• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 Edge Draft Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes but I need to watch more.
My first takes on him are that he's probably played corner at some point in his life. seems to have high level understanding of zone drops and is pretty good at pattern match man type coverage out of zone. Looks very athletic with superior want to.
My concern is probably size. He seems to get engulfed by big tackles at times while rushing. I thought he was a little stymied at times with a sort of go to club without a counter.
Have to see more of him taking on blocks. He's actually so quick that he sometimes makes a guy across from him whiff at the line and gets in the backfield for a tackle for loss. ( 4 minute mark at Auburn).
I almost never watch highlight videos but I didn't have a true understanding of how versatile he is off the edge until I did. He's a playmaker Raven type and he has the ability to get flat, speed off the edge, pretty nice spin. needs to add counters, Id say. I'm starting to like the thought of him....he puts me in the mind of Tyrann Matthieau in a strange way as far as his presence on field if that makes sense.
Been geeking on Khalid Kareem a bit.

did you get to any of the playoff tape - i liked him before those games but as @JoeyFlex5 has said before it really feels like it all just started to click for him in that oklahoma game - feels like he steps it up there - you're right though about being engulfed by tackles at times and i dont love him in the running game - seems to just lose sight of the ball at times and lose the edge partly because of that

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I really like what I’ve watched of Curtis Weaver. He’s not at all like Correa from what I’ve seen so far. He can get off blocks, rounds the edge, and can explode fast. That said, he’s a Boise State defender and those guys worry me.
I used to have that issue with Ole Miss players until watching a ton of tape on DK and AJ Brown last offseason.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I used to have that issue with Ole Miss players until watching a ton of tape on DK and AJ Brown last offseason.
Yeah, I mean they did give us Lawrence after all and he’s been really good. I like what I’ve seen from Weaver. He may be a really nice get for us honestly. Not sure where he is ranked but I could see 2nd round pick due to his athleticism and speed.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, I mean they did give us Lawrence after all and he’s been really good. I like what I’ve seen from Weaver. He may be a really nice get for us honestly. Not sure where he is ranked but I could see 2nd round pick due to his athleticism and speed.
and Tunsil has come around outside of his penalties. That being said, the only other offensive skill position player was Evan Engram up until DK and AJ Brown.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
2019 WR class was so much better than ever anticipated. Lets hope the 2020 class can live up to the hype.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
did you get to any of the playoff tape - i liked him before those games but as @JoeyFlex5 has said before it really feels like it all just started to click for him in that oklahoma game - feels like he steps it up there - you're right though about being engulfed by tackles at times and i dont love him in the running game - seems to just lose sight of the ball at times and lose the edge partly because of that
Ive only found about three minutes from that game. A sort of Chaisson highlight type reel. I didn't get to see the game or a more extended replay. I like the player. Still concerned about his size a little.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I really like what I’ve watched of Curtis Weaver. He’s not at all like Correa from what I’ve seen so far. He can get off blocks, rounds the edge, and can explode fast. That said, he’s a Boise State defender and those guys worry me.
I love weaver, a lot of folks(including posters here) think he’s too unathletic for the NFL, but I don’t see it, he gets off the ball at a good clip and he does it consistently, like it’s not a snap jump or a timing thing he just has that sprinters start

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I love weaver, a lot of folks(including posters here) think he’s too unathletic for the NFL, but I don’t see it, he gets off the ball at a good clip and he does it consistently, like it’s not a snap jump or a timing thing he just has that sprinters start
Unathletic? Really? I may need to watch more of him because the games I watched I thought he was super fast and athletic and got off blocks, unlike Correa. I was pretty impressed by him overall. Weaver, Gross-Matos, Chaisson we’re guys I liked. I kinda seem them all as 2nd-3rd round pick though. We’d likely need to take them with our 2nd due to how low of a pick it is. None of these edge rushers outside Young are complete game changers but they all bring nice traits.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ive only found about three minutes from that game. A sort of Chaisson highlight type reel. I didn't get to see the game or a more extended replay. I like the player. Still concerned about his size a little.

it is my big concern with him - i love a lot of his tape but there are too many plays where as you said in your earlier post - he just gets engulfed and overwhelmed by the bigger human lined up across from him at tackle

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Unathletic? Really? I may need to watch more of him because the games I watched I thought he was super fast and athletic and got off blocks, unlike Correa. I was pretty impressed by him overall. Weaver, Gross-Matos, Chaisson we’re guys I liked. I kinda seem them all as 2nd-3rd round pick though. We’d likely need to take them with our 2nd due to how low of a pick it is. None of these edge rushers outside Young are complete game changers but they all bring nice traits.

i dont think most of those guys are making it to the end of the 2nd round just because of the lack of depth in the class - teams are going to reach on a lot of these guys

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont think most of those guys are making it to the end of the 2nd round just because of the lack of depth in the class - teams are going to reach on a lot of these guys
I really disagree. You will have some teams who reach but I do think teams are generally taking guys at decent value at times now. There are some outliers; however, I don’t think they will be taken before WRs will go, for instance. Yes, there’s a need to get an edge defender for a lot of teams but I think the likelihood of teams reaching is a bit less. That doesn’t mean I think teams won’t reach but it means I think less teams will and as a result they’ll go after better prospects.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really disagree. You will have some teams who reach but I do think teams are generally taking guys at decent value at times now. There are some outliers; however, I don’t think they will be taken before WRs will go, for instance. Yes, there’s a need to get an edge defender for a lot of teams but I think the likelihood of teams reaching is a bit less. That doesn’t mean I think teams won’t reach but it means I think less teams will and as a result they’ll go after better prospects.

i just think its such a premium position and the class has so little depth that there's going to be a run on edge guys and i think it might even start towards the end of round 1 - but i dont think gross-matos or chaisson will be available at our 2nd round pick tbh - think they're long gone - honestly think they might be gone before our 1st round pick

Last edited:

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i just think its such a premium position and the class has so little depth that there's going to be a run on edge guys and i think it might even start towards the end of round 1 - but i dont think gross-matos or chaisson will be available at our 2nd round pick tbh - think they're long gone - honestly think they might be gone before our 1st round pick
Maybe, maybe not. We’ll see how their stock changes after the combine but I’ve found stock rarely changes from the end of season to draft day except some rare exceptions. Then you have the surprise guys go higher than expected, so you could be right. You also have a lot of guys going where you expected them to go too. We may also have to trade up in the 2nd round to get one, or take one with our 1st. We’ll definitely have the chance to get them IMHO.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I forgot to mention but I could definitely see Gross-Matos go earlier than our first. I think he may be second off the board after Young. He’s a very dynamic pass rusher and I’ve been impressed by what he brings. He’s kinda like Za’Darius Smith on steroids. He’s got elite potential as an edge defender and could really bring a major element to our defense. He’s probably my favorite pick for us atm for the first round. I like him better than all Edge defenders outside Young. His run defense is pretty scary good, and he has good get off and can use his hands well. I see all his traits translating to the next level. He needs a bit of work in coverage but he can sniff those screens and seems to do well there. He looks like a potential top-15 pick.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe, maybe not. We’ll see how their stock changes after the combine but I’ve found stock rarely changes from the end of season to draft day except some rare exceptions. Then you have the surprise guys go higher than expected, so you could be right. You also have a lot of guys going where you expected them to go too. We may also have to trade up in the 2nd round to get one, or take one with our 1st. We’ll definitely have the chance to get them IMHO.

not that his word is gospel but id say its pretty striking that DJ has chaisson going in the top 15 in his first mock draft - i dont think that's realistic but its indicative of where, right now, DJ perceives his value range

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
not that his word is gospel but id say its pretty striking that DJ has chaisson going in the top 15 in his first mock draft - i dont think that's realistic but its indicative of where, right now, DJ perceives his value range
Matt Miller has him and Terrell Lewis around our pick, fwiw.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Chaisson might have the most upside and natural ability of the guys I've watched. He's athletic but pretty raw Id say. He has some pass rush moves and raw speed off the edge but only one at a time. He really has no plan about a counter when stymied at all. His club move is pretty ineffective and he seems to be thinking at times when using any sort of counter.
it is my big concern with him - i love a lot of his tape but there are too many plays where as you said in your earlier post - he just gets engulfed and overwhelmed by the bigger human lined up across from him at tackle
Another thing I notice is that although he has a few ways to get home, he has zero counters. If he is shutdown at first, he is done. Any stringing together of moves looks clumsy at this point.
I also notice Texas running four straight (yes 4 in a row) counters to his side with him as the end man and it doesn't matter who they have kicking him, he looks at a loss for how to take on the kick out.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Chaisson might have the most upside and natural ability of the guys I've watched. He's athletic but pretty raw Id say. He has some pass rush moves and raw speed off the edge but only one at a time. He really has no plan about a counter when stymied at all. His club move is pretty ineffective and he seems to be thinking at times when using any sort of counter.

Another thing I notice is that although he has a few ways to get home, he has zero counters. If he is shutdown at first, he is done. Any stringing together of moves looks clumsy at this point.
I also notice Texas running four straight (yes 4 in a row) counters to his side with him as the end man and it doesn't matter who they have kicking him, he looks at a loss for how to take on the kick out.
I’ve watched about 3 of his [Chaisson] games and I firmly have him as a 2nd-3rd round pick. I wouldn’t pick him with our first round pick and I’m adamant about that unless something significantly changes my mind.
Matt Miller has him and Terrell Lewis around our pick, fwiw.
He has a great Raven name and I want to like him but that dude scares me with his injury history.