• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Getting Peters is still probably my favorite move that EDC has made on this team. We haven't had a ballhawk of this caliber since Reed left and I also love it when Peters is out there talking trash lol
When people talk about peters being a freelancer and ballhawk but not a real cover corner, I just point them to ravens vs Texans 2019. Him and Hopkins had such an awesome matchup, physical and fiery and peters absolutely took the win on that one.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
When people talk about peters being a freelancer and ballhawk but not a real cover corner, I just point them to ravens vs Texans 2019. Him and Hopkins had such an awesome matchup, physical and fiery and peters absolutely took the win on that one.
I love Nuk but I loved watching MP clap in his face and Nuk smiling lol

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yeah, Peters doesn't get enough credit for being a really good cover corner. I would say the only thing he doesn't do extremely well is tackle, but even his tackling is solid when he actually goes for it (he had a particularly nasty tackle in the Titans playoff game IIRC). And that Hopkins matchup was fun to watch; they were both going at each other, but you could tell that it was in good fun.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, Peters doesn't get enough credit for being a really good cover corner. I would say the only thing he doesn't do extremely well is tackle, but even his tackling is solid when he actually goes for it (he had a particularly nasty tackle in the Titans playoff game IIRC). And that Hopkins matchup was fun to watch; they were both going at each other, but you could tell that it was in good fun.
Deion Sanders wasn't a great tackling corner either. It certainly doesn't take away from him being one of the best to play the position.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I love Nuk but I loved watching MP clap in his face and Nuk smiling lol
That shit was awesome lol, love watching 2 greats face off like that and really bring the hype, and it was all in good fun too. Big respect between the two was obvious.
Lmfao literally just said this in the response above before I read this

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree man, I’m not entirely sure Humphrey is the better corner as blasphemous as it sounds, I really like peters’ skill set and he’s got the attitude to be a great corner, and he’s gonna be a great defender as long as he’s playing, because he doesn’t lean on any athleticism, he’s just so damn skilled and heady. Yeah he gets fooled at times and sometimes it can be ugly, but he’s nothing shy of elite imo.

I wouldn’t wanna put him at safety now, but he’s as ideal a corner as I’ve ever seen to transition when he loses a step.

i think they play the position about as differently as 2 guys can while still playing at a high level
ive spoken about it before but marlon's often given harder assignments (manning up in the slot, being asked to play press and lots of trail coverage type stuff and peters is put in spots that give him opportunities to make plays on the ball - lots of shallow zones with the ability to be aggressive and take risks with a safety behind him

i agree about his eventual transition though

what they both have in common though is their intelligence and film study

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
In no way shape or form has elliot ever been close to Et during any stage of his career lol.. when we first signed Et, i knew he wouldnt play up to par for us like he did with hawks and even then... he is still better than both our guys..

That right? Please do tell me how ET in 2019, as a Raven, is overall “sooo muchhh” better than DeShon…

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
That right? Please do tell me how ET in 2019, as a Raven, is overall “sooo muchhh” better than DeShon…
Tbh, i dnt even wanna go there.. elliot and clark arent as good as our fan base think theyre.both them are likely in the 30-32 range if we were to rank safties. Once one of them lose their job or get let go, thats when the real energy about them when show like always..

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Tbh, i dnt even wanna go there.. elliot and clark arent as good as our fan base think theyre.both them are likely in the 30-32 range if we were to rank safties. Once one of them lose their job or get let go, thats when the real energy about them when show like always..
They're competent safeties. That's all I ask of them at the very least. Could we use an upgrade? If it presents itself, sure. We'll see what the deal is with AW.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Run defense: DeShon

Tackling: DeShon

Hustle: DeShon

Leadership: DeShon

Blitzing: equal push

Pass coverage: 2019 ET when he actually played like he gave a damn.

But I get why you don’t wanna go there. Because you’d lose every single time. Especially with the dumbass comment of “oh ET 2019 was far better than both safeties combined!!”

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

But I get why you don’t wanna go there. Because you’d lose every single time. Especially with the [profanity deleted] comment of “oh ET 2019 was far better than both safeties combined!!”
I dnt wanna go there because if you think elliot is better than any year earl, there is nothing i can say. I dnt even know what to say to that..

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
They're competent safeties. That's all I ask of them at the very least. Could we use an upgrade? If it presents itself, sure. We'll see what the deal is with AW.
Ok yea youre right!!! I can agree to this. I just dislike watching games and not seeing our safties around the ball and if theyre its cause theyre getting killed

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I won't lose any sleep if we lose Elliott after the season, but you are underestimating Clark's game and how he keeps everyone together. Is he the best safety, hell no, but he is extremely heady and that's a big part of his game. He's not a ball hawk and that's what you like in a safety.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I won't lose any sleep if we lose Elliott after the season, but you are underestimating Clark's game and how he keeps everyone together. Is he the best safety, hell no, but he is extremely heady and that's a big part of his game. He's not a ball hawk and that's what you like in a safety.
i like clark in run game and his leadership for sure..its just watching games, its always “ where tf is our safties” for me..with our cbs and blitz packages, i feel like our safties should be standing out ..except they arent whatsoever.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

But I get why you don’t wanna go there. Because you’d lose every single time. Especially with the [profanity deleted] comment of “oh ET 2019 was far better than both safeties combined!!”

I don’t really have a horse in this race because I love deshon - but I don’t think it’s honest to say that ET wasn’t clearly the best S on the team in 2019 even when you include the lapses and other stuff

deshon’s a better fit but ET was the better S - there’s a reason that ET was gonna be the starter in 2020 over deshon before he imploded

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i like clark in run game and his leadership for sure..its just watching games, its always “ where tf is our safties” for me..with our cbs and blitz packages, i feel like our safties should be standing out ..except they arent whatsoever.

It is worth pointing out that we move our safeties everywhere and use them differently to other teams

and I think it’s disingenuous to say they don’t stand out because they both play close to the line and are constantly involved with blitzes and coming downhill in the run game

I’d say they’re always one of the first things I see pre-snap on the broadcast especially on 3rd down - I’m always like “there’s chuck”

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think there are quite a few posters here who repeatedly fall for big names who were once elite players, although those players aren’t all that anymore. “Oh it’s ET! Of course he’s better, it’s ET!!” Lmao

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think there are quite a few posters here who repeatedly fall for big names who were once elite players, although those players aren’t all that anymore. “Oh it’s ET! Of course he’s better, it’s ET!!” Lmao
i think 2019 ET is pretty clearly a better on the field player than either of our starting safeties, its just not such a black and white topic, because being a better safety doesnt mean hes the best option. in our defense you simply cannot have your FS freelancing, too much risk in what is essentially a cover 1 defense in its base, and team chemistry is just more important than some people want to admit.