• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
The disrespecting elders thing had a shelf life for me. When I was a kid or a teenager, agreed, it was a complete non-starter to disrespect an older person. Once I became an adult (really not much older than 18) and realized that most of my mom's side of the family, of which all of them would be considered my "elders" were just total trash human beings, I went out of my way to let them know just how trash they were.

One of the personal crowning achievements of my life (I got a wife and kids and I know they're "#1", but just from that personal achievement standpoint) was when I was 24 on Christmas Eve. My mother had died 6 months earlier, and had battled cancer for many years. During her struggles, almost none of her so-called "family" (she had 6 living siblings) wanted anything to do with her. No phone calls, no visits, nothing. They posted at the funeral and made their little courtesy grieving appearance, at that was it. And these were the family members who, when I was growing up, chastised my family for not living in the same town as them, living a life that didn't involve hanging with family 100% of the time, and just generally making something of themselves instead of working min wage jobs and convincing themselves they were better than everybody else because they were "blue collar". O, and it didn't help they all were from Pittsburgh, so I already thought less of them from an intelligence standpoint.

That Christmas Eve, I went to a bar with my dad and my brother, had several beers, then drove over to my cousins house, where all of the family congregates on Christmas Eve. I calmly went room to room, picking out the extraordinary pieces of shit that were her siblings and siblings kids, and I methodically told them how big a piece of shit they were, and that this would be the last time they'd ever see or hear from me again.

It was glorious.

And to close the loop, that's the moment I decided that just automatically "respecting elders" wasn't how I was going to live my life. Respect is earned, not handed out based on age. I didn't care how long these people had lived. I know what they've done with their lives and what they haven't, and what kind of people they are. And they didn't deserve my respect, so they got disrespected.

I'll raise my kids to be respectful when they're young, but to be able to make their own judgments about people as they get older.

Love the story. Good for you for standing up for not only yourself, but also for your Mom as well. I'm sure she was smiling on you when you took care of business. Kudos.

I'm also seeing everyone's point here too.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
@Dom McRaven

How are we feeling about CJ? I’d be more than happy to land Houston, but Jones would be unfair. This is definitely an #SIIE situation, but the Council needs to get together and talk.
As much as I'd love to get a pass-rusher of his caliber, I don't know much he wants. Plus, with the signing of Chris Smith, I doubt it tbh.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
The disrespecting elders thing had a shelf life for me. When I was a kid or a teenager, agreed, it was a complete non-starter to disrespect an older person. Once I became an adult (really not much older than 18) and realized that most of my mom's side of the family, of which all of them would be considered my "elders" were just total trash human beings, I went out of my way to let them know just how trash they were.

One of the personal crowning achievements of my life (I got a wife and kids and I know they're "#1", but just from that personal achievement standpoint) was when I was 24 on Christmas Eve. My mother had died 6 months earlier, and had battled cancer for many years. During her struggles, almost none of her so-called "family" (she had 6 living siblings) wanted anything to do with her. No phone calls, no visits, nothing. They posted at the funeral and made their little courtesy grieving appearance, at that was it. And these were the family members who, when I was growing up, chastised my family for not living in the same town as them, living a life that didn't involve hanging with family 100% of the time, and just generally making something of themselves instead of working min wage jobs and convincing themselves they were better than everybody else because they were "blue collar". O, and it didn't help they all were from Pittsburgh, so I already thought less of them from an intelligence standpoint.

That Christmas Eve, I went to a bar with my dad and my brother, had several beers, then drove over to my cousins house, where all of the family congregates on Christmas Eve. I calmly went room to room, picking out the extraordinary pieces of shit that were her siblings and siblings kids, and I methodically told them how big a piece of shit they were, and that this would be the last time they'd ever see or hear from me again.

It was glorious.

And to close the loop, that's the moment I decided that just automatically "respecting elders" wasn't how I was going to live my life. Respect is earned, not handed out based on age. I didn't care how long these people had lived. I know what they've done with their lives and what they haven't, and what kind of people they are. And they didn't deserve my respect, so they got disrespected.

I'll raise my kids to be respectful when they're young, but to be able to make their own judgments about people as they get older.
I can only hope my first son Lamar Jackson doesn't ever read this post my man!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I fucking hate that Xavien Howard is demanding a trade, I’m straight up scared thinking about what team picks him up
I fucking hate that an NFL player signs a 5 year extension, at market value, roughly 2 years ago, is technically only in his second year of the actual extension, and is already bitching about wanting a new one because he's not getting paid enough in his own arbitrary mind.

He's the 12th highest paid Corner in terms of cash value in 2021.
He's the 5th highest paid Corner in terms of cap hit in 2021.
He's the 5th highest paid Corner in terms of AAV in 2021.

Miami just tell him to shut up or sit out.

I fucking hate that an NFL player signs a 5 year extension, at market value, roughly 2 years ago, is technically only in his second year of the actual extension, and is already bitching about wanting a new one because he's not getting paid enough in his own arbitrary mind.

The best part is where he says that he played under the contract he signed without complaining like it's some act of altruism. What a flog.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Absolutely, there’s no reason he should be protesting his contract, at all.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Not to sound like an old man but the lack of any loyalty and the complete bitchness of these players is so damn annoying. Are you serious howard? you make top money and just signed. He's also playing at his peak in Miami and they have a good system for him. I hope he gets traded and sucks just like every other superstar who pulls this shit.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Absolutely, there’s no reason he should be protesting his contract, at all.
Well, after reviewing his tweet, it's even worse. Not only does he want a trade, but his reason for wanting a trade seems to be based on the idea that "I signed a contract in 2019 that I didn't fully understand".

So basically you signed a deal you didn't understand, now realize how stupid it is, and now want the team to trade you for your own stupidity?
And comically, I can see why it was a bad deal for him. He got about $39M guaranteed, so less than half of his total extension, and the structure of the deal basically only paid him about $27M in total the last two years. By comparison, Marlon made $22M last year, and is owed $18M more this year.

Like I give him props for owning the fact that he signed a bad deal for him, but he's an idiot if he thinks that's a good reason to justify a trade, or that somehow he's playing well below market value. He's not.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not to sound like an old man but the lack of any loyalty and the complete bitchness of these players is so damn annoying. Are you serious howard? you make top money and just signed. He's also playing at his peak in Miami and they have a good system for him. I hope he gets traded and sucks just like every other superstar who pulls this shit.
It's case by case. Sometimes the players position is totally justifiable... played great, playing at below market value on a deal that was signed many years prior, has no guaranteed money left, etc.
This ain't that. This guy is clueless.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I also think he's full of shit with the "I didnt understand" excuse as well.
Guess it depends on what he "didn't understand". My guess would be a) he's realizing he probably got low-balled on the guaranteed money and b) he took a pretty "flat" payout structure, meaning he's making basically between $10-15M every year of the deal.

NFL players generally want their contracts front loaded with cash, so they can get more money upfront and sooner. Higher roster/signing bonuses, etc. He didn't get that. The reason that's advantageous for the player is because if you can get a lot of your upfront money in year 1 or 2 of say a 5 year deal, you can come back in year 3 or 4, when you have no guaranteed money left and your salary is below market value for comp, and have better leverage for negotiations. His problem is he missed out on the leverage train. He signed a flattened structure and then realized he's not making as much as he thinks he should, while also not having made as much to begin with.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Perspectives, values, upbringing, etc all factor into pretty much anything and everything. I got my ass handed to me if I ever disrespected an elder in any way, let alone yelled at them. Yelling at them in public? Damn, I may not be alive today had I done that... lmao
AMEN!! Till this day ive never disrespected a woman nor an elder..

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
CFB30721-0D82-4ECF-BD53-A9A3719AF6AF.jpeg

aaron Donald
Lamar Jackson
Quenton Nelson
Shaq Barrett
Davante Adams

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
View attachment 2751
aaron Donald
Lamar Jackson
Quenton Nelson
Shaq Barrett
Davante Adams

Aaron Donald- no more needs to be said; one man wrecking crew; can also play running back too, I am a huge believer in that with his power and athleticism

Action Jackson- he'd be absolutely unstoppable against world competition, who would have NEVER seen a guy this talented in the way he is talented

Tyreek Hill- another part of the Olympics is also about the entertainment factor; Hill is not only supremely talented, but put him with Lamar's speed/athleticism and we're talking fireworks

Quenton Nelson- need someone to block, why not Nelson?

Devin White- athleticism and explosiveness, again not only is the talent there in waves, but the entertainment factor would be up there as well