• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 Edge Draft Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Went back to the Curtis Weaver tape to double check what i saw from him - and im still not sure i understand the hype around him - like there's nothing he has in his tool box that excites me at all - just feels very average tbh

ive had the chance to watch the washington tape and if anything his grade has gone down not up

i just dont see what some of you are seeing...
Bend, balance, flattening the edge, play strength, natural finisher, first step, most consistent producer of sacks and pressures maybe in the nation for 3 years straight.

not sure what there is to miss. Only knock is high end athleticism which isn’t a huge deal to me, it’s about how fast you get past the blocker to the qb, not how fast you run.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So the only game Greenard didnt take over at times as a pass rusher was the Georgia game where he was up against a likely top 10 pick in Andrew Thomas... Like am i crazy for thinking Greenard should be at least in the conversation with those later 1st round edge guys?
He dominated senior bowl practice and if I’m not mistaken he used that exact move there as well(it may have been marlon Davidson but I definitely feel like greenard was the one)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bend, balance, flattening the edge, play strength, natural finisher, first step, most consistent producer of sacks and pressures maybe in the nation for 3 years straight.

not sure what there is to miss. Only knock is high end athleticism which isn’t a huge deal to me, it’s about how fast you get past the blocker to the qb, not how fast you run.

im seeing him with decent get off ill give you that but i dont see the burst that should come with that and i dont see enough bend or flexibiility (albeit he's got decent ankle flexion) to make up for the lack of athleticism to run the arc and turn the corner which is mostly what he tries to do - i like it when he counters inside and he looks good with his hands there - im seeing him beat up against awful competition (7 of his sacks came in 2 games against awful teams) - he got absolutely stonewalled in the washington game by contrast - he gets skinny well when he moves inside and he's got decent precise hands too but he just seems to be lumbering around when he doesnt win with his first step - i just dont see the high ceiling or the high floor that would make me comfortable with taking him anywhere particularly high in this draft

he's currently EDGE #13 on my board

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
im seeing him with decent get off ill give you that but i dont see the burst that should come with that and i dont see enough bend or flexibiility (albeit he's got decent ankle flexion) to make up for the lack of athleticism to run the arc and turn the corner which is mostly what he tries to do - i like it when he counters inside and he looks good with his hands there - im seeing him beat up against awful competition (7 of his sacks came in 2 games against awful teams) - he got absolutely stonewalled in the washington game by contrast - he gets skinny well when he moves inside and he's got decent precise hands too but he just seems to be lumbering around when he doesnt win with his first step - i just dont see the high ceiling or the high floor that would make me comfortable with taking him anywhere particularly high in this draft

he's currently EDGE #13 on my board
Man I just firmly disagree on the bend part lol, I see excellent bend from him and consistently

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rossihunter2 & @JoeyFlex5 I agree with Joey on Weaver in that he has nice get off and I think he brings some nice elements but for me he’s a second-third round pick. He’s solidly around a 3rd round grade for me but I could see taking him with our second depending on some things. With that said, I just can’t elevate him or other edge guys that high because of how good other positions are in this class. I do think Weaver is in the top 10 edge defenders in this class; however, that’s more of an indication of the weak class than excellence from him. I do like him and think he’s a better prospect than Correa, Bowser & Tim Williams

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Kendall Coleman from Syracuse is a potentially interesting day 3 prospect - lacks burst and lacks good hand usage but has moments of really nice penetrating bend around the edge - conceptually seems to be decent in the run too but just not developed

this EDGE class has basically no depth in day 3 from what i can see so far so anyone with any type of plus skillset could be interesting - he's got some nice bend and some explosion (albeit not a great first step) and has shown flashes - in this class that's seemingly a lot

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Trevis Gipson is a really interesting prospect out of Tulsa - could even potentially sneak into day 2 if he tests well - he's got good burst albeit he's often late off the snap but i think that looks to me like he's just bad at timing the snap because he explodes past tackles - not sure what to make of it (going from Gipson to a rewatch of Highsmith is wild in how different their snap timings are)

i currently have an early day 3 grade

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rossihunter2 got me watching Greenard.
On the whole he reminds me a lot of Suggs. Watch the Tennessee tape in particular. That swatting of hands to get by. Stack and shed...play recognition and strength at the point of attack. I think he sort of fits what we look for as much as anyone Ive seen at OLB. Really, I mean to me, Epenesa is a nice fit for us at DE and Greenard is that guy that screams "Raven" to me at outside linebacker. It is not all that close either (though I really like Kareem out of Notre Dame).
He does most everything good to very good. Good hustle, physical, play maker. I would say he isn't great at change of direction, he's a little slow when compared to electric...he isn't particularly bendy and frequently struggles to get flat at the top of his rush...his spin move is a mess but at least he's working it. He even has a spin/reverse spin. I like his inside and swim and his power at swatting hands Ala Suggs.
I think he's my favorite OLB in range.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 got me watching Greenard.
On the whole he reminds me a lot of Suggs. Watch the Tennessee tape in particular. That swatting of hands to get by. Stack and shed...play recognition and strength at the point of attack. I think he sort of fits what we look for as much as anyone Ive seen at OLB. Really, I mean to me, Epenesa is a nice fit for us at DE and Greenard is that guy that screams "Raven" to me at outside linebacker. It is not all that close either (though I really like Kareem out of Notre Dame).
He does most everything good to very good. Good hustle, physical, play maker. I would say he isn't great at change of direction, he's a little slow when compared to electric...he isn't particularly bendy and frequently struggles to get flat at the top of his rush...his spin move is a mess but at least he's working it. He even has a spin/reverse spin. I like his inside and swim and his power at swatting hands Ala Suggs.
I think he's my favorite OLB in range.

Chase Young is clearly the top guy in the class - but outside of him (and maybe even including him tbh) Greenard's my favourite EDGE prospect in the class - he's got good burst combined with his hand usage (and i do think he bends pretty well even if i wouldnt say it's his calling card) - obviously they arent all NFL talents but i think he's still clearly in almost all cases more athletic than the guy across from him too

he just seems to me like he has all the tools to become a technician in the NFL

we're months away from the draft but i already can tell he's going to be one of those pound the table guys for me

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Chase Young is clearly the top guy in the class - but outside of him (and maybe even including him tbh) Greenard's my favourite EDGE prospect in the class - he's got good burst combined with his hand usage (and i do think he bends pretty well even if i wouldnt say it's his calling card) - obviously they arent all NFL talents but i think he's still clearly in almost all cases more athletic than the guy across from him too

he just seems to me like he has all the tools to become a technician in the NFL

we're months away from the draft but i already can tell he's going to be one of those pound the table guys for me
Did you know he was playing with a high ankle sprain for the second half of the season, including Georgia? He hurt it in the Auburn game, missed I think half and then missed LSU and I believe South Carolina. Georgia would have been his first game back.

Yea, he is a guy that really grows on you every time you watch him. Love how he holds up on the edge. I don't have confidence in a lot of the OLB prospects in that regard. A lot that are getting a ton more run too. I haven't seen him inside anyones top 50. I really doubt a guy like that makes it to our second round pick.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Did you know he was playing with a high ankle sprain for the second half of the season, including Georgia? He hurt it in the Auburn game, missed I think half and then missed LSU and I believe South Carolina. Georgia would have been his first game back.

Yea, he is a guy that really grows on you every time you watch him. Love how he holds up on the edge. I don't have confidence in a lot of the OLB prospects in that regard. A lot that are getting a ton more run too. I haven't seen him inside anyones top 50. I really doubt a guy like that makes it to our second round pick.

He might be down a little for some people because of a broken wrist in 2018 but honestly he’s well inside my top 50 lol

Was an odd process for me getting to him because I wasn’t blown away during senior bowl practices but he showed a few things in the 1v1s that put him on my list and I’d watched a load of edge guys and thought I was getting to the dregs where I was deciding where I would grade guys between 6th round and udfa grades and then up pops greenard and it was a breath of fresh air

Charm City

Pro Bowler
UPDATE:

I have finally got through every single name on every list i could find at EDGE:
29 names on the board - 3 players undraftable for grading reasons - 1 player not graded because he has no tape
so 25 draftable players - 13 prospects with day 2 or higher grades
Where do you have Bryce Huff. I was watching his Cincinatti tape and his first step and motor at times was some of the best I've seen in my limited EDGE evaluations. He also seemed to set the edge pretty well against a read-option style offense. I'd take a 5th-7th round flyer on him as a project

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Where do you have Bryce Huff. I was watching his Cincinatti tape and his first step and motor at times was some of the best I've seen in my limited EDGE evaluations. He also seemed to set the edge pretty well against a read-option style offense. I'd take a 5th-7th round flyer on him as a project

i think there's a chance he goes higher than the 5th - he's so physical taking on blockers in the running game - he doesnt use his hands well when rushing the passer and is pretty one note there - much of his success against cincinatti was against TEs which is frustrating but then again he was dominant against Ole Miss and Penn St...

he's got some pop when he initiates contact and he's pretty violent with his hands to get off blocks etc. got lots of tools that will help him in the NFL

i like him as a physical guy in the run game setting the edge and he has some tools he can develop as a pass rusher - im surprised that he doesnt seem to have been invited to the combine...

Charm City

Pro Bowler
i think there's a chance he goes higher than the 5th - he's so physical taking on blockers in the running game - he doesnt use his hands well when rushing the passer and is pretty one note there - much of his success against cincinatti was against TEs which is frustrating but then again he was dominant against Ole Miss and Penn St...

he's got some pop when he initiates contact and he's pretty violent with his hands to get off blocks etc. got lots of tools that will help him in the NFL

i like him as a physical guy in the run game setting the edge and he has some tools he can develop as a pass rusher - im surprised that he doesnt seem to have been invited to the combine...
In terms of not having many rush moves against Cinci, it seemed like his lower body is pretty weak. He'd try to dip and when he'd get under the pad level of the tackle he was pushed into the ground or bent completely over. I agree though, he has some tools that can be put to use in the NFL