• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I used to buy the idea of "freak" injuries, but I've really soured on that idea. As you may have noticed I have many times over the last like 3 years made comments that American football is fundamentally flawed in terms of it's demand on the body as evidenced by the ravaging issues of injuries league wide. I get freak things do happen, but when you consider the number of season ending non contact knee injuries that happen each season, you can't call it freak. In fact it's quite consistent. I'll do a little investigation and report back, but idk. I come to the same conclusion each time which is it's just sad for the players and the team. Sad for the fans too. Sad day

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I used to buy the idea of "freak" injuries, but I've really soured on that idea. As you may have noticed I have many times over the last like 3 years made comments that American football is fundamentally flawed in terms of it's demand on the body as evidenced by the ravaging issues of injuries league wide. I get freak things do happen, but when you consider the number of season ending non contact knee injuries that happen each season, you can't call it freak. In fact it's quite consistent. I'll do a little investigation and report back, but idk. I come to the same conclusion each time which is it's just sad for the players and the team. Sad for the fans too. Sad day

i mean there's nearly 3000 players practicing on rosters during training camps - it doesnt seem that far-fetched to me that you would get this many "freak" non-contact injuries purely based on the number of players and practices that happen in July, August and early September

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i mean there's nearly 3000 players practicing on rosters during training camps - it doesnt seem that far-fetched to me that you would get this many "freak" non-contact injuries purely based on the number of players and practices that happen in July, August and early September

I totally agree with you! I guess all I'm saying is I don't think these are freak injuries. I don't know that there is anything that can be done. Does it make sense to reduced practice demands? Reduce the number of reps, reduce the number of injuries? I don't think it's that simple, but maybe small changes should be considered. Just really unsure honestly.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I totally agree with you! I guess all I'm saying is I don't think these are freak injuries. I don't know that there is anything that can be done. Does it make sense to reduced practice demands? Reduce the number of reps, reduce the number of injuries? I don't think it's that simple, but maybe small changes should be considered. Just really unsure honestly.

why dont you think they're freak injuries?

what im saying is that there's so many players in camp every year that statistically it's likely that these freak injuries are likely to happen - there's just more players than in most other sports so it feels like it's happening more often (because there's more players it can happen to)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
why dont you think they're freak injuries?

what im saying is that there's so many players in camp every year that statistically it's likely that these freak injuries are likely to happen - there's just more players than in most other sports so it feels like it's happening more often (because there's more players it can happen to)

I'm still agreeing with you. I guess what I'm saying is not clear and that's because it's nothing more than semantics. I have the exact same analysis on the situation as you as to why it's happening. It's clearly statistical.

Each individual injury is yes, a freak injury, but the process that leads to these injuries is clearly not freak, but rather pretty deterministic.

That's why I'm so interested in potentially investigating ways to make the game safer.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I said when JK went down it would give Lamar the opportunity if he won the Superbowl to have a literal storybook season. That's only been exaggerated now. Let's see what he can do. I really believe in him.

Simba

Staff Member
If it makes anyone feel any better, I just played a game of Madden with Bell on the Ravens and he's really good on there...

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gotta say I don’t think we can lose this much talent , along with injuries to offensive line and receivers and expect much from the offense .

Yes losing Peters really hurts but I still think our D can beat up teams.

Our offense could be quite pathetic , particularly early on .

I could easily see us not making the playoffs now this year and expect to get beat by the Raiders .

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Gotta say I don’t think we can lose this much talent , along with injuries to offensive line and receivers and expect much from the offense .

Yes losing Peters really hurts but I still think our D can beat up teams.

Our offense could be quite pathetic , particularly early on .

I could easily see us not making the playoffs now this year and expect to get beat by the Raiders .

i mean tbf the OL isnt missing anyone anymore