• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 Edge Draft Thread

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of Zach Baun, Edge Wisconsin. He has been mocked to us in the Athletic.

This is what they said in the Athletic write-up but I haven't watched any film yet

28. Baltimore Ravens — Zack Baun, LB, Wisconsin
Baun’s unique skill set is an interesting fit in Don Martindale’s defense. He was a dynamic pass rusher at Wisconsin, finishing second behind Young in the Big Ten in sacks and tackles for loss. Baun projects best as an off-ball linebacker capable of covering in space or blitzing from various angles.

I've been mentioning him quite a lot and like the preview says definitely an off the ball LB who is very quick and plays great coverage. I wasn't thinking 1st rd but that might be where you have to get him. A tradeback would be even better tho. Check him out and while you're at it Chris Orr an ILB is worth a look too.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He is nice player but no way he is a first round guy.
I wish we draft real edge rusher(s) and let Wink show us his real scheme, not this craziness with small guys blitzing all the time.
appreciate it as I have watched very little film to this point.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I've been mentioning him quite a lot and like the preview says definitely an off the ball LB who is very quick and plays great coverage. I wasn't thinking 1st rd but that might be where you have to get him. A tradeback would be even better tho. Check him out and while you're at it Chris Orr an ILB is worth a look too.
thanks, I'll definitely check out Orr.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of Zach Baun, Edge Wisconsin. He has been mocked to us in the Athletic.

This is what they said in the Athletic write-up but I haven't watched any film yet

28. Baltimore Ravens — Zack Baun, LB, Wisconsin
Baun’s unique skill set is an interesting fit in Don Martindale’s defense. He was a dynamic pass rusher at Wisconsin, finishing second behind Young in the Big Ten in sacks and tackles for loss. Baun projects best as an off-ball linebacker capable of covering in space or blitzing from various angles.

quick guy who's a bit thin but decent body type for 3-4 OLB - really nice get-off and decent general level of athleticism - looks like a really nice 4-3 OLB to me though - he's so stiff as a rusher and its remarkable how many time you see his sacks coming from going the long way round or being slow-developing type deals - high effort guy, really great in pursuit, showed the ability to fill well from off-the-line as a LB in the running game and also shown the ability to squeeze down in the running game too - some decent ability to cover in space too

would absolutely hate to pick him at 28 though - he's not so far shown to me that he's a great pure edge rusher which is what his primary job would have to be on this defence to justify picking him in the 1st - he's only a fit here if we like him blitzing from the WLB spot or if we want to do absolutely tons of deceptive blitzing (which we do a lot of already) but im not sure he adds huge value coming off the edge with regularity

rossihunter2

Staff Member

chris orr jumped out to me on the zack baun tape too - was seeing him make plays and had to look up whether he was draft eligible

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I love being able to find players that way and have done it multiple times.

there are some other guys where they've popped off on someone else's tape and ill look them up thinking ive found a gem and then find out that they're expected to be a top 15 pick type player or at least a top 50 player lol - first time that happened it turned out it was derrick brown, the 2nd time it turned out to be Austin Jackson and recently happened with kenneth murray too

but i guess that's what happens when you dont watch a huge amount of college games during the season

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Alex highsmith has a lot of upside. He’s got the absolute ideal build, and he FLIES off the ball, plays with power, plays with speed, super quick change of direction, twitchy all around, not the most flexible bender but isn’t stiff either.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Baun reminds me a lot of Tyus Bowser only with less explosion. Both seemed like they would be better in a 4-3 defense.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm just starting to watch tape at all positions. I must be lacking inspiration because I'm getting four minutes into most of the mid/late round one/two edge guys...seeing holes and saying, " next". Can someone give me an edge guy who you think is ready to go at 28? I haven't had much patience in watching these guys and am starting to do my usual thing of convincing myself about some late round prospect or " find";)
For example: Kenneth Murray and Deandre Swift jump out...what edge guy outside the top ten jumps out?
Thanks

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm just starting to watch tape at all positions. I must be lacking inspiration because I'm getting four minutes into most of the mid/late round one/two edge guys...seeing holes and saying, " next". Can someone give me an edge guy who you think is ready to go at 28? I haven't had much patience in watching these guys and am starting to do my usual thing of convincing myself about some late round prospect or " find";)
For example: Kenneth Murray and Deandre Swift jump out...what edge guy outside the top ten jumps out?
Thanks

my favourite guy to watch was K'Lavon Chaisson - dont know if he's one of the guys you've watched already - his college playoff tape is pretty great - and i thought he was pretty good in some of the other games too (not great vs the run though)
im also not a fan of most of this edge class - but if you want to see a truly dominant stretch watch AJ Epenesa move inside for the final couple of drives vs minnesota

as for who jumps out - i dont think there is anyone - on my board right now there's Chase Young at the top (obviously) and then a massive gap all the way down towards the end of the 1st early 2nd where there's a clump of 4 guys - it's a really weak class and not one where you want to be needing an edge rusher - the more i watch this class the more i start to understand that we have to get someone in free agency or maybe even two someones

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
my favourite guy to watch was K'Lavon Chaisson - dont know if he's one of the guys you've watched already - his college playoff tape is pretty great - and i thought he was pretty good in some of the other games too (not great vs the run though)
im also not a fan of most of this edge class - but if you want to see a truly dominant stretch watch AJ Epenesa move inside for the final couple of drives vs minnesota

as for who jumps out - i dont think there is anyone - on my board right now there's Chase Young at the top (obviously) and then a massive gap all the way down towards the end of the 1st early 2nd where there's a clump of 4 guys - it's a really weak class and not one where you want to be needing an edge rusher - the more i watch this class the more i start to understand that we have to get someone in free agency or maybe even two someones
Thanks Rossi! Haven't checked him out yet. I'll get on it

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Thanks
Not an edge guy, but Javon Kinlaw would be a steal imo at 28. His Alabama tape was pretty good and he has the size and length to finally give us some production from the 5-tech

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah my bad, I got my gaps mixed up. I see him playing a similar role to Brent Urban only with more of a pass rush presence.
Brent urban played a bit of both, but he was the prototype 5tech.

think Aaron Donald, Grady Jarrett, Gerald McCoy, Geno Atkins. Guys who make their money by penetrating quickly and living in the backfield.