• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Anyone saying, or even merely suggesting, that Dobbins is not at the very least a top 15-20 RB and a possible product of the system are not just wrong, but they’re dumb in their thinking. If anything, he was held back by it. If you noticed, every single time one of the RBs got into a rhythm they were immediately taken out of the game. Which not only stops them from putting up the numbers they are fully capable of, but also caused them to get back out of rhythm, AKA getting them out of their “zone”. So stop. Please just stop.
We had a 1000 yard rusher, a 700+ yard rusher, and dobbins himself put up 800, and he did it with his first 6 games getting 7, 2, 1, 5, 1, and 9 carries. He didn’t get double digit carries until week 7, and even after that still split a ton of carries with gus and Lamar.

If dobbins had been the workhorse from week 1 he would’ve had a real shot to come within a few spots of the rookie rushing record, 1500 yards at the rate he was running wasn’t unfathomable at all.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
We had a 1000 yard rusher, a 700+ yard rusher, and dobbins himself put up 800, and he did it with his first 6 games getting 7, 2, 1, 5, 1, and 9 carries. He didn’t get double digit carries until week 7, and even after that still split a ton of carries with gus and Lamar.

If dobbins had been the workhorse from week 1 he would’ve had a real shot to come within a few spots of the rookie rushing record, 1500 yards at the rate he was running wasn’t unfathomable at all.

Agreed. And put him behind what should be an improved line along with receivers who may be able to finally open the field up a little bit, and you see him putting up showtime stats if he was used as a workhorse. We know that won’t be the case as Gus is pretty damn good too

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m gonna make a bold prediction here…

ardarius Washington will be the reason we let deshon Elliott walk and he will be a high level starter for us for years to come. He was a day 2 talent, and the second best safety in the class behind Richie grant, and I will die on that hill. I just brushed up on some of his tape last night and I still can’t believe he went Undrafted

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m gonna make a bold prediction here…

ardarius Washington will be the reason we let deshon Elliott walk and he will be a high level starter for us for years to come. He was a day 2 talent, and the second best safety in the class behind Richie grant, and I will die on that hill. I just brushed up on some of his tape last night and I still can’t believe

Nah brah

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
What is it that you disagree with, from his post.

The fact that Washington will not be the one who forces Elliott out. I think there’s a decent chance of him walking, but I don’t agree that it’ll be because Washington balls out. He might be part of the depth, making us deep enough at the position to let him go, but Washington will not be a star in his rookie year if he even sees the field

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The fact that Washington will not be the one who forces Elliott out. I think there’s a decent chance of him walking, but I don’t agree that it’ll be because Washington balls out. He might be part of the depth, making us deep enough at the position to let him go, but Washington will not be a star in his rookie year if he even sees the field
well it is a bold prediction. I'm a huge fan of Washington and with every pick we had from the 3rd round to the end of the draft, I was hoping we would've have drafted him. Glad we nabbed him in the end.

Last edited:

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
well it is a bold prediction. I'm a huge fan of Washington and with every pick we had from the 3rd round to the end of the draft, I was hoping we wouldn't would've drafted him. Glad we nabbed him in the end.

Good depth player for sure

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He doesn’t have to be a star his rookie year, just has to look competent. Elliott looked competent and that gave us comfort moving on from earl thomas.

if Elliott can do that, Washington can as well.

and Washington looks to be much better than good depth. Simply put he is the closest thing I’ve seen to Matthieu since he came out, and if he was 2 inches taller he is a second rounder. Teams are scared of shorter dbs and that’s the entire reason he went Undrafted. He does not have Undrafted tape, he has fringe first round tape and Undrafted size.

Elliott damn sure didn’t have nfl starter film, yet here we are.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
He doesn’t have to be a star his rookie year, just has to look competent. Elliott looked competent and that gave us comfort moving on from earl thomas.

if Elliott can do that, Washington can as well.

and Washington looks to be much better than good depth. Simply put he is the closest thing I’ve seen to Matthieu since he came out, and if he was 2 inches taller he is a second rounder. Teams are scared of shorter dbs and that’s the entire reason he went Undrafted. He does not have Undrafted tape, he has fringe first round tape and Undrafted size.

Elliott damn sure didn’t have nfl starter film, yet here we are.

It wasn’t a choice to let go of ET. We essentially had to. When you basically assault the captain of the defense, you will lose the locker room if you just go along with it. Elliott had never been known to be healthy for a full 16 games so not exactly comforting. With that out of the way, Washington is not as fast as Tyrann. He’s an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter than him coming out of college. Tyrann went up against elite competition in college being in the SEC. Washington would definitely be a feel good story but it’s not like every single team effed up for 7 rounds by not drafting Washington. In a generally overall weaker class than we’re used to seeing

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It wasn’t a choice to let go of ET. We essentially had to. When you basically assault the captain of the defense, you will lose the locker room if you just go along with it. Elliott had never been known to be healthy for a full 16 games so not exactly comforting. With that out of the way, Washington is not as fast as Tyrann. He’s an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter than him coming out of college. Tyrann went up against elite competition in college being in the SEC. Washington would definitely be a feel good story but it’s not like every single team effed up for 7 rounds by not drafting Washington. In a generally overall weaker class than we’re used to seeing
Every single team fucks up for 5-6-7 rounds every single year. And why thomas was let go is beside the point, Thomas was let go, and we did nothing to address it and rolled with a 6th rounder in his third season where the first 2 seasons were spent on ir. That captain of the defense earl thomas assaulted, another 6th round pick. The ravens have had an absolute fuckload of Undrafted and R6 guys come in and be not just starters but very good players, many of them showing out as early as their rookie seasons.

there was a reason the ravens signed Washington for more than what is typically offered to UDFAs, they coveted him. Also, the one inch and ten pound difference is another thing that’s beside the point, the whole point is that smaller dbs fall but smaller dbs have proven themselves capable in this league time and time again, that one inch is the deal breaker? In reality it’s an arbitrary benchmark teams set for their prospects, and these arbitrary benchmarks are why pro bowlers go in day 3 every year.

and a “weaker” draft class isn’t necessarily the right way to put it either, it’s more about a draft lead up process where there were much more uncertainties than any other year, so question marks about a prospect are more likely to get them removed from teams boards, because teams were unable to meet guys in person to potentially alleviate any concerns they may have had.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Every single team fucks up for 5-6-7 rounds every single year. And why thomas was let go is beside the point, Thomas was let go, and we did nothing to address it and rolled with a 6th rounder in his third season where the first 2 seasons were spent on ir. That captain of the defense earl thomas assaulted, another 6th round pick. The ravens have had an absolute fuckload of Undrafted and R6 guys come in and be not just starters but very good players, many of them showing out as early as their rookie seasons.

there was a reason the ravens signed Washington for more than what is typically offered to UDFAs, they coveted him. Also, the one inch and ten pound difference is another thing that’s beside the point, the whole point is that smaller dbs fall but smaller dbs have proven themselves capable in this league time and time again, that one inch is the deal breaker? In reality it’s an arbitrary benchmark teams set for their prospects, and these arbitrary benchmarks are why pro bowlers go in day 3 every year.

and a “weaker” draft class isn’t necessarily the right way to put it either, it’s more about a draft lead up process where there were much more uncertainties than any other year, so question marks about a prospect are more likely to get them removed from teams boards, because teams were unable to meet guys in person to potentially alleviate any concerns they may have had.

I still feel very strongly about my stance. Washington was passed up by 32 teams, for all 7 rounds, in a passing league where teams are also putting extra focus on anyone who can stop the pass. Hell, he wasn’t even the very last pick where teams who pick last are just basically throwing the pick away for lottery, especially in a weak draft year. It’s ok. Washington will never be more than a backup but he’ll be a solid one. Never a starter, or a worthy starter that is.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I will say this though about Washington. I may very well eventually be proven wrong and I hope I am. Washington fared much better than Tyrann Mathieu at everything in terms of testing results except his 40 time. Washington will be a solid depth guy, possibly a decent starter, but I have my own doubts about that

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I still feel very strongly about my stance. Washington was passed up by 32 teams, for all 7 rounds, in a passing league where teams are also putting extra focus on anyone who can stop the pass. Hell, he wasn’t even the very last pick where teams who pick last are just basically throwing the pick away for lottery, especially in a weak draft year. It’s ok. Washington will never be more than a backup but he’ll be a solid one. Never a starter, or a worthy starter that is.
I’ll just ask you this, have you watched his film?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was tripping about this too but then i actually looked and its not too far off.. other than them putting the rookie rbs over him, its not all that bad. Oh and antonio gibson was also ahead of him lol.. to me, i think he is a better back than jonathan taylor but at same time idk if he and gus are just products of our system..

if he was purely a product of the ravens system then why was mark ingram not going off before he took over?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

yes but you've got to look at the specifics - for a lot of teams he missed the size and testing benchmarks and thus was undraftable

it's about no teams wanting to risk a pick on him not teams thinking he had bad tape

he may turn into nothing - but his tape suggests there's at least a reasonable chance he becomes a starter at safety or better... especially in a split-safety type system (which a lot of the league runs at the moment)

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
yes but you've got to look at the specifics - for a lot of teams he missed the size and testing benchmarks and thus was undraftable

it's about no teams wanting to risk a pick on him not teams thinking he had bad tape

he may turn into nothing - but his tape suggests there's at least a reasonable chance he becomes a starter at safety or better... especially in a split-safety type system (which a lot of the league runs at the moment)

You absolutely cannot tell me for 7 rounds, all 32 teams including us thought he wasn’t worth a shot as worthy of a pick if anyone thought he had starter chances even down the road.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You absolutely cannot tell me for 7 rounds, all 32 teams including us thought he wasn’t worth a shot as worthy of a pick if anyone thought he had starter chances even down the road.

day 3 is about upside and testing and small schools and character risks etc. - it's a "scouts day"
im surprised no one took a shot - but he was on the Ravens board... we just didnt have a pick after round 5 - there's a reason we gave him so much bonus money for a udfa to pick us even though we're stacked at DB

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Bullshit. Stop downplaying the ravens so hard, you try way too hard to not sound like a homer to the point that you justify that bullshit. He led the league in YPC with >6 and hit 800 rushing yards and 9 TDs despite being in a 4 man rotation for half the season and only getting an increased workload late in the year.

Dobbins rookie performance was nothing short of absurd, he deserves bare minimum top 20 and that’s being generous to pff, and there damn sure shouldn’t be a single rookie ahead of him.
I dnt try to not sound like a homer.. im really not.. never have been with any of my favs.. dobbins and gus are great runners for sure but its much easier to succeed in our offense when defenses are freezing because they dnt know if lamar getting the ball..

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Bullshit. Stop downplaying the ravens so hard, you try way too hard to not sound like a homer to the point that you justify that bullshit. He led the league in YPC with >6 and hit 800 rushing yards and 9 TDs despite being in a 4 man rotation for half the season and only getting an increased workload late in the year.

Dobbins rookie performance was nothing short of absurd, he deserves bare minimum top 20 and that’s being generous to pff, and there damn sure shouldn’t be a single rookie ahead of him.
I think he is top 20 also but thats not far off from 26 lol like i mentioned..i believe that list also involve pass catching, unless you are just really great like henry