirmed ones.