• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 ILB Draft Thread

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I have seen DJ's top 50 board and he has Jeremy Chinn now listed as LB. I don't know anything about him. His combine # look like he's a lesser version of Simmons: 4.45 40; 41" Vertical; 11'6 Broad Jump.
You seem to have watched a couple of LBs, so there might be chance you can tell me more about him.
OK so Jeremy Chinn is NOT a LB. Not a full time one at least. You take Chuck Clark, you give a world of athleticism and you remove a good half of his brain and you get Jeremy Chinn.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Troy Dye looks a safe bet and would be very happy if he was our 2nd or 3rd round pick ( although i think we'd need to trade up to the early 3rd round to get him)
if he thrilled to land Dye and also agree he probably wouldn't be available with out 1st 3rd round pick. He may not have the upside of Queen, but he'll be a very good player

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is it weird that Logan Wilson is going to be higher on my board than Kenneth Murray?

no
it's not.

What's horrible is that murray is going to be our pick

DeCosta '' He's fast, he's sideline to sideline, we got our guy...as you know we love Oklahoma''.

Cringe

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just guessing but I bet The Ravens watched The Steelers Devin Bush last year and decided we need one of those. now Murray doesn't read and react like Bush....yet? and he isn't the ball hawk type coming out of college, but Murrays athleticism is eye popping and he does play with abandon and violence. As far as intangibles such as leadership, desire, passion and work ethic, he apparently represents well in those areas.
Im also not sure the new DC at Oklahoma did him a lot of favors, changing his role almost weekly and charging him with essentially the backfield.

You have to keep him clean right now and pair him with a down hill Mike. he has fundamental things that need work but this LB class is not good folks. There are some mid round guys I like but none without their own problems. I bet the FO feels it is such an extreme need and that no one outside of round one measures up.
Im just saying, he looks like the pick for certain if he's there.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
if he thrilled to land Dye and also agree he probably wouldn't be available with out 1st 3rd round pick. He may not have the upside of Queen, but he'll be a very good player
Its funny. I did a rating of six linebackers...5 from this class and Otaro Alaka. I rated them 1-6 in these categories:
hit and shed
tackling
processing and reaction
the Line of scrimmage and filling
athleticism
coverage
intangibles

Dye was not as I recall ever the first LB but I believe he was 2nd in most or all...might have had him 3rd in one of these...have to go back and look and possibly reevaluate. My point I guess is that I was surprised how good he was ( to my mind at least) in so many of the above categories.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Its funny. I did a rating of six linebackers...5 from this class and Otaro Alaka. I rated them 1-6 in these categories:
hit and shed
tackling
processing and reaction
the Line of scrimmage and filling
athleticism
coverage
intangibles

Dye was not as I recall ever the first LB but I believe he was 2nd in most or all...might have had him 3rd in one of these...have to go back and look and possibly reevaluate. My point I guess is that I was surprised how good he was ( to my mind at least) in so many of the above categories.

for me he's one of the few guys who would be able to step in and start straight away at mike - lots of other guys who could do that or be impactful wills off the bat but for me the guys who are going to make an impact early in that mike spot for the ravens would be troy dye and malik harrison... maybe to a lesser extent logan wilson too...

but there's obviously a trade-off in some places for potential - i think dye is the guy who treads that line of immediate impact + some ceiling to work towards

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thinking about Davis -Gaither for us.

Hes a guy that can do alot of the stuff that chuck does as Dime LB...maybe a little more and maybe a little better enabling Chuck to play traditional S roles a little more.
gather is great in zone...can cover man. super smart and is physical. perhaps you keep Alaka and Gaither on the field as a tandem much more downs 1-3. Or in passing situations rotate on occasion Chuck to Dime LB and bring Akeem off the edge. He's an actual pass rusher with burst and bend and hands to win inside as well. he isn't just a typical blitzing backer so the mixed looks we might offer with a LB as flexible as he is are intriguing to me.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thinking about Davis -Gaither for us.

Hes a guy that can do alot of the stuff that chuck does as Dime LB...maybe a little more and maybe a little better enabling Chuck to play traditional S roles a little more.
gather is great in zone...can cover man. super smart and is physical. perhaps you keep Alaka and Gaither on the field as a tandem much more downs 1-3. Or in passing situations rotate on occasion Chuck to Dime LB and bring Akeem off the edge. He's an actual pass rusher with burst and bend and hands to win inside as well. he isn't just a typical blitzing backer so the mixed looks we might offer with a LB as flexible as he is are intriguing to me.
what round do you think Davis-Gaither would go in and what round would you like us to draft him?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
what round do you think Davis-Gaither would go in and what round would you like us to draft him?
I might be off but I see him as a 2. perhaps with our 2nd in the 2nd assuming we don't go ILB earlier. I think most think of him as a 3. To me, he's a guy that will out play his draft slot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I might be off but I see him as a 2. perhaps with our 2nd in the 2nd assuming we don't go ILB earlier. I think most think of him as a 3. To me, he's a guy that will out play his draft slot.

i think his grade is going to be higher than where he's taken - i really like him and yet he never really makes it higher than the top 70(ish) spots on my board - the depth of this class in the early rounds is really strong

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I got the impression that most of us aren't high on Murray. Where do you rank him?
I've got...
1. Simmons 2. Queen 3. Davis-Gaither 4. Murray 5. Gay 6. Wilson 7. Brooks 8. Bailey 9.Harrison

Last edited:

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think Murray has the 3rd highest ceiling and for all LBs and hes really the only guy outside of Queen and Simmons who could go RD1 because of his elite traits. I do however think Dye and Harrison are safer prospects for day 2 of the draft

1. Simmons
2. Murray
3. Harrison
4. Dye
5. Davis-Gaither
6. Gay
7. Wilson

Reactions: cdp

flynismo

Practice Squad
I may have to change my tune on Murray. I’ve watched some of his games more than his highlights and the championship games and I was a bit underwhelmed. I see some of the issues people mentioned and may have to agree with @Sami84 & @allblackraven in that I don’t think I’d take him in the first at all. He’s a low end 2nd round pick who I may drop due to talent at other positions reducing his value. He has phenomenal athleticism but so did Perriman. As for tackling being something that can be fixed, let’s ask Matt Elam that question. This guy reminds me a lot of Elam in that the the tackling could continue to be a problem.

I'm not sure that I ever felt as disgusted as I did the night I heard Elam's name called.

Obviously there is a lot of luck involved in draft picks working out, but I just do not get NFL teams sometimes, because certain players are CLEAR busts but get taken in the 1st anyway (guys like Manziel and Aaron Maybin for example, those two are first to come to mind).

Due to his position and draft spot, he never got the hype most 1st rounders get, but he is up there with the most obvious "what the hell are you thinking" players. Elam just had far too many red flags; I think we just got too fascinated with his athleticism (which wasn't even that great) and the fact that he filled a need.
Then we followed that up with the Arthur Brown pick, which both you and I liked, and man, what a miserable draft lol. But I mention Brown because while he did come with a couple question marks, it wasn't anything we thought that couldn't be fixed with some quality coaching; Brown in my opinion was an example of taking a shot on a solid player but the breaks just didn't go our way. Whereas Elam just screamed "BUST".

I guess this was a roundabout way of saying that I agree with your final thought. Any time I hear about a WR with iffy hands or a LB or safety that can't tackle, that immediately relegates them to Day 3 status at best, and possibly undraftable, depending on who the player is. Technique can be improved and refined with coaching, which in turn makes a player more effective / productive. But when they cannot perform the basics that their position calls for (accurate passing / catching a ball / tackling), it is just a huge turn off and red flag. Certainly not something I would rely on being "coached up".

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
rumors have it that several teams have Jordyn Brooks as the 2nd best ILB after Simmons.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
As much as Jordyn Brooks is getting latter part of the first round buz, and some teams have him as the 2nd best ILB in this class, I don't see us taking him. He's awful in zone and has never taken a step backwards and although he is an great downfield backer and has excellent tackling technique and can be used a spy, just as he was vs. Oklahoma on Jalen Hurts. I'm not sure why teams have him as the 2nd best LB. I'd rather the team draft someone like Malik Harrison, Troy Dye or Logan Wilson.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
for me he's one of the few guys who would be able to step in and start straight away at mike - lots of other guys who could do that or be impactful wills off the bat but for me the guys who are going to make an impact early in that mike spot for the ravens would be troy dye and malik harrison... maybe to a lesser extent logan wilson too...

but there's obviously a trade-off in some places for potential - i think dye is the guy who treads that line of immediate impact + some ceiling to work towards
How do you feel on Malik Harrison?