• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Actually what happened in this game is we only rolled with 4 corners because we wanted to rotate our front to shut down the run, and that wasn’t working quite as well as we wanted so we had gassed/hurt corners and the safeties still had to cheat up.

if we had a normal rotation in that game I guarantee those breakdowns don’t happen as frequently as they did. That was a really stupid gameplan to only roll with 4 corners, you stop their run game, and if you get a lead because they can’t run the ball and now they start passing to catch up, then what? Now you’re gassed af and your pass rush isn’t getting home because you have 2 0 techs and 2 more DTs who aren’t much of pass rushers and of course jack shit off the edge.

Honestly with how Campbell and others were doing due to covid/injuries/not having a true offseason to bulk up and learn their positions in NFL terms… I’d say we did the right thing. We couldn’t get gashed by a top 3 backfield tandem by Chubb/Hunt. We thought we could take their receivers, with Odell out. I believe we learned the hard way from the Titans game the year before that if we get smoked by TOP and get down early, then we lose. Especially since our 2019 passing was far better than last year. We would’ve been just fine if Lamar didn’t almost poop himself. Believe we were up by 2 TDs at the time right??

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we're talking about the shootout game from MNF in 2020, I'm not seeing the injuries or COVID impact on defense. In fact, it looks to be pretty much the healthiest we had been in about a month for that game.
hmmm, than I'm remembering it wrong. I seem to recall not being able to play "our" normal defense due to our injuries. I don't think you are right. @Sizzle already pointed it out, so I'm not going to go into it further.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we're talking about the shootout game from MNF in 2020, I'm not seeing the injuries or COVID impact on defense. In fact, it looks to be pretty much the healthiest we had been in about a month for that game.
hmmm, than I'm remembering it wrong. I seem to recall not being able to play "our" normal defense due to our injuries.
Actually what happened in this game is we only rolled with 4 corners because we wanted to rotate our front to shut down the run, and that wasn’t working quite as well as we wanted so we had gassed/hurt corners and the safeties still had to cheat up.

if we had a normal rotation in that game I guarantee those breakdowns don’t happen as frequently as they did. That was a really stupid gameplan to only roll with 4 corners, you stop their run game, and if you get a lead because they can’t run the ball and now they start passing to catch up, then what? Now you’re gassed af and your pass rush isn’t getting home because you have 2 0 techs and 2 more DTs who aren’t much of pass rushers and of course jack shit off the edge.
That was also the game where Peters had to come out for a few snaps and came back, but had an obvious limp. If that is what happened, than yes, that's a stupid game plan.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
hmmm, than I'm remembering it wrong. I seem to recall not being able to play "our" normal defense due to our injuries.

That was also the game where Peters had to come out for a few snaps and came back, but had an obvious limp. If that is what happened, than yes, that's a stupid game plan.

A plan that backfired. But I already detailed the logic behind the plan

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would actually say that’s the most unhealthy defense we had for the entire year. Not only were players out, but several key players were hobbled and/or coming back from covid

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Really? We were down to our fifth string CB and hoped like hell we didn’t have to put Levine in at CB. It was talked about by the broadcasters. Not sure which game you’re thinking of
I didn't account for mid-game injuries, but its not like our guys weren't out there at all.
As I go back and look at the snap counts from that game:
Clark, Elliott and Marlon didn't miss a single snap. Peters only missed four snaps the whole game. So your four best secondary players basically missed almost no time. Now, its possible they were simply playing with injuries, as I do recall Peters getting a little banged up, but they weren't really on the sidelines.
JoeyFlex hit on something, which is that we only dressed four Corners, which was a mistake. Jimmy played sparingly (only 19 snaps), so its possible he got hurt mid-game as well. But the reality is that the roster construction of the game didn't really allow for any in-game injuries, so that's a bigger problem than our guys not being available.

Plus, the original premise I was responding to was about the defense as a whole, not just the secondary. When I look at the front seven, their snap counts were indicative of a largely heavily rotated, fairly healthy group. Queen played 76%, Wolfe played a lot, and Judon/Yannick/Bowser pretty much had a fairly equal rotation.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Not only did he have a limp, we didn’t have someone to step in for him but the coaches weren’t sending him out, he ran out without a play and just fuckin blitzed lmao

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn't account for mid-game injuries, but its not like our guys weren't out there at all.
As I go back and look at the snap counts from that game:
Clark, Elliott and Marlon didn't miss a single snap. Peters only missed four snaps the whole game. So your four best secondary players basically missed almost no time. Now, its possible they were simply playing with injuries, as I do recall Peters getting a little banged up, but they weren't really on the sidelines.
JoeyFlex hit on something, which is that we only dressed four Corners, which was a mistake. Jimmy played sparingly (only 19 snaps), so its possible he got hurt mid-game as well. But the reality is that the roster construction of the game didn't really allow for any in-game injuries, so that's a bigger problem than our guys not being available.

Plus, the original premise I was responding to was about the defense as a whole, not just the secondary. When I look at the front seven, their snap counts were indicative of a largely heavily rotated, fairly healthy group. Queen played 76%, Wolfe played a lot, and Judon/Yannick/Bowser pretty much had a fairly equal rotation.

Fully agree with you on this. However to say our safeties last year did terrible against the Browns in the 2nd game dismisses not only the fact they did their best considering who was in the secondary by mid/late game (which btw, we had the Browns down pretty big before we lost people and Lamar left because he had bowel issues), but also the fact they were better than ET. It was said that ET was far better than both players COMBINED. I’m wondering how anyone can possibly arrive at that idea. DeShon by himself I’d argue was better than 2019 Ravens’ ET, overall speaking

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes lol that shit really happened

Peters was already a 10 in my book… now he’s a RFL 10+ in my book. The dude is extremely passionate about the sport and will do what it takes to be great. He does his share of trash talk but he completely backs it up. He has repeatedly shown up in big games, and when he’s focused, he makes plays look easy. I still say he’s out of position; as a free safety who would be free to roam the field and gamble at times, he would be amazing

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Peters was probably like “hey is this zone?? Ok play your zone… I’m going after this ass wipe”

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Peters was already a 10 in my book… now he’s a RFL 10+ in my book. The dude is extremely passionate about the sport and will do what it takes to be great. He does his share of trash talk but he completely backs it up. He has repeatedly shown up in big games, and when he’s focused, he makes plays look easy. I still say he’s out of position; as a free safety who would be free to roam the field and gamble at times, he would be amazing
I agree man, I’m not entirely sure Humphrey is the better corner as blasphemous as it sounds, I really like peters’ skill set and he’s got the attitude to be a great corner, and he’s gonna be a great defender as long as he’s playing, because he doesn’t lean on any athleticism, he’s just so damn skilled and heady. Yeah he gets fooled at times and sometimes it can be ugly, but he’s nothing shy of elite imo.

I wouldn’t wanna put him at safety now, but he’s as ideal a corner as I’ve ever seen to transition when he loses a step.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Fully agree with you on this. However to say our safeties last year did terrible against the Browns in the 2nd game dismisses not only the fact they did their best considering who was in the secondary by mid/late game (which btw, we had the Browns down pretty big before we lost people and Lamar left because he had bowel issues), but also the fact they were better than ET. It was said that ET was far better than both players COMBINED. I’m wondering how anyone can possibly arrive at that idea. DeShon by himself I’d argue was better than 2019 Ravens’ ET, overall speaking
In no way shape or form has elliot ever been close to Et during any stage of his career lol.. when we first signed Et, i knew he wouldnt play up to par for us like he did with hawks and even then... he is still better than both our guys..

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree man, I’m not entirely sure Humphrey is the better corner as blasphemous as it sounds, I really like peters’ skill set and he’s got the attitude to be a great corner, and he’s gonna be a great defender as long as he’s playing, because he doesn’t lean on any athleticism, he’s just so damn skilled and heady. Yeah he gets fooled at times and sometimes it can be ugly, but he’s nothing shy of elite imo.

I wouldn’t wanna put him at safety now, but he’s as ideal a corner as I’ve ever seen to transition when he loses a step.

Getting Peters is still probably my favorite move that EDC has made on this team. We haven't had a ballhawk of this caliber since Reed left and I also love it when Peters is out there talking trash lol

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
In no way shape or form has elliot ever been close to Et during any stage of his career lol.. when we first signed Et, i knew he wouldnt play up to par for us like he did with hawks and even then... he is still better than both our guys..

People acting like ET was garbage when he played for us, but he was actually one of the highest graded safeties in the league still. As I've said in other posts, ET would still be on this team if not for his piss-poor attitude and off-the-field antics.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I mean I don't buy any of this. ET was a better individual player than both of our current guys, but I also don't think we really lost much, or anything at all, when ET left. ET's style and personality just didn't fit here. Once that occurs, it really doesn't matter how good the player is or not. I spend precisely zero of my time wishing that we had ET back.

In fact, I've said before... I think part of the reason he's not employed right now is because he's not nearly as great of a player as he was, say, 8 years ago. He's a pain in the ass to deal with, but as far as I can tell, he's not been suspended by the league and is free to sign with anybody at any time. And its not like the NFL has shied away from giving super talented players multiple opportunities.

I think a lot of people pretend like 2013 Earl Thomas is still an option for teams. That player doesn't exist anymore. And its perfectly OK to acknowledge that some players aren't as great as they once were.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
People acting like ET was garbage when he played for us, but he was actually one of the highest graded safeties in the league still. As I've said in other posts, ET would still be on this team if not for his piss-poor attitude and off-the-field antics.
Hard sell though, considering I can point to many, many currently employed NFL players who have piss-poor attitudes and significantly worse off-field antics.
I mean how do you reconcile Antonio Brown vs Earl Thomas?
I don't think its about people thinking he was garbage. I think that's just a charade some people put up because they can't find the middle between "great player" and "garbage", especially when the majority of the league operates in that middle.
Its the same question every team asks. Why is this going to help me win games? What's he going to bring on the field that's going to cover for the headaches he's going to give me in the locker room and off the field? And when you ask yourself that question, it becomes incredibly difficult to answer, which is likely why he's not employed and doesn't appear likely to be employed anytime soon. You have to be a difference maker for teams to overlook those other items. Hard to argue he is at this point.