• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
had literally never even heard of him before and i had like 250+ player grades and notes from this class as well as another like 30-40 guys i was aware of but hadnt watched film on

but it's cool that they asked james proche about him before the draft

Didn't know that about the Proche thing!

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Last year Patrick Queen was improving a little down the stretch. Than our ILB coach was hired outside of the organization and we brought in Rob Ryan. Could Rob Ryan be the issue or a combination of a new coach and Patrick Queen. Anyway just a thought.

Also, could our defensive line from last year not be as good as it is this year and that is causing some issues for Queen as well.

I just wanted to bring up some talking points. Thoughts?
Naw its queen for sure lol

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
A friend of mine said Queen is currently ranked as 84th linebacker , worst in the NFL. .

Just sad and very disappointed.

The positive here is he can only go up in the ranking.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
A friend of mine said Queen is currently ranked as 84th linebacker , worst in the NFL. .

If they can figger out he's not not a mike some progress can be made.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Don't like ESPN. DO like Louis Riddick. He was watching Bateman practice pre-game and basically said he's the truth. The passing offense is going to take off.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I still wish Darren Waller was with us, he sums up the entire situation perfectly. After what he went through with substance abuse, having people help him become the man and player he is today, I'm glad he is willing to help Gruden become a better person.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean it's also PFF and they're largely underscoring him in coverage - he's been rubbish in the running game but they're consistently screwing up his coverage grade

he's been bad - but not worst LB in the league bad or even close

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Don't like ESPN. DO like Louis Riddick. He was watching Bateman practice pre-game and basically said he's the truth. The passing offense is going to take off.

tbf riddick's talking about bateman like that because he's also a draft guy so watched his tape and did all the pre-draft prep etc.

so his opinions not gonna be related necessarily to how he's coming on

but yeah - lots of guys were talking about how bateman would be that number 1 for us because hollywood isnt - well hollywood's playing like a number 1 so...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I still wish Darren Waller was with us, he sums up the entire situation perfectly. After what he went through with substance abuse, having people help him become the man and player he is today, I'm glad he is willing to help Gruden become a better person.

the big differences in their situations relate to power dynamics and who their "flaws" impact - waller had no power when he was a substance abuser and was also not impacting others necessarily whereas gruden inherently wields power generally from his role in the industry and had views that harm or disadvantage others

but 100% it's cool that waller wants to give him space to improve - i think it's just important to be clear that he doesnt need to be in a position of power in order to improve as a person

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
tbf riddick's talking about bateman like that because he's also a draft guy so watched his tape and did all the pre-draft prep etc.

so his opinions not gonna be related necessarily to how he's coming on

but yeah - lots of guys were talking about how bateman would be that number 1 for us because hollywood isnt - well hollywood's playing like a number 1 so...

People have been so weird about Hollywood. He had 3 bad plays in a stretch. Gotta accept that a face value. Outside of that, he's just been DOMINANT. And ridiculously so. He's on track for like close to 1600 yards. Even if he ends up at 1100 it will have been a great WR1 season.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

bart scott for some reason has been hating on the ravens in the media since lamar took over - now he's praising lamar and criticising hollywood etc. in order to do it

idk why he's been one of the hateriest worst analysts when it comes to the ravens the last few years lol - idk where it comes from

rossihunter2

Staff Member
People have been so weird about Hollywood. He had 3 bad plays in a stretch. Gotta accept that a face value. Outside of that, he's just been DOMINANT. And ridiculously so. He's on track for like close to 1600 yards. Even if he ends up at 1100 it will have been a great WR1 season.

on a low-volume passing offence too lol

he's 8th in yards despite being 27th in targets and 18th in receptions and despite dropping multiple bombs and TDs against the lions

he's also 2nd in TDs...

even against the lions in his worst game of the year where he was only targeted once after half-time after those first half drops he still had 53 yds and was completely uncoverable

i think the reason media/analysts havent trusted him is because the ravens low-volume run-first attack and our inability to create time for lamar and the lack of route cohesion limited him massively and even then he still went off in the playoffs (again)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
on a low-volume passing offence too lol

he's 8th in yards despite being 27th in targets and 18th in receptions and despite dropping multiple bombs and TDs against the lions

he's also 2nd in TDs...

even against the lions in his worst game of the year where he was only targeted once after half-time after those first half drops he still had 53 yds and was completely uncoverable

i think the reason media/analysts havent trusted him is because the ravens low-volume run-first attack and our inability to create time for lamar and the lack of route cohesion limited him massively and even then he still went off in the playoffs (again)

Guy is crazy good. As Lamar and the offense continue to evolve, he's gonna have a big next few years

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
not only that, in the last 11 games he's had 11 TDs.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Looks like Schefter dug himself into a hole following all the Gruden stuff and how he allowed former GM Bruce Allen to control the narrative of one of his stories. Now Yahoo is uncovering his past, wonder what Schefter did to get his daughter a job on Nickelodeon's NFL show.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/star-espn-reporter-adam-schefter-031711668.html
Yeah this is being wildly, wildly, wildly overblown by some of these so-called "journalists"...
For starters, there's no context here, and it was provided on Twitter by literally dozens of reporters who have done very similar things.

In this case, Bruce Allen was essentially the primary source for the article on an issue that's unrelated to anything these topics are covering. It's actually kind of unethical to NOT allow the primary source of an article proofread an article prior to submission to verify that what he was quoted as saying, what actually happened, etc. is, in fact, accurate. Some journalists will argue they'll never let the source read the entire article, however in this case, pretty much everything in the article was attributable to the primary source. Other journalists have been criticized for ethics violations in the past for only fact-checking certain portions of a story with a source, and then publishing information that wasn't accurate because they didn't check it with sources.

The only thing that "looks bad" is that he called Allen "Mr. Editor", which of course he shouldn't have done, though I'm sure was sort of a joke, since there's no way Schefter actually thinks Allen is an editor.

As for the rest of his "transgressions", they're comically minor to me and I personally wouldn't even consider any of them unethical.
Appearing in commercials?
Investing in a gambling app company?
Joining the board of an NFL developmental league?
I fail to see the unethical aspects here. He's a journalist. He's not in any real position of power. If the concern is that he somehow will report "favorably or unfavorably" on the NFL because of what stances he has in the business, who gives a shit. Journalists all over this country do the same for no other reason that some shitty-ass bias they have against somebody. Probably because a football player banged their daughter at some point and then didn't send flowers.

People act like he's the only reporter on Earth covering the NFL. If he fails to report something, somebody else will.

At the least the article gets something right. All the people, including myself, who use Schefter for sources of information, need to wake up and realize that you don't get the "scoops" he does by pissing off all your sources and writing bad things about the entity you're covering. That's a great way to get you no sources at all.